Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Not what I was expecting on Sunday's ride.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Not what I was expecting on Sunday's ride.

Old 03-26-13, 01:36 PM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't break this one out very often, but...

Old 03-26-13, 01:51 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Le Champion(totaled), '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Tre Cime, '91 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder what the A$$'s relationship with his father is like? Well maybe not. He certainly is angry at something. Arrogant incompetency for not being able to get the tire off the rim!
Old 03-26-13, 01:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2966 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 46 Posts
OP - so you got the flat fixed so she could ride? awesome.

I come across a-holes like that at my part time job at home depot. I can be helping a customer and someone else over hears what I'm saysing and they bully in because either they are more knowledgeable or experienced or just think so. they don't say excuse me maybe I can help I've come across this before they just barge in like I'm an idiot and I'm not an idiot. since I have other customers to help I don't just stand there, especially if they are a-holes I just walk away. maybe they help them maybe they don't but I'm not standing around to be insulted.

the OPs situation is different though and I think I would have stuck it out like he did, especially since she spoke up for herself. good for her. sounds like a growing experience for her.

hopefully the moron will reflect on his behaviour and grow a little as well
Old 03-26-13, 05:19 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
hopefully the moron will reflect on his behaviour and grow a little as well
Nah, the moron is clueless. He's probably telling his friends about the two morons he tried to help.
Old 03-26-13, 05:28 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Older guys/gals have more tact than them young 'uns!
Old 04-03-13, 10:40 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Can't say too much that hasn't already been said ... except, thankfully not EVERYONE is like that young guy. I rode with a friend on a weekend group ride last year on a visit to Scottsdale. At the end of the 50 mile ride I discovered my seat bag open and wallet missing. Somewhere along the ride I had opened the bag and obviously didn't close it up. My bad. We spent the next hour driving the entire route looking for it with no success. Resigned to the fact that it was lost and that I'd have to call the credit card companies, etc I got a call from my wife saying that someone found it and gave me a cell number to call. Another cyclist, a young fellow I might add, saw what he thought was a wallet and broke off from the group he was riding, turned around and went back to pick it up, then had to chase the group to catch up. At the end of his ride he took the time to look through the wallet looking for some kind of ID. Keep in mind I'm just visiting the area from Canada. He found an REI receipt for something I'd purchased the day before and called the store to see if they could help. REI then looked up my member number and called my home to say that the wallet had been found. PS All the cash, etc, was still in the wallet! I was very thankful that a young man took the time and energy to turn around to pick up the wallet, and then chase the group he was riding. A big thank you to all in the cycling community who go the extra mile!
Old 04-04-13, 12:26 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILClyde View Post
I know I've said this before on these pages, but I tend to feel sorry for people like that. I always try to keep in mind that I'll wake up the next day and not have to deal with them. They'll wake up and still be an idiot.
+1 Trouble is, the idiot probably doesn't realize he is an idiot. He sure put the young woman in an awkward position. Speaking from my side of the hill, old doesn't always mean incompetent.

Last edited by Clarabelle; 04-04-13 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-04-13, 05:46 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm rarely in a hurry so always stop to help other cyclists as I always carry a small tool/repair kit. I believe in karma (but am often disappointed).

Two years ago I was on a 30 mile charity ride on my rigid mtb and was determined to beat two hours. With a couple of miles to go I came across one rider with a puncture and no repair kit. Stopped to help (although I must admit I thought twice about it) - and was 5 minutes outside my target time
Old 04-04-13, 07:19 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
I believe in karma (but am often disappointed).
I believe in karma, too. It's just sometimes, the timescale is longer than we'd like...
Old 04-04-13, 08:33 AM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny thing is, the moron is probably so clueless that he thinks he impressed the girl.... Can't you just see him telling his arrogant idiot friends his version of the story- gloating about it, with his chest puffed-out, as if he did something great and admirable? "I could tell she wanted me; and I really showed that stupid old geezer!"[Does high-five with equally moronic friends]

By contrast, I still remember something I saw a good 30 years ago, which didn't even involve me: I was waiting for a bus in NYC- and this old lady nearby hailed a cab. The cab pulls up, and this young black guy who was standing in the background, swiftly walks over out-of-the-blue and opens the cab door and helps the old lady in! To see something like that- in an urban jungle, no less..... and ironically, something like that accomplishes more to make the person doing it look superior, and to make others feel inept, than all the cock-strutting he-man BS. I know I sure felt stupid and inferior for just standing there, while this conscientious young guy did a good deed!
Old 04-04-13, 04:40 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At some point in the offender's development as a cyclist, he removed the dork disk on his first bike

and ate it.
Old 04-04-13, 05:03 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyFranky View Post
At some point in the offender's development as a cyclist, he removed the dork disk on his first bike

and ate it.

You know the thing is, I'm guessing here, he thought he was being helpful. Can't think why else he would stop.