Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   So, I decided to check out Strava ... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/880348-so-i-decided-check-out-strava.html)

cafzali 04-04-13 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 15444972)
I tried the Strava app on my iPhone and wasn't impressed with it. Among other things, I didn't like the fact that you couldn't see your ride map and stats at the same time. I have been using Cyclemeter and like it much better. Once you define a ride, it shows the route the next time you do that ride and shows your position as you ride. The map and ride data is on the same screen. It also exports to several formats for different sites, including Strava and Garmin Connect.

Most who are fans of Strava use Garmin devices and synch them with the site, as they just like to track either their progress on a particular regular route or compete against others on regular routes.

Dudelsack 04-04-13 02:19 PM

If you are having trouble locating the club, use the club search function and Louisville, KY as the location.

hanes 04-05-13 08:28 PM

Thanks, Dudelsack. I found it with your help.

Now I'm too kewl for my skool!

iBud 04-09-13 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As. you know, I had a wipeout in a corner the Saturday before last. It turns out that in my crash, the derailleur hanger got bent in a little bit. I thought I was just a sucky bike mechanic or something, as I couldn't quite get the rear derailleur dialed in completely, which made for some "interesting" shifting, especially on the climbs this past Saturday. I has been a bit excited, as the second package arrived from Chain Reaction Cycles (with the tires, tubes, and Campy 10s cassette), so I could finally mount my new Campy wheels. After Saturday's ride, I went to my LBS and the mechanic there spotted the hanger problem. Once he straightened it out a bit everything was good to go. Here is the ride.

I had every intention of repeating that same ride on Sunday, but I didn't feel all that great and I still don't like headwinds. In the end, I cut the ride quite a bit short, but still put 14 miles in. Here is the Sunday ride.

On the way back, I was reminded of why we cyclists have to be ever vigilant when on the road. I was minding my own business, just riding down the road, when out of nowhere (really, from a side street on my right), this car enters my lane, pushing me into the line for oncoming traffic. I don't have any kind of horn, so I used my only weapon - my voice. I yelled at the driver, whose window was rolled up, three times before she even looked in my direction. I did not use foul language, simply asked her what her problem was at that time ("Yo lady, what's your problem? Didn't you even see me?"). Her idiot boyfriend/husband/brother/etc.... in the passenger seat had her stop, jumped out of the car, then began verbally threatening me. I, still quite a bit angry and scared, yelled at him that I was on a vehicle of the road and that they should've waited for me to go, as I clearly had the right of way. I then turned around and rode back down the street, not knowing if he wanted to upgrade his assault with battery. A little ways down the street, I turned around and continued on my way. The woman's companion, unbeknownst to me, had waited for me to continue down the street, then continued his threats. I'm not sure why he was so mad - I didn't even know he was in the car, as I only saw him when he exited the vehicle. Drivers don't care, at times, out here in Hawaii. Even the ones that share the lanes get too close. It's a good thing I was somewhat expected that woman driver's maneuver, otherwise, I may not have been around to make this post.

I guess I'm still angry about the incident. I make it a point to ride very carefully, stopping at every stop sign and stop light, signaling every turn or deceleration, and knowing the law regarding bicycle travel in the areas I choose to ride. I do not use foul language, as it really only serves to exacerbate the issue, but I still get these idiot drivers that don't seem to care about anything on the road other than the other cars. It's pretty scary when you see a car driving towards you, not stopping or even noticing that you are there. I'm still a bit of a wide load, so it's really not that hard to see me. Furthermore, my bike is painted primarily white, so it is also quite easy to see. This marks the third time, since I got back on the bike in January, that I have nearly been killed by inattentive drivers - twice on Combined Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. I told my wife that I really should get a GoPro camera to document the crazy drivers here.

Anyway, I don't mean to be so long-winded, but it is sort of therapeutic to write all this down a few times. It gets it out of my system. I hope drivers in your areas are not as bad as they are here, but at least I will never lose my desire to ride, just my enjoyment of riding in certain sections of Honolulu.

Oh, and here is a pic of my bike with the new wheels. I just ordered a Prologo Scratch Pro TS saddle and will post a pic of it, once I put it on.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=309648

Dudelsack 04-09-13 07:50 PM

It's interesting to look at the street view of your ride. On one hand the scenery is gorgeous. On the other hand the roads look treacherous from a cyclists vantage point. Be careful and stay safe.

iBud 04-10-13 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15491683)
It's interesting to look at the street view of your ride. On one hand the scenery is gorgeous. On the other hand the roads look treacherous from a cyclists vantage point. Be careful and stay safe.

Yeah, I've found that you have to anticipate the driver's decisions more closely here than in other areas of the country, such as Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia, the only other states where I have ridden. In addition, the condition of the roads here is horrendous when compared to the mainland. I have a friend at work that stipulates this is due to the coral-based asphalt heavily used here. He says that is is simply not as strong as the asphalt used in the mainland. All I know is, the roads back in North Carolina are silky smooth and I would love to ride on them (if only I didn't have to pay the extra $$$ to take my bike with me).

The scenery here is what makes it worthwhile. I don't climb well, but after I get to the top of Kokohead (at the entrance road to Haunama Bay), I can look back and see how far I have climbed. As I go further on, it becomes even more impressive. The first time, since I started riding again, that I got to Sandy's (the last climb before the turnaround point), I couldn't believe that I had actually completed the climb. When I look back at this, sometime in the future, I will still remember how difficult the climb is to me right now. According to Strava, there is a fairly short section that they rate at 70% :eek: I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I do know that, at least for me now, it is a true leg-breaker. Of course, if my weight loss plan actually succeeds, the climbing will become a bit easier and thus more "enjoyable". Still, it's nice to take a small break at the top of the climbs and get a good view of just how far you've climbed.

Another nice thing about Strava is the ability to see routes ridden by other cyclists in your area. I already know of a couple of roads to "avoid", due to the rather steep climbs :D Actually, I've found some other rides that I may attempt myself, although I know the KOM will still kick my ass :D All I want to do is go for a ride and see lots of PRs set, then see them get surpassed time and time again. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm fairly sure that I can beat myself :D

iBud 04-10-13 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dudelsack, I never thought of viewing my route via Street View. Thanks for the suggestion. I've attached a screenshot of the intersection where I almost got taken out. I was traveling in the same direction as the white car. The woman was in the side street on the right. Although she stopped for the stop sign, she couldn't be bothered to look in my direction, and just pulled out. Luckily for me, there was no bus coming in the opposite direction :D

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=309706

eay 04-10-13 07:49 PM

I like Strava, enough that I paid for a subscription. I use it on my Android phone. found the 50+ group (the Louisville tip was what I needed)

The info the app displays while on the ride is not right. Avg speed is off, elevation is off, distance is off.
After the information has processed and synched, it pretty much agrees with my onboard Cateye and my husband's Garmin data. Frustrating that it is so far off while in the midst of a ride.

repechage 04-13-13 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by here2day (Post 15465886)
I live in a popular cycling area in Southern California (Palos Verdes). After starting to ride in the fall of 2005 I started using Strava on Jan 1, 2012. During 2012 it definitely influenced my cycling.

- I was able to more easily track my mileage which caused me to put in a strong finish to 2012 as I wanted reach a goal that I didn't even plan at the beginning of the year.
- Up until I saw a friend crash my descents were becoming faster. I even held the KOM on a popular descent for a few months. That was stupid, risky behavior and I doubt I would have gone there but for chasing a PR.
- I was able to get new PR's with regularity during the first part of 2012 but as time went on that became much harder.
- If I think a PR is in reach on a given day I'll push myself harder.
- It is fun to compete with your friends.
- It is also humbling to see the segment times of the stronger riders here.

To me the "social" aspect to Strava is fascinating. I think these folks have built one of the best "social" web apps out there.

I run it on an iPhone.

PV is not a bad place to live indeed. I used to train there in the 70's and while riding around, decided that would be the PLACE to live, aside from Santa Barbara. I use strava intermittently. Basically, I want to avoid becoming a strava slave. I see plenty of them out there, running stops, doing other risky stuff. I want to be a really old cyclist someday, not just an over 50 one. My fun is making guys on modern carbon bikes fell perplexed as I keep up with them on a bike that is 40+ years old, has less than half the ratios, and weighs close to 10 lbs more than theirs.

So many of mod bike owners feel that the new bikes are Faster.

iBud 04-14-13 11:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Aloha again everyone,

I felt great on Saturday - maybe I should have ridden to Kailua and back! Actually, I was planning on doing my "normal" Saturday route then doubling back to Maunalua Bay Beach Park today, making my first 50-mile ride since I got back on the bike. I had some family obligations today, however, so I didn't get on the bike. On well, for anyone that is interested, here is my Saturday ride.

On a somewhat related topic, I have a question for anyone with a white Prologo saddle. I just purchased a new Prologo Scratch Pro TS saddle, which was bright white. After my ride, however, it has reddish brown stains over pretty much the entire surface. I'll attach before and after pics so that y'all can see what I'm seeing. I've tried water, leather cleaner, and windex in what have thus far been failed attempts to clean the saddle. I don't really care too much, as I love the comfort afforded by this particular saddle, but I don't think it should look like it does after only one ride. The weather was perfect, not a drop of rain in the sky, but it was hot, and I sweat like a stuck pig. We did make a couple of stops and we sat down on the park benches and/or rock walls at the beach parks. The only other thing I can consider as a possible cause is Udderly Smooth, which I use to avoid saddle sores, and because it treats my skin rather nicely. Anyway, here are the pics.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=310883http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=310884

OldsCOOL 04-15-13 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by eay (Post 15496383)
I like Strava, enough that I paid for a subscription. I use it on my Android phone. found the 50+ group (the Louisville tip was what I needed)

The info the app displays while on the ride is not right. Avg speed is off, elevation is off, distance is off.
After the information has processed and synched, it pretty much agrees with my onboard Cateye and my husband's Garmin data. Frustrating that it is so far off while in the midst of a ride.

Cell tower triangulation, cell reception and smartphone data processing all wrapped together in a sometimes slower package. A GPS it aint quite. How are you liking battery drain?

iBud 04-15-13 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 15511460)
Cell tower triangulation, cell reception and smartphone data processing all wrapped together in a sometimes slower package. A GPS it aint quite. How are you liking battery drain?

eay, you should really get an iPhone. It has built-in GPS and even on a 3-hour ride my battery isn't hit that hard. I normally have my iPhone in a protective case in one of my jersey pockets, so I'm not looking at it while I'm riding anyway.

OldsCOOL, other than that, I have very good cell reception in my normal ride areas (even with AT&T :eek:) I'm not sure if the GPS works as well as a dedicated GPS device, like a Garmin, especially when one of the climbs has a section, albeit extremely short, with a 70% grade.

OldsCOOL 04-15-13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by iBud (Post 15513953)
eay, you should really get an iPhone. It has built-in GPS and even on a 3-hour ride my battery isn't hit that hard. I normally have my iPhone in a protective case in one of my jersey pockets, so I'm not looking at it while I'm riding anyway.

OldsCOOL, other than that, I have very good cell reception in my normal ride areas (even with AT&T :eek:) I'm not sure if the GPS works as well as a dedicated GPS device, like a Garmin, especially when one of the climbs has a section, albeit extremely short, with a 70% grade.

I have a 4 that is newer so I'm expecting better battery life than my old 3GS that only lasted a bit more than 2.5hrs even in a 3-4 bar 3G area. The tracking apps use it up quick. My most travelled strava course is only 20mi so I dont complain much.

iBud 04-15-13 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 15514142)
I have a 4 that is newer so I'm expecting better battery life than my old 3GS that only lasted a bit more than 2.5hrs even in a 3-4 bar 3G area. The tracking apps use it up quick. My most travelled strava course is only 20mi so I dont complain much.

I have only used my iPhone 5 with Strava, as I am a relatively late bloomer (I got the iPhone 5 within the first two weeks), but you should see better battery life with an iPhone 4. Apple has done a pretty good job of squeezing more and more battery life out with each iteration.

jcahow 04-20-13 11:32 PM

I have been using Strava on a Virgin Mobile Optimus Elite Android phone for about five weeks. It started out fine for the first half dozen rides but it has gone down hill from there. In the last dozen rides the Strava app has locked up three times (losing all data) and had syncing problems three times (losing all data). It seems to be getting worse as my rides are getting longer. It is no fun to be out riding 3-4+ hours and then find out you lost everything collected for the ride. It may work better on an Apple iPhone or a different Android phone but I am getting ready to uninstall it as I find it very unstable. They were responsive to my Support inquiries but offered no help in resolving my issues. I highly question the Calories used and Power numbers it calculates and I wish it kept track of associated weather for the ride (no temperature or wind data). Its a good idea but it needs work...........................

iBud 04-25-13 05:35 PM

Well, I have a metric century to ride on Sunday. It's all flat, mostly, but there's a stretch with a rather nasty headwind. Fortunately, it's on the out leg, so when on the in leg (on the way back), we should get a rather nice tailwind :D I'll do the Strava thing, and will be able to film part of it, assuming our AAR team can find the actual bike mount they ordered with their large number of GoPro cameras (I get to borrow one this weekend). I'll post everything as soon as I can after the metric century.