Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heh. Went through snow on my bicycle for the first time...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 11:35 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts

I was so impatient to ride a longer trip, that I went ahead and hit the confluence trail before the snow had entirely melted off.

Mostly there was enough clear to keep me out of the snow, and was never worse than this:

However there was a section between Ridge Street and Riverfront Park, where the trail was still covered in about 2" of wet slush-bottomed snow, so I plowed through it, just for the experience! I quickly discovered two things:

1. That slushy icy snow instantly collects around the brake structure and stays of the bike, and the rims of the wheels.
2. Even with my cantilever brakes and alloy wheels, my front brakes took a vacation for an extended period of time.

I now feel it's time to go spend some $$ and get the kool-stop salmon pads that everyone seems to recommend. Slowing down slowly, even with a gorilla-grip on the brake lever, could be quite frightening in the wrong place.

The actual pedaling through the snow however, wasn't really all that bad, even without fenders, though the rear rack and double-daytripper panniers stood in to keep the snow and crud off of my back.

It was definitely worth it though, since I had the MUP almost to myself. (remember to right-click images below, and select "view image" to see them full sized!)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CRW_324_1440.jpg (98.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 03-29-13 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-29-13, 01:32 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Riding in snow is not a problem provided the tyres can keep grip. Snow on asphalt is not the best place to find that grip but Snow on hardpack- gravel or grass is pretty good till you lose grip going uphill. But this year and I have woossed out. Looking at your pics and I can feel the cold so it has convinced me that Snow riding is a young man's game. Taken a couple of years ago when the snow just could not be resisted.

Although I think coming down the slope was worse.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-30-13, 07:01 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
What a laugh. Today is the day that trail "officially" opens, and it's amazingly foggy outside, with threats of rain. I'm glad I went when I did, and I am not riding through snow again any time soon!

Is your bicycle just standing by itself from the snow holding it up?

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 03-30-13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-30-13, 07:17 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found the loose pack snow to be surprisingly stable to ride in. But part of that was due to tires I was using: they weren't studded, but they did have great tread for snow. I did not have any problems with brakes (because I use disk brakes) nor did I have any trouble with it collecting under my fenders. But I did find it tiresome to push through... Like pedaling through mud.

But packed snow was a different matter: that threw the bike this way and that and bounced it up and down. Very unsettling and uncomfortable.

As the winter wore on (and on, and on...) I found that I would not seek out the snow -- but neither would I avoid it if I came upon some...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0231.jpg (100.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-01-13, 01:51 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum

Is your bicycle just standing by itself from the snow holding it up?
This is part of the South downs Way-a 100 mile trail that runs across part of the south in the UK. Gets a bit exposed and wind is normally the problem. Snow and Drifts will occur on the lee side of any Hedge or fence. First clip is on the bank alongside the trail that is in a shallow gully. Once started I managed to ride up about 1/2 mile on the hard packed snow but coming down took the gulley. It was "Whiteout" conditions and did not see the drift covering the gulley. Bike was upright but then had to drag the bike out of the drift.That was harder than riding up the hill.

Spike Milligan