Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What really works to get you excited about cycling?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What really works to get you excited about cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 08:08 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great idea. thank you
Old 04-15-13, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I think your first step needs to be getting your bike in shape and moving it to a convenient location to just get on and go. When my energy and motivation are lacking, it only takes one tiny excuse not to ride. My suggestion is to eliminate all possible excuses ("I need to assemble the wheels," "I need to drag the bike out of the basement") and then give yourself a little push the first beautiful spring day.
Old 04-15-13, 05:19 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Maybe its something else.
Old 04-15-13, 11:55 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just start riding.

Throughout my adult life I've always been utterly amazed and delighted with this simple, elegant machine that allows me to cover huge distances at great speed with so little effort - just that initial roll down the driveway or across the parking lot as I head out for a ride is enough to put an instant grin on my face. In years past the memory of that experience helped me to keep at it for that rough first 30 days each season when the bum is complaining and the quads are burning at every little incline.

So don't worry about how far, or how fast, just start accumulating some saddle time and if it's in your blood, you'll eventually start to look for excuses to get ON the bike!
Old 04-15-13, 12:20 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Well, thank you all. Nothing has popped out so far. It used to be visions of a new bike or time goals would be motivation. I now have a great second bike. Timing rides used to work but now that I don't have to commute I don't. The timing reached a flat line and doesn't change. Not dead but not fast just so-so. In the past if I push it, then I start having tendon issues with right leg. I've tried a couple of group rides, but those have been of the road racing type and 1- don't like the pack riding, 2- wrong bikes for pack riding. I'll have to see if any rides that are not close formation rides. I could drive 60 miles to ride on sat's with brother in law, but he's often too competitive when it's just the 2 of us. He group rides 3x a week so big fitness mismatch.

It's the start of swim season so will be getting a slight bit better, but it's hard when had not worked out in forever.
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
I assume the Trek TT bike is yours. First, get a bike fit on that bike. You need a lot more seat to bar drop to get more body rotation toward the bars - more comfort, less stress on the legs and back. Your tendon matter may be totally fit related. Get coach and learn how to time trial and work on core and stretching to optimize TT position. Check out these https://www.dbcraceteam.org/local-rid...eek-time-trial which are close to where you live. If you have been there and done that as well, (doubtful), then start running and swimming and go Tri.
Old 04-15-13, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
If you have been there and done that as well, (doubtful), then start running and swimming and go Tri.
And then you'll have to tell your parents that you're......aw, never mind......

Old 04-15-13, 01:09 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get excited about riding by looking at my bikes.
Old 04-15-13, 01:11 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Consciousness.
Old 04-15-13, 09:48 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
I assume the Trek TT bike is yours. First, get a bike fit on that bike. You need a lot more seat to bar drop to get more body rotation toward the bars - more comfort, less stress on the legs and back. Your tendon matter may be totally fit related. Get coach and learn how to time trial and work on core and stretching to optimize TT position. Check out these https://www.dbcraceteam.org/local-rid...eek-time-trial which are close to where you live. If you have been there and done that as well, (doubtful), then start running and swimming and go Tri.
I'm too out of shape for time trials. Yes it is a speed concept. Fitting was done by slowtwitch certified fitter in wheat ridge I'm also a member of slowtwitch forums and have studied their material. That was the whole excitement about the SC. I'm not sure about tri's. a dual: ride/swim would be interesting thought. I used to run in high school but knees do not feel strong and so very hesitant about that part. When past 60 the muscles just aint.

Davis is a great lead. Not so much for races but for getting out. The Putah creek would be fun near the end of the season to get measurement of current level. I'ld remove the lighting I added for dark commutes on this TT bike.

The thigh problem is with old Giant touring bike, stationary bikes and somewhat with the SC. Turns out I've been relying on the left leg, even thought right handed, and need to build up the right leg so equal effort goes to each leg. I don't see how it can be related to fit since it happens on all 4 platforms.

First step will be to investigate the secure storage options in the garage and then we'll go. Your lead on Davis if really really good. Wish they had more non race rides. I don't want a pack ride. Everyone tells me a TT bike is not the right vehicle for a pack ride and I deliberately chose a non-pack bike because of my bad experiences with pack riding groups.
Old 04-16-13, 08:37 AM

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
It only takes sunshine and 55 - 85 degrees for me.
Old 04-16-13, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 944 Posts
"Been there, done that, is that all there is?"

Maybeso. If so enjoy it while you got it. At our age it seems like we've seen all there is to see sometimes. Then something new comes up that I ain't seen before. You're less likely to find something different if you're doing the same 'ol thing, at the same time, day after day. Good luck.
Old 04-16-13, 09:46 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've posted a similar thread. For me, training for an event helps the most. I really feel the need to fulfill my weekly goals. Some rides are great and some are work, and you never know ahead of time which one you'll get.

But right now I'm sitting here in my bike clothes, working up the motivation to get a 65 mile training ride in in 40 degree weather on somewhat dangerous roads.
Old 04-16-13, 09:48 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
free time to ride when no one needs me for anything. also temps in the "comfort zone" 40s-70s
Old 04-16-13, 06:19 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine was a tough 67 miler today, with lots of wind, and some very close trucks. One of those days that doesn't keep the excitement up. When I left I said "I don't really feel like riding today." and my wife reminded me to compare it to sitting in an office.
Old 04-17-13, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jessi_stensland-300x235.jpg (22.1 KB, 8 views)