Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

RD blew up on commute home

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 03:27 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

On the virgin commute for my newly modified Lemond I blew up the RD. It was 1/2 mile from work. The chain jumped off the big ring (I failed on adjusting the shifter). As I have on other bikes I adjusted the shift and pedaled through. On the other bikes the chain will climb back on the chainring. On the Lemond something went clunk, caught hard, and the RD got torn apart. Fortunately the RD didn't go into the spokes and I wasn't thrown. I paddled the bike like a skateboard most of the way back to work.

The hanger, integrated with the frame, is apparently slightly bent. I've put on a replacement RD but the chain jumps gears erratically on the cassette while shifting. I usually don't have good results trying to fix this type of problem - I guess the LBS will get some business. Too bad this is probably the peak season.
Old 04-13-13, 05:47 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks Bill,

My fitness level, and slovenly ways are keeping me from commuting as much as I should (or would like). Fortunately I've collected quite a herd of road bikes and can ride another one while the Lemond is in the shop.

We've jumped from winter like weather to summer like weather. Apart from the pollen counts the mild mornings are a great boon to the commute. On the days I'm too worn to do all the work I can take my electric assist trike.
Old 04-13-13, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
If the hanger is bent, even just slightly, it we mess up the shifting and make a noisy drive train. The hanger can be bent back, but the use of a hanger alignment tool to get it just right. Take it to the LBS. I took mine in when it happened to me, it was worth it.
Old 04-13-13, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be the chain came partly apart. I once savaged my derailleur that way.
Old 04-14-13, 05:14 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Aligning a bent hanger is quick and easy work with the right tool and knowledge. Your LBS should be able to get you back on the road with little delay or expense. (assuming that is actually the problem)
Old 04-14-13, 05:58 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
It is a sickening sound. On my ride yesterday someone right in front of me blew his RD. It was ugly. I suspect nothing less than the SAG wagon was required to get him going.

Old 04-15-13, 04:11 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
It is a sickening sound. On my ride yesterday someone right in front of me blew his RD. It was ugly. I suspect nothing less than the SAG wagon was required to get him going.
"The horror...the horror".
Old 04-15-13, 03:49 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I hope the LBS can set the hanger on your Lemond, no frame damage hopefully. Is it an integrated hanger (part of the drop out) or an demountable tab type? I can't remember which type of frame your Lemond has, CF or Aluminum so I'm just hoping for the best for you. Please keep us posted on the repairs.

Bill
Carbon frame, integrated hanger, not break-away. I have to take time to go to the LBS. I was too busy this weekend doing yard work and didn't make progress on he Leader steel frame build - or any bike related activity.
Old 04-17-13, 08:25 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I hope the LBS can set the hanger on your Lemond, no frame damage hopefully. Is it an integrated hanger (part of the drop out) or an demountable tab type? I can't remember which type of frame your Lemond has, CF or Aluminum so I'm just hoping for the best for you. Please keep us posted on the repairs.

Bill
I took the Lemond to the non chain store LBS last night. They took it right away, fixed the RD hanger, and adjusted both he front and rear derailleurs.
It took 30 minutes and I left the wrench a good tip.
Old 04-17-13, 08:49 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
I took the Lemond to the non chain store LBS last night. They took it right away, fixed the RD hanger, and adjusted both he front and rear derailleurs.
It took 30 minutes and I left the wrench a good tip.
Nice. I wonder what caused the problem?

I had a RD fly apart on me once. It had about 80,000 miles on it, so one of the pins holding it together may well have come apart. What I'll always remember is the nasty sound coming from the back of the bike, and watching one of the little idler pulleys scoot ahead of me while I braked to a stop. Never saw it again.

Last edited by Biker395; 04-18-13 at 09:57 AM.