Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Am I the only one?

Old 04-19-13, 08:30 PM
xjken99

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I have a favorite section of a rail trail that we try to get to at least once a week. It's a 45 minute drive to and from which means there are times that we spend more time on the road than the trail. We don't worry about speed, distance or how much time we spend there. Our only goal is to get there and to enjoy it.
Old 04-19-13, 10:10 PM
Lord Chaos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like riding. Pretty much have, since the day my mother took me out and made me learn how to ride by letting me roll down a small hill.

I want to get better at distance riding because the farther I go the more I see. It'd be nice to be able to ride over the Santa Monica Mountains and then come back, without feeling as if I'd run 200 miles or something. My typical ride is to go to the top and then roll home, which, while about 30 miles total, is really only about 15 miles of work. So, I'm taking longer flatland rides and learning how to keep myself going with food and water.

The main goal is to be out there. Longer, on a pretty day, is better. Of course, longer also means greater exposure to weather, such as headwinds. Well, longer also leads to stronger, so running into a headwind isn't quite so bad. Things just take longer.

The important thing to me is to stop to look at things. Historical markers, nice views, ducks, egrets, flowers, butterflies, interesting rocks, cottonwoods coming into new leaf. I'll stop for a snack in some nice place. Bicycling can be a marvellously sensitive means of moving around, and I like to encourage that. Some things don't require stopping: scent of almond blossoms on the breeze, a couple of ravens pacing me while they soar on updrafts, sound of redwinged blackbirds in the drying cat-tails. And then there's the constant lure of wondering what's over the next hill, calling me onward.
Old 04-21-13, 06:52 AM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Pix or it didn't happen.
Yes, indeed - please post a ride synopsis (and hopefully more) when you get back!
Old 04-21-13, 07:02 AM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding all my life post-age-4. I've done a few centuries but my motivation was always to experience the magic carpet ride, and not worrying about the finish line. I have arthritis now which insists that I slow down, plus, my muscles are no longer in shape enough for me to get any endorphins from them. So now I'm happy that I can still move about and enjoy my ride, even though I'm a little wistful for my touring days. You see more in the slow lane, too!
Old 04-21-13, 08:20 AM
KittiPaws

Bikes: Schwinn Legacy cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this point, I'm in it for exercise/weight loss (can't afford a gym, and walking is boring and hurts my feet), enjoyment, and hopefully saving some gas money by using a bicycle instead of the trusty Ford Explorer. I also like cycling for the same reason I liked aerobics in my younger days: it's a singular activity in which one pushes oneself - it is not a team sport - yet I can do it myself or among others, according to my mood. For now, I'm happy with a Schwinn ladies' cruiser with coaster brakes (just like the bike I had as a kid!). I may or may not become more ambitious with my cycling goals as I move up from being a newbie, but this makes me happy at this point.