Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Found a New Home (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/884881-found-new-home.html)

Planemaker 04-18-13 07:24 PM

Found a New Home

In the 50 Plus

There are lots of bike forums out there but, I find this one the best for me.

I purchased my bike just over a month ago so I could have an alternative to my hour workouts at the YMCA. Well I have reached a point where I can easily get an hour in on the bike everyday (burning more calories than the elliptical) and do 20 miles on Sunday.

My old workout was:
Sunday - Thursday - 65 minutes on elliptical
Friday - Off
Saturday - Walk 18 holes of golf

My new workout will be
Sunday - Fun cruise around town with the wife
Monday - Elliptical and 10 miles after dinner
Tuesday - 15 miles
Wednesday - Elliptical and 10 miles after dinner
Thursday - 15 miles
Friday - 20 miles
Saturday - Walk 18 holes of golf and maybe 10 miles

I hope to increase my mileage overtime and when I get closer to not being a Clydesdale I will do more core training at the YMCA

qcpmsame 04-18-13 07:26 PM

Completely agree, not going anywhere else.

Bill

Banded Krait 04-18-13 07:51 PM

Welcome, Planemaker! I'm with you--the 50+ forum is a great place for us older cyclists. It's a tremendous resource for information about cycling, and the participants bring a lot of humor, wisdom, and humanity to their posts.

Your workout schedule seems very reasonable. I have no experience with elliptical machines and was interested to hear you say you burn more calories cycling.

Stop back often and keep us appraised as to your progress.

Cougrrcj 04-18-13 08:37 PM

Soooo... With a handle like Planemaker, you dabble in homebuilts? Where?? I've been an aviation junkie longer that a bike-junkie - and that's saying something!!!

RobertL 04-19-13 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj (Post 15527560)
Soooo... With a handle like Planemaker, you dabble in homebuilts? Where?? I've been an aviation junkie longer that a bike-junkie - and that's saying something!!!

I too am wondering what planes you make. In an attempt to stay on topic, have you ever made a bike?

Robert,
A former Mooney driver.

Bikey Mikey 04-19-13 02:54 AM

Welcome and I think you are on the right track.

bruce19 04-19-13 04:21 AM

I spend all my time in the 50+ forum and have found that we are basically "fellow travelers." Being of similar age and having had similar experiences we have a common body of knowledge and experience. The result is a kinder and wiser approach to life IMO. I enjoy the people who contribute and am grateful for their willingness to share and help. I'm sure you will profit from your time here and will fit right in.

NOS88 04-19-13 06:35 AM

Welcome home.

Phil_gretz 04-19-13 09:23 AM

Welcome, Planemaker. Might I recommend that you work a "pie ride" in one day per week? What type of pie do you prefer?

Steve Sawyer 04-19-13 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by RobertL (Post 15527953)
I too am wondering what planes you make.

Heh, heh...different perspectives. I assumed Planemaker makes wooden planes for woodworking (having made several of those myself over the years...)

RobertL 04-21-13 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer (Post 15530089)
Heh, heh...different perspectives. I assumed Planemaker makes wooden planes for woodworking (having made several of those myself over the years...)

Hi Steve, It's all good, I've built a couple radio controlled planes. I'd love to make or buy a well done scale WWI fighter for display in the office.

h2oxtc 04-23-13 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 15528897)
Welcome, Planemaker. Might I recommend that you work a "pie ride" in one day per week? What type of pie do you prefer?

My "pie ride" is usually a stop at Starbucks along the way. Neutralizes the calories burned, but adds a level of enjoyment to the ride. "Tomorrow's ride" is a cardio workout.

climberguy 04-23-13 06:46 PM

You gotta love a thread where the OP declares 50+ his home and then doesn't seem to participate in the ensuing discussion.

Planemaker 04-23-13 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by climberguy (Post 15545302)
You gotta love a thread where the OP declares 50+ his home and then never returns to check on the ensuing discussion.

I have not posted to this thread but, I have read the posts.

The handle Planemaker is based on my employment, Spirit AreoSystems (formally Boeing), the worlds largest parts supplier to Airbus and Boeing. If you have ever flown on a Boeing 737 75% of the plane is made by Spirit in Wichita kansas. The front section of all Boeing planes, nose to just behind the passenger door, is made by Spirit in Wichita Kansas.

With golf and biking I find plenty of opportunities for cash to leave my wallet without taking up model airplanes.

FYI - When I am no longer a Clydesdale (lost 29 pounds as of last Friday) I will consider a "pie ride"

climberguy 04-23-13 07:44 PM

Sorry, my apology, I spoke a bit out of turn there (edited it to tone it down, but it's a little out of line)

Glad to have you aboard. Thanks for explaining your handle. Nice work with the weight loss.

Planemaker 04-23-13 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by climberguy (Post 15545553)
Sorry, my apology, I spoke a bit out of turn there (edited it to tone it down, but it's a little out of line)

Glad to have you aboard. Thanks for explaining your handle. Nice work with the weight loss.

No apology necessary. I read the posts a work but rarely post at work. I have been meaning to respond to the thread but never got it done. Your post just motivated me to get it done. :thumb:

robtown 04-24-13 05:11 PM

A belated welcome. 50+ and C&V are great forums to hang out on. There is a lot of shared experience here and a the tone is mild as long as you stay off the lawn.

Daspydyr 04-24-13 06:13 PM

Hey Planemaker, welcome aboard! HOW BOUT THEM SHOCKERS! Quite a year for that other school in Kansas.

Congrats on loosing the 29 pounds. Keep up the good work. I lived in Kansas in the 70's-80's, whew! Its going to start getting muggy soon. Gotta ride fast to keep cool. But I bet you are already surprised on how much endurance you have gained on the bike. I started here in 2008 after getting my hips replaced and needing to loose weight. Biking is a blast. Can't believe I sat on the sidelines so long.

OH yeah-GOLF-that other 4 letter word! I enjoy that as well. KSU grad here, grandkids in Ottawa.

Planemaker 04-24-13 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Daspydyr (Post 15549401)
Hey Planemaker, welcome aboard! HOW BOUT THEM SHOCKERS! Quite a year for that other school in Kansas.

Congrats on loosing the 29 pounds. Keep up the good work. I lived in Kansas in the 70's-80's, whew! Its going to start getting muggy soon. Gotta ride fast to keep cool. But I bet you are already surprised on how much endurance you have gained on the bike. I started here in 2008 after getting my hips replaced and needing to loose weight. Biking is a blast. Can't believe I sat on the sidelines so long.

OH yeah-GOLF-that other 4 letter word! I enjoy that as well. KSU grad here, grandkids in Ottawa.

KSU grad here as well

Daspydyr 04-25-13 10:08 AM

Ever get down to Medicine Lodge for the Peace Treaty re-enactment?