Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Winter in April (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/885006-winter-april.html)

TiHabanero 04-19-13 03:08 PM

Winter in April

This time last year I had 400 miles in. As of now this year I have 30. The winter weather just won't stop! We are having sideways driven snow today. When will it end?

GeneO 04-19-13 04:19 PM

Where you from? Here in Chicagoland it was 67F yesterday and we had extensive flooding, high winds and power outages. My lower level of my house flooded. 1 day later, today, we had a high of 41F and a mix of sleet/snow flurries. 26F swing. Sigh. Now Sunday we will have 61F.

I have only been able to do 83 miles this month so far, and a lot of it in nasty weather.

johnny99 04-19-13 04:35 PM

Low 80s this week in San Jose, CA

rck 04-19-13 04:37 PM

I feel your pain. Last year I also had 400+ miles in at this point. I have 80 in this year. With luck the weather will break and I can get a ride in tomorrow or sunday , although it is predicted to start raining again after that.

TiHabanero 04-19-13 05:58 PM

I am northeast of Chi town, across the big lake, in Grand Rapids, MI. Looks like we are having your weather today. This truly puts a damper on the season. Didn't plan on riding as much this year as I did last year, but this is getting out of hand!

NOS88 04-19-13 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by TiHabanero (Post 15530184)
This time last year I had 400 miles in. As of now this year I have 30. The winter weather just won't stop! We are having sideways driven snow today. When will it end?

Soon, and all you are dealing with now will be a distant memory......

Sixty Fiver 04-19-13 06:32 PM

It was snowing here today... it did turn to rain later on but the past few years at this time we had no snow and much warmer temperatures.

qcpmsame 04-19-13 07:40 PM

It was 70° when I left the house at 0450 this morning, when I left at 0930 (early Friday) it was in the high 50's. supposed to be low 40s tonight but in the 70's tomorrow. This will still be my best week so far this year and, my best YTD, so far. If I spend all the time the weather isn't perfect not riding I wouldn't get any mileage. Hope things get better for everyone.

Bill

billydonn 04-19-13 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by TiHabanero (Post 15530184)

Same here. Gloom. Dismal. Windy. Snowing yesterday for awhile.... Sideways. At least 20F below normal temps for the last six weeks. I'm pretending that i live in Belgium and HTFUing, but even so my mileage is way below last year too. We stopped indoor training a month too soon.

Persons from warm places please restrain yourselves and desist from your cheerful posting.

wn rider 04-19-13 09:36 PM

I too am WAY behind last year's mileage. 550 mi outside in March/April last year, 260 this year. Tired of the trainer!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...NmgpORxH0Ihiqg

Ranger Dan 04-19-13 10:51 PM

Possible record cold here tonight -- looking for 14 or 15 degrees. We still have ice and snow on the ground. It is supposed to be getting warmer this coming week, yet still well below normal temps. Like billydonn, I put my trainer away a month too soon.

icyclist 04-19-13 11:34 PM

I had a great ride down to the coast of the Pacific Ocean today, starting in 70+ weather at 4:30 p.m., and then I great views out over the city of Los Angeles on my return, after a side trip up to the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook. We've barely had winter in L.A.

http://www.pbase.com/davewyman/image...3102/large.jpg

zonatandem 04-20-13 12:03 AM

billydon:
Lived in Belgium for 14 years . . .
Living in Arizona for the past 35 years. . .
Guess which I prefer?! Only 79 degrees today but windy!
Only 1,400+ miles so far for 2013.

fietsbob 04-20-13 12:18 AM

Junuary. is the 6th month on the Pac NW, Coast. it keeps the dust down and delays fire season.

stapfam 04-20-13 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 15531178)
Same here. Gloom. Dismal. Windy. Snowing yesterday for awhile.... Sideways. At least 20F below normal temps for the last six weeks. I'm pretending that i live in Belgium and HTFUing, but even so my mileage is way below last year too. We stopped indoor training a month too soon.

Persons from warm places please restrain yourselves and desist from your cheerful posting.

You don't want Europe at present although it has changed a bit in the last week. Same cold and snow till last weekend but it has started to warm up in the last week. Thursday was warmish but with 30mph winds and Friday I got into the garden with only 3 layers.

So although we are warmer than you- I am not gloating. We still have the March winds and April showers merging together to come.

billydonn 04-20-13 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by icyclist (Post 15531434)
I had a great ride down to the coast of the Pacific Ocean today, starting in 70+ weather at 4:30 p.m., and then I great views out over the city of Los Angeles on my return, after a side trip up to the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook. We've barely had winter in L.A.

http://www.pbase.com/davewyman/image...3102/large.jpg

if I were to post that I'm suffering from some terrible disease there would surely be a flood of posts from people saying how good they are feeling. :)

lenA 04-20-13 08:50 AM

I was able to get myself out to ride when it was supposed to be cold, but now that it's supposed to be warm, I can't get myself to ride in the cold

Mort Canard 04-20-13 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by GeneO (Post 15530438)
Where you from? Here in Chicagoland it was 67F yesterday and we had extensive flooding, high winds and power outages. My lower level of my house flooded. 1 day later, today, we had a high of 41F and a mix of sleet/snow flurries. 26F swing. Sigh. Now Sunday we will have 61F.

I have only been able to do 83 miles this month so far, and a lot of it in nasty weather.

In Kansas we are due to have a freezing mix of sleet and snow Monday and Tuesday. Of course when we are done with that we will be sending the cold wet weather up to Chicagoland for you folks to enjoy.

I have a bunch of plants in the cold frame ready to go into the garden when ever we get the last frost, but the hits just keep coming! I was expecting to have tomatoes almost 2 feet tall by now. :rolleyes:

BikeWNC 04-20-13 11:14 AM

Dogwood winter here this weekend. It's local legend that when the dogwoods bloom there will be a cold snap. We were 31º this morning and currently 58º at 1pm. I call that pretty nice! It is cold up at high elevations though and I'll stay in the valley to enjoy the sun and relative warmth. I better head out though because I have lots of grass to cut when I get home.

tsl 04-20-13 12:34 PM

Here on the North Coast, we had sleet and snow pellets this morning, after temps in the upper-70s (F) on Thursday. Supposed to get into the 60s again starting on Monday.

I have only 1,126 outdoor miles so far this year. ;)

ctg492 04-20-13 12:46 PM

Snow this morning in lower mi on the daffodils. I have 600 miles in and was hoping for more by now. The worst for me has been the high winds this spring. Soon however the sun will shine :):

Timtruro 04-20-13 12:49 PM

Htfu

OldsCOOL 04-20-13 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by TiHabanero (Post 15530671)
I am northeast of Chi town, across the big lake, in Grand Rapids, MI. Looks like we are having your weather today. This truly puts a damper on the season. Didn't plan on riding as much this year as I did last year, but this is getting out of hand!

I feel ya, bro. Up here in Boyne City this morning it was 18deg and had an inch of snow on the ground. I might have a few more miles than you but certainly not more than one quick outing. I'm getting tired of riding a summer bike with winter clothes. This royally sucks. But then, we only had two snowy days this week, unlike the usual 3-4 days of snow storms.

OldsCOOL 04-20-13 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Timtruro (Post 15532521)
Htfu

I already am. :)

badger1 04-20-13 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This morning:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=311943