Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Inday Fab, Colnago, or lawn mower?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

While at work today I was day dreaming about which bike I'd take out tonight for a quick spin. Upon arrival at home, the new tires for the lawn mower had arrived. What a quandry. Lawn mower won out tonight. Tires put on, engine fired up and off we went. I could learn to have a real strong dislike for lawns. There is a real advantage to having two sons living at home when you've got as much lawn as I have, and a real "What was I thinking?" after they both move out. I've got to find a solution to this. New house? Something in place of the lawn? Just don't worry about it? I really don't know. But the sun is fading, dinner needs to be made and apologies given to both the Indy Fab and the Colnago (I didn't tell either of them I was considering one or the other. So, they both think they were the first pick.)
Old 04-25-13, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Mow on rest days. Which suggests riding hard enough to need rest days, but who's measuring?
Old 04-25-13, 03:52 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Get your wife interested in gardening. Set up a few Flower beds for her and introduce her to Garden centres and plant nurseries. Before you know it- half the lawn has gone for those shrubs and trees that she wants in her own Domain. Only downside of that is when you look at the bank balance and find out that it would have been cheaper to pay a neighbours son to cut the lawn for you but you will have an attractive garden.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-25-13, 04:27 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In my present scheme of things, lawn work always takes a back seat to cycling. When I was married and we had a bigger place, there was considerable spousal pressure to keep our lawn up with the neighbors'. I'm no longer married.
Old 04-25-13, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Of course, you could always try for another son or 2.............
They'd be ready to help out in 15 years or so.
Old 04-26-13, 10:39 AM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
For many years after we moved here, I used to be proud of my weed-free yard. Unfortunately, none of the neighbors around here follow suit - so their fields of yellow flowers and crabgrass usually end up spreading to our yard. I also gave up on fertilizing, so now it doesn't grow as fast. I cut the grass less than 20 times/year now. I just cut the front for the first time this year this past Tuesday. The back yard is still literally under water from all of the rains we've had this Spring. I probably won't be able to cut it for weeks.

Two years ago I just gave up on the yard - we were going to get sanitary sewers out here in the sticks, and the main was on my side of the street - and then we HAD to tie in... so we still have the dirt mound settling. The neighbors were in a rush to even out their yards (why, I don't know) so now they have a tell-tale 'ditch' where the trench continued to settle, and a big depression where the septic tank once was... I think the rule around here (wet clay soil) is the ground will continue to settle for a year for every foot down of excavation...

We have a 100x330 lot, but over the years we have less and less 'yard' to cut. I built a 30x40 barn/garage out back, and have it's associated driveway and pad, then the raised beds for trees/flowers/shrubs... Let's put it this way, with a 21-inch walk-behind mower, I can cut it all in less than 45 minutes. That isn't a significant amount of time away from other activities... Besides, I can use the exercise! Pretty much the same as riding, and the Wife doesn't hold cutting the grass against me like she does if I take off on the bike for an hour or so...
Old 04-26-13, 07:01 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I read this thread at work this morning, decided to do just what I needed to do so I could go straight home after stopping by the architect's office. I did the lawn tractor thing when I got home from work then went for a ride this afternoon. Only one bike so that wasn't an issue. Why not? It was sunny, 81°F and little wind so thanks for the prod NOS, it worked wonders.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-27-13, 12:38 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Move to the UK.

Lots of new housing going up to cope with the housing needs that no-one can afford and they cram as many houses per acre in as possible. 30 ft x 30 ft is considered a Large Garden now and garages are a rarity.

I feel lucky in that I have just under 1/4 acre as my garden and I want more. There is a possibility to buy more to double my patch but also realise that as I am older it would take a bit too much effort to maintain with all the other things I do.

But unless you want the whole lot down as lawn- there is no need to cut all of it every week. It only grows for 6 months of the year so set just enough around the house to say you have a garden and leave the rest up as a "Wild Meadow". That only needs cutting twice a year- Once in late spring and once just before winter.

But don't know what size your Lawn is? Start growing your own veg-grow your own chickens with the bonus of eggs and a clear patch of mud that does not need mowing where their run is. I have a friend that has 3 acres and his lawn is immaculate. That is just enough for 4 sheep so he has little mowing to do and plenty of meat in the freezer with the added bonus of plenty of fertilizer for the rest of the garden.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-27-13, 06:09 PM

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronno6
Of course, you could always try for another son or 2..............
My daughter mows the lawn
Old 04-27-13, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
There is a real advantage to having two sons living at home when you've got as much lawn as I have,
I have two sons and, when they were living at home, they would EVENTUALLY get around to mowing the lawn but they never thought it necessary quite as soon as I did. They own their own houses now and I live in a condo. Now, if I get the lawn mowing urge, I give the grounds keepers advice. They act like they don't hear me, just like my sons used to.
Old 04-27-13, 06:47 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Saw someone with a recumbent pedal powered double reel riding motor..
I think a framebuilder at one of those shows.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-27-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-27-13, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The trick is to always mow your lawn before your neighbors can mow theirs. Then leave a narrow unmowed strip where your yards abut. Next week, leave a little wider strip.
Old 04-27-13, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronno6
Of course, you could always try for another son or 2.............
They'd be ready to help out in 15 years or so.
Oh, I'm not sure I want to go that route again. I'd love to have 'em, but not sure I'll be around long enough to be a good father to them.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I read this thread at work this morning, decided to do just what I needed to do so I could go straight home after stopping by the architect's office. I did the lawn tractor thing when I got home from work then went for a ride this afternoon. Only one bike so that wasn't an issue. Why not? It was sunny, 81°F and little wind so thanks for the prod NOS, it worked wonders.

Bill
Bill, always gald to help.

Originally Posted by stapfam
Move to the UK.

Lots of new housing going up to cope with the housing needs that no-one can afford and they cram as many houses per acre in as possible. 30 ft x 30 ft is considered a Large Garden now and garages are a rarity.

I feel lucky in that I have just under 1/4 acre as my garden and I want more. There is a possibility to buy more to double my patch but also realise that as I am older it would take a bit too much effort to maintain with all the other things I do.

But unless you want the whole lot down as lawn- there is no need to cut all of it every week. It only grows for 6 months of the year so set just enough around the house to say you have a garden and leave the rest up as a "Wild Meadow". That only needs cutting twice a year- Once in late spring and once just before winter.

But don't know what size your Lawn is? Start growing your own veg-grow your own chickens with the bonus of eggs and a clear patch of mud that does not need mowing where their run is. I have a friend that has 3 acres and his lawn is immaculate. That is just enough for 4 sheep so he has little mowing to do and plenty of meat in the freezer with the added bonus of plenty of fertilizer for the rest of the garden.
Stapfam, that sounds like even more work!

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I have two sons and, when they were living at home, they would EVENTUALLY get around to mowing the lawn but they never thought it necessary quite as soon as I did. They own their own houses now and I live in a condo. Now, if I get the lawn mowing urge, I give the grounds keepers advice. They act like they don't hear me, just like my sons used to.
Payback is sweet... you're in a condo! I love it.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Saw someone with a recumbent pedal powered double reel riding motor..
Hmmm, I wonder if I could do that with Campy equipment?