Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A Bike for my dad: Update (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/887785-bike-my-dad-update.html)

insylem 05-04-13 03:26 PM

A Bike for my dad: Update

Hello everyone!

My dad went to a bike store and got a bike! Hes pretty excited about it and rides it around town.
This is what he has :)

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...sport#geometry

bikemig 05-04-13 03:37 PM

At least your dad didn't do what mine did. After I got my first real job, he told me I owed him some money and I could pay him back by buying him a bike. I didn't owe him any money but I think he figured I owed him for raising me and putting me through college. So I bought him a bridgestone xo-2. I was happy to buy him the bike and he was really happy with it.

I hope I'm not giving your dad any ideas, :p

freedomrider1 05-04-13 03:43 PM

Very nice:thumb:

RonH 05-04-13 05:35 PM

Nice. Now when is your dad going to start posting here? :)

insylem 05-04-13 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 15588158)
Nice. Now when is your dad going to start posting here? :)

I don't think he ever will. He loves gadgets and stuff, but he's not much for forums.

overthehillmedi 05-05-13 10:48 AM

But being the gentleman that he is he will soon realize that we are of the finest ilk and he fits right in with us. Then we can consule him on the finer points of N+1 and why he needs one, the best after ride rehydration and elctorlyte replacemnt foods. The need of a colonoscopy and other medical tests so he has new stories to tell you, And other important things and concerns of us senior members of society. :)

Dudelsack 05-05-13 10:55 AM

Tell him to flip it and slam it.

insylem 05-05-13 03:28 PM

Well this year hes looking into doing the tour de cure in Wisconsin with my sister. They originally were going to do the 5 mile ride, but my dad says he thinks he can do the 15 mile ride! My dad has diabeties, and my sister said that they have a bunch of support people there, so I think it would be a GREAT experience for him. There is even a small chance that I may be able to make it. That will depend on what happens this week with work

Bikey Mikey 05-05-13 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by insylem (Post 15591065)
Well this year hes looking into doing the tour de cure in Wisconsin with my sister. They originally were going to do the 5 mile ride, but my dad says he thinks he can do the 15 mile ride! My dad has diabeties, and my sister said that they have a bunch of support people there, so I think it would be a GREAT experience for him. There is even a small chance that I may be able to make it. That will depend on what happens this week with work

Do note for everyone who rides, each rider must raise the minimum amount in addition to the registration fee. For the TdC that I rode, $175 was the minimum--most of which I paid...I don't like asking for donations. Two people donated to my ride and one of those was from the forums(Thanks--he knows who he is). But, it's worth it and I will likely do the ride again next year even if the all the minimum comes out of my wallet. Unsure if it'll happen on your TdC, but, since I'm diabetic, I got Jersey and only riders with diabetes get them. Everyone on the TdC I did got a T-shirt.

Artkansas 05-05-13 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey (Post 15591303)
Do note for everyone who rides, each rider must raise the minimum amount in addition to the registration fee. For the TdC that I rode, $175 was the minimum--most of which I paid...I don't like asking for donations. Two people donated to my ride and one of those was from the forums(Thanks--he knows who he is). But, it's worth it and I will likely do the ride again next year even if the all the minimum comes out of my wallet. Unsure if it'll happen on your TdC, but, since I'm diabetic, I got Jersey and only riders with diabetes get them. Everyone on the TdC I did got a T-shirt.

When I rode, there was no such minimum. I just paid the entry fee and got the shirt. Now it may have been because the event was in chaos. The night before it was orignially scheduled, tornados blew through and trees were scattered all over the route, so starting two weeks late, they may have been just happy to have people riding. Turnout was pretty light.