Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feel as if I turned a corner lately.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 05:42 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

No I didn't ride a crit or anything like that, a corner in my cycling fitness. We had a mild winter here, (not going to rub that in to you in the plains, midwest and eastern seaboard,) so I didn't lose time and fitness to weather. The last few weeks I have noticed that my rides have gotten faster and our mole-hills don't bring a twinge of fear like they used to. Even the weeks of gusty winds we have had haven't stopped my riding or slowed me as much as it used to. I think that a base is beginning to be built, hopefully, it will become even better as the season gets in to full swing here. The bike fit and its set-up seem to be just in a groove for me, everything feels right on the bike while I am riding, regardless of if I am just spinning on a flat straight or climbing. Please don't wake me up if I am dreaming.

I cannot say thank you enough to all of the 50+ gang here, the encouragement and support have helped me to keep riding and to overcome the problems I have. I hope each of you can get this rare feeling, I know how low I have felt at times and how great things feel right now when I am riding. Now if the winter will just let go and the warm weather can set in so the season can begin in earnest.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-06-13, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW That is a great report Bill.
Old 05-06-13, 07:27 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I know the feeling, Bill. I hope it stays with you for a long time!
Old 05-06-13, 07:58 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Sweet. It takes a long time to build to that base level of conditioning, and the good news is that it sticks around. Keep it up!

Old 05-06-13, 08:16 AM

Bikes: Madone 5.9, 1980 Raleigh SGP,Trek 3500

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great to hear, it gives us newbies hope.
I think I will be in your area for the 4th of July. Maybe we can get together for a ride? It's my birthday and I am thinking of trying to ride my age (52). I think our winter is still here. I did the 30 mile charity ride Saturday and froze for the first 5-10 miles.
Old 05-06-13, 08:22 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Glad to hear it Bill. Now you have no excuse for not joining in on some of the rides down this way.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-06-13, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good job, Bill! Doesnt it feel great to achieve a new level of fitness?
Old 05-06-13, 10:46 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
It's funny how the "science" of fitness works isn't it? I noticed the same thing but it is certainly more of an evolution than an immediate overnight change. It's not something you can "take a pill for" one night and wake up the next day with a step change in endurance, power, etc. On second thought maybe I should ask the Spanish doctor to see if there IS a pill. Seriously I prefer the tried and true method like you're doing.

I kept telling myself while I was suffering out riding in the winter and averaging 2-3 mph slower than I thought I should be averagaing I would be rewarded at some point. It's really great when you can see some advances here in there. Keep it going.
Old 05-06-13, 12:45 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's great to hear, Bill, especially in light of things you've been through and things you still have to deal with. It's an inspiration to those of us not there yet. Thanks.

Dave

Last edited by climberguy; 05-06-13 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 01:03 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
It's not something you can "take a pill for" one night and wake up the next day with a step change in endurance, power, etc.
Well now you tell us.

Many folks are finding their legs this time of year. It's a nice feeling, and great that Bill has found favor with the cycling gods. In a personal communication I had advised him to sacrifice a small goat. I bet that helped.

For me, I wonder if the 8 million dollars I've spent on Androgel is finally kicking in.

Old 05-06-13, 01:07 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
That sounds awesome, Bill! Congrats on starting to see an improvement in your riding and hoping that you continue to improve from where you are at now.

Now, if only that would be my case. Since the doctor changed my leukemia medication, last month, I have been seeing my progress go in the other direction. The new med is causing some serious anemia that is causing me to breath harder with each ride. My 1.5 mile warmup distance is now around 6-8 miles and I still have problems getting my respirations under control, at times. And my legs are not getting enough oxygen since my red cell and hemoglobin counts are really low, and by the time I end a ride, my legs feel like cement blocks. That has never happened before, even on 100K+ rides. He changed the dosage, on Thursday, to a lower dose but the pharmacy screwed up and sent the wrong dosage, so now I don't start the new dosage until Wednesday. I'm hoping that I don't have to wait a month to see any improvements.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-06-13, 02:25 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I think that a base is beginning to be built, hopefully, it will become even better as the season gets in to full swing here. The bike fit and its set-up seem to be just in a groove for me, everything feels right on the bike while I am riding, regardless of if I am just spinning on a flat straight or climbing. Please don't wake me up if I am dreaming. Bill
Good training miles qcpmsame, it always pays off. Yes, it does take awhile to build the base, and there is no magic involved, but it is very rewarding when the plan comes together and what used to cause suffering is now easy! Congratulations!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-06-13, 02:37 PM

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
That's great, Bill! I thought I've felt the same way recently, but after careful evaluation it's slightly different. For a while there I thought the fitness level was going up and yadda, yadda.

It turns out that it's just so much more pleasant cycling in the recent sunny, 70 degree weather than it was during the Winter here in Northern Ohio. I started cycling almost daily last November.... I never believed you folks that someday cycling would be a pleasant experience. I was almost convinced that cycling was supposed to be like riding out a storm while tied to the masthead!

Glad you're feeling your oats, fella'!
Old 05-06-13, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, Bill.
Old 05-06-13, 05:50 PM
Semper Fi

Thanks everyone, no magic pill, sorry Dudel, it is simply mileage and diet. I was frightened so badly when I was diagnosed with the Renal Failure I just went in to things whole hawg, very strict diet and I ride every day it is possible. I guess that is a simple "Magic Pill", if you will.

John_V, I'm sorry your medication is not working for you, please be careful with yourself, that is pretty scarry. Please keep us posted on how you are doing, I will have you in my prayers for strength and healing, keep riding when it is safe to do so.

Bill

Old 05-06-13, 07:56 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bill,
Good to hear that you are making progress on both the health and fitness fronts. It's a great feeling when you see your moving averages bump up to new levels every now and then.

John,
Here's hoping that the new meds will allow you to get back on track with your riding. Keep the leukemia at bay and stay well.
Old 05-06-13, 08:02 PM
Grandpa with spunk

Bikes: (See sig block)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
For me, I wonder if the 8 million dollars I've spent on Androgel is finally kicking in.
Sounds like a sack of dudel if ya ask me....
Old 05-07-13, 03:56 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider the corner turned! It seems like all spring has been fits and starts for me. I finally get into a groove, and then the weather, or work sets me back, and I feel like I'm starting all over again.

I had two months of prime summer riding taken away with illness last year. I really appreciate the encouragement you gave me through that rough time.

Like I say every year, this year it's gonna be different
Old 05-07-13, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Bill, one of the real pleasures of these forums is reading your posts, and even better when you can report such positive progress with your riding.

I and Machka hope that the improved cycling fitness translates into improve overall health.

I often think that the increased blood flow to our organs resulting from exercise helps increase the recovery and rebuilding process. Just make sure you get the rest you need.
Old 05-07-13, 06:40 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How I missed this thread, I'm unsure. Good job Bill. You are an inspiration as are so many on this forum.
Old 05-07-13, 07:38 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
On form just in time for the Giro. Smart.
Old 05-07-13, 06:31 PM
Semper Fi

Again, thanks very much, the encouragement I receive here is what keeps me motivated to ride better and more. I added two more hills with a slight adjustment to my route this afternoon and didn't mind at all. I believe I may go riding tomorrow, too.

Bill

Old 05-07-13, 06:43 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Love conquers all, but a good bike ride works wonders too.

Old 05-07-13, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Good stuff Bill. Keep it up..
Old 05-07-13, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Great to hear Bill. My mother, brother and sister all have kidney disease so I am aware of the effects on lifestyle. Funny how sickness encourages good health. Keep smiling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.