Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Kitted out arrogant, elitist, unfriendly, aloof roadie snobs.....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-13, 02:42 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hear about these folks regularly on Bike Forums. Here in Austin I encounter plenty of riders kitted out on $5000 CF bikes with aero bars, etc. In fact, I rode with a group of all kitted out high dollar road bike owners this morning. Where we rode this morning (Loop 360, Bee Caves Rd. for those who know Austin) there were throngs of kitted out roadies everywhere like flies on a turd. Here I am, an old fart on their turf with flat bars, platform pedals, steel-toed work boots, cotton t-shirt, levi shorts. Some of these kitted out roadies I hung with, many passed me, I passed some. But they are all super friendly! What's the deal? What am I missing? How come they all have a friendly hello at the stoplights or when passing me, or, occasionally , being passed by me? Why does this keep happening to me? I am starting to think the creature in the title of my post is a myth.

Don in Austin
Old 05-05-13, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moxt people I meet are pretty nice, i ride solo, 80% of the other riders nod or wave. ( I have a CF bike and cheapo kits) However in the more Urban areas around here riders with cleats simply dont stop and follow road etiquette, just zoom along scaring people. I have cleats, just a pain unclipping etc I can see why its happening.
Old 05-05-13, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Not a myth. you just happened to encounter a good group that day. Sooner or later, you will encounter the rather odd, mythological creature you describe.
Old 05-05-13, 02:55 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Got some people down there, computer code writers, making a lot more money than most folks, too ..

Steel toe boots I guess your crew may have built the buildings they work in..
Old 05-05-13, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I think you get more hospitality out of "that kind" of cyclist when it's understood all around that you are the inferior one.I experience the same when I meet people who make lots more money than I do. They know - and I know - that there's no competition and that I'm not out to stab them in the back, so there's nothing to lose by being friendly to me. Get the analogy? Probably not, if you don't even use clipless pedals.
Old 05-05-13, 02:59 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Maybe none of them were BF regulars.
Old 05-05-13, 03:00 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trackhub
Not a myth. you just happened to encounter a good group that day. Sooner or later, you will encounter the rather odd, mythological creature you describe.
Ride about 75-125 miles a week around here and could count encounters with this type on the fingers of one hand.

Don in Austin
Old 05-05-13, 03:00 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DougG
Maybe none of them were BF regulars.

Don in Austin
Old 05-05-13, 03:01 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Got some people down there, computer code writers, making a lot more money than most folks, too ..

Actually, I own small a car repair shop.

Don in Austin
Old 05-05-13, 03:06 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I think you get more hospitality out of "that kind" of cyclist when it's understood all around that you are the inferior one.I experience the same when I meet people who make lots more money than I do. They know - and I know - that there's no competition and that I'm not out to stab them in the back, so there's nothing to lose by being friendly to me. Get the analogy? Probably not, if you don't even use clipless pedals.
But every now and then I will pass one of them. I guess kitted out, hgh dollar bike, but hasn't ridden that much. They are still friendly. i have tried clipless and gave the pedals away. Maybe I never learned them properly, but I found little advantage and distinct inconvenience. Its rare that I ride with somebody who doesn't at least have toe cages.

Don in Austin
Old 05-05-13, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe they learned that it doesn't help to be an arrogant pr**k like Lance.
Old 05-05-13, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Nearly everyone I have met on the road has been friendly, from pros on down. Sure, there are jerks everywhere, but I only hear about roadie snobs on Bike Forums.
In fact, another member once called me an arrogant roadie snob because I said something bad about toe-clips.

btw, Don, I have enjoyed your stories here and I suspect one of the reasons other riders are friendly to you is that you are friendly first.

Last edited by big john; 05-05-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-05-13, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I road years in rural west central ohio with many fully decked out roadie's on high end bikes that are great people . I move down to Cincinnati I run into a lot elitist, arogant, jerks depends on where you are we have 3 high end collages could be rich kids living on daddies money thing
Old 05-05-13, 05:29 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Can we reference more stereotypes here?
Old 05-05-13, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>> i have tried clipless and gave the pedals away.<<<<

You got that I was being "tongue-in-cheek" with that remark, right? I don't use clipless, either.
Old 05-05-13, 06:36 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I even met some kitted out morons on single track today. There are like zombies! You don't see em very often, but they are out there.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-05-13, 07:35 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I hate those "kitted-out" cyclists, too. Why can't they just ride in blue jeans and a cotton T-shirt like everybody else?
Old 05-05-13, 08:05 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
+1

Bill
Me too. I just don't get this class warfare crap.

Ten years ago I lost a job. I struggled financially for a number of years afterwards. Then I struggled some more. Then I became fortunate and am not struggling at all right now. Then I'll probably lose my job .

The truth is...I don't stand a chance
Its something that you're born into...
And I just don't belong...

No I don't - I'm just a no class, beat down fool
And I will always be that way
I might as well enjoy my life
And watch the stars play.

Old 05-05-13, 08:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find that most encounters are a two way street. Most times I smile and wave and most often I get the same back. Other times I am absorbed in some train of thought or other and don't acknowledge other cyclists in my vicinity. I suppose that might be thought of as snobbish by the other folks. Yes I have been rebuffed when I am trying to be friendly. On the other hand I have also been forced to acknowledge other riders when they break through my self absorption.
Old 05-05-13, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Kits usually make sense. When you ride long and hard, cycling clothes feel and work better. Generally the better clothes costs more and when you get jerseys, they either are team or look like team jerseys. Same with shorts/bibs. So a lot of what you see are just wants available when you are buying good quality.
Old 05-05-13, 08:44 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
>>>> i have tried clipless and gave the pedals away.<<<<

You got that I was being "tongue-in-cheek" with that remark, right? I don't use clipless, either.
10-4
Old 05-05-13, 08:47 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Kits usually make sense. When you ride long and hard, cycling clothes feel and work better. Generally the better clothes costs more and when you get jerseys, they either are team or look like team jerseys. Same with shorts/bibs. So a lot of what you see are just wants available when you are buying good quality.
Well, I sure don't have anything against people wearing that stuff -- my best riding buddies do. I just never felt the purpose for it in my personal case.

Don in Austin
Old 05-05-13, 09:16 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The problem is that you are hopelessly clinging to your real world experiences with actual road bike riders while ignoring the largely imaginary straw man stereotypical "roadie" that other posters are disparaging.
Old 05-05-13, 09:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 264 Posts
I'd wonder if you were riding by "judicial decree"...lol no license due to ???...or perhaps not enough money for a car considering your clothing or maybe commuting to work?
I tend to mind my own business when riding and seldom wave first but will wave back...

Everyone riding a bicycle is a bicycle rider but not all bicycle riders are "riders"...there is a difference.
Old 05-05-13, 09:26 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
May be you can Leave the Boots in the shop and at least feel light on your feet on the bike.. Don .

should be Sandal weather, there, now.. dont have to Be too hip, wear socks
spare yourself sunburned tops of your feet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.