Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sometime I think I'm too old

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sometime I think I'm too old

Old 05-20-13, 06:04 PM
LAriverRat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George View Post
So far I like the idea of the Colnago the best. I always did like the look of those bikes.
FWIW I have been spending a lot of money on my new bike and bibs and lots of other things, but I think I'm getting a guilt complex. I start asking myself, will I get the use out of this if I buy it. I still have 2 bikes, but I sold 2 as well. Anyhow thanks for all the encouragement and I'll try and think a little diffent in the future. It's fun spending money and I'm really not short of it and my kids will end up with it anyhow. I think it's going to get harder for me, as I get older though. I still love riding, very much. Thanks again everybody.
Like a champion golfer once said, "Just make you next shot easier". Just prepare for what's coming, make it easier. You will still get that great feeling of riding where and when you want, and take as long as you like to get there. Reward your self with pie, don't forget the treat. It's hard for people our age to just buy something for ourselves and not feel quilt. We grew up in a different time and age where a quarter was big money. Now I just think of $20 as a five. Enjoy your ride.
Old 05-20-13, 08:51 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At age 80 still ride extensively on tandem and single. 5,200+ miles in 2012.
You worked for it, you earned it, now $pend it and enjoy it!
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 05-20-13, 10:16 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I first read about Clair "Duck" Duckham back in 2001; he was 95 then, and a recent fall injury had reduced him from his accustomed 90-minute ride to a "mere" 37-miler.

Duck was one of the founding members of the Dayton, OH, cycling club, circa 1960, and was one of the leading lights on club rides. After some years, when he showed no signs of stopping, they started a BIRTHDAY ride for Duck. Duck rode his own bike on these rides until like 2007, and after that, on an unusual tandem (he developed balance issues).

Duck passed in 2009, short of his 103rd(104th?) birthday.

IF I were to have a hero, it would be Duck. (Second place goes to Mikael Colvill-Anderson.)