Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Sometime I think I'm too old (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/890220-sometime-i-think-im-too-old.html)

George 05-17-13 03:14 PM

So far I like the idea of the Colnago the best. I always did like the look of those bikes.
FWIW I have been spending a lot of money on my new bike and bibs and lots of other things, but I think I'm getting a guilt complex. I start asking myself, will I get the use out of this if I buy it. I still have 2 bikes, but I sold 2 as well. Anyhow thanks for all the encouragement and I'll try and think a little diffent in the future. It's fun spending money and I'm really not short of it and my kids will end up with it anyhow. I think it's going to get harder for me, as I get older though. I still love riding, very much. Thanks again everybody.

George 05-17-13 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by LAriverRat (Post 15637077)
If you think you are to old, you are. Take up shooting, only takes about 1.5 to 2.5 pounds of pull, and you can lay down while enjoying the sport.

That's what all the old timers are doing around here and they say I spend to much on cycling. I tell them BS. everytime you pull the trigger you spend 30 cents and you still miss. lol

Bill Kapaun 05-17-13 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jseis (Post 15635810)
My father had a pacemaker installed at 91. He asked the doctor how long "that thing would run on its battery" and the doc said "Oh, about 10 years". We all started laughing. He's a triple cancer survivor (melanoma, prostate, leukemia) and treats every day as the first day of his life. He said "10 years will do".

I remember reading through the paperwork when my mother got her pacemaker.
Somehow, the "lifetime guarantee" failed to impress me.

ModeratedUser150120149 05-17-13 03:51 PM

FWIW: I divide buying and selling decisions into two categories. First, is Economic($). Money rules. The transaction has to make economic sense and be the best deal possible. Second, is Livestyle. Quality and Joy of Life rules. Doesn't matter about money or how good a deal it is.

noglider 05-17-13 03:54 PM

Cycling has a good chance at extending your life. I just met a guy at an old folks' home who is still riding. I love it.

btw, I'm only 52 and feel pretty strong. I thank the universe for that.

Bent Bill 05-17-13 09:45 PM

No don't spend another penny save it all and put me in your will as sole heir :D
I will take care of that evil money for you :innocent:

LAriverRat 05-18-13 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 15637106)
LAriverRat - nice to see you posting.

Thanks DnvrFox, last time I rode was October last year. Really miss cycling. My injuries are slow to heal. May try again soon.

LAriverRat 05-18-13 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by George (Post 15637375)
That's what all the old timers are doing around here and they say I spend to much on cycling. I tell them BS. everytime you pull the trigger you spend 30 cents and you still miss. lol

Every time I pull the trigger on my Glenfield 60 .22lr its .03 cents, and I hit whatever I aim at. I bought ammo before the panic. Even on some of my bolt guns its less than 30 cents. On the match grade ammo its way over the 30 cents. If you ride a lot see what you spend on tires that only last 1200 to 2000 miles. Then there is N+1. Just enjoy what you are able to do and make the best of it.

Dudelsack 05-18-13 06:48 AM

Just keep posting here. We had a guy die a few days ago, and he had come back from the dead in less than a day. Cycling helps that much.

RonH 05-18-13 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by George (Post 15635398)
When out buying bicycling gear, or looking at new bikes I feel that I wont get the use out of them, to justify putting out the money. I'm thinking about just wearing out the things I have now and call it a day. Doe's anybody feel this way, or am I just thinking crazy? I'll be 73 in August.

I'm 68 and am always shopping for new bibs, jerseys, computer, bike stuff in general, and I'm currently considering a new bike (haven't mentioned this to my wife yet :eek:).
What's that saying, "The person who dies with the most toys wins!!"
Or maybe in this case, "Ride it like you stole it!!" would be a better choice. :)

cyclinfool 05-18-13 04:43 PM

George,
Questioning whether or not a purchase is justified or not is always a good thing. But never look at it in terms of your death, the only purchase you should do that with is life insurance. If you are burning a hole in your wallet - lay off for a few weeks and spread the joy of new stuff out.

longbeachgary 05-18-13 05:02 PM

You could buy a carbon bike - I hear that they don't last all that long.

DX-MAN 05-18-13 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by George (Post 15635398)
When out buying bicycling gear, or looking at new bikes I feel that I wont get the use out of them, to justify putting out the money. I'm thinking about just wearing out the things I have now and call it a day. Doe's anybody feel this way, or am I just thinking crazy? I'll be 73 in August.

The only way you won't get your money's worth out of the new bike is if it turns out to be a dawg. You get on it and pedal, it gives you joy...you've ALREADY gotten your money's worth.

Give some thought to your final expenses, give some to your heirs if you so choose...then LIVE, dammit! Forget the rest!

osco53 05-19-13 04:33 AM

Everybody dies, and as far as I know not one single person was able to take any money they saved with them.. Just sayin..

a77impala 05-19-13 06:46 AM

I am almost 69, yesterday a riding buddy asked if I wanted to ride his Madone, he's 70, I replied no, I don't want to have to buy another bike. I have 14 now, mostly from 80's, I am always working on them, upgrading etc. I also work at Yellow Bike one day a week. I visit my favorite LBS several times a week for parts and supplies, great shop, Cranky Jeff's. Very friendly and knowledgeable.
I enjoy shooting but nearest range is 10 miles away, I can jump on a bike and ride right out of the driveway.
My grandsons are into archery so I have been shopping for a nice recurve bow that we can all use. Any suggestions on that would be welcome.
I consider any money spent on bikes and recreation an investment in a healthy body and mind.

Terex 05-19-13 11:23 AM

Used to ride with a guy in his early 80's in NJ. Dave Kay, now 87 or 88, is still riding with the Morris Area Freewheelers (mentioned in attached articles, w/ photos http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/ind..._cyclists.html )

When I rode with Dave, I'm sure that he routinely used inner tubes that were older than me. There were so many patches that when he changed a flat, which was often, it was hard to tell if he was patching the tube or one of the old patches. I don't think that Dave ever buys much in the way of new equipment, he just patches up the old stuff. He's probably been doing that all his life and doesn't reflect his age or any anticipated retirement from riding.

digibud 05-19-13 04:45 PM

my goal is to die with a dollar and change in the bank. if you can afford it, buy the best damned bike you can and enjoy the heck out of it. If I make it to 90 I plan on trying heroin and crack cocaine. I've heard nearly everyone enjoys them. And I'll return to eating steak and pizza. Currently the thing I seem to be wearing out is my own body....

Velo Fellow 05-20-13 12:15 AM

George.... I recall when you first registered here and were very excited about this new cycling thing and your first bike purchase and then your second. Circumstances change and eventually we must all drop away. Sometimes walking away seems better than fading away. BUT..... I'll bet sometimes we perceive ourselves to be less than we are-- and drop of the back too soon. Sometimes new gear lights up a new interest in riding. Most here would agree its worth the investment if it re-ignites desire. I hope your concern is attitudinal rather than physical.

I was off the bike for 2.5 years following a wheel touch and endo which broke my pelvis and then complications. After starting slowly I'm getting back now and very very glad to be able to. I'm 66, building up a new bike, don't know how long I'll last, but happy to be avoiding slow death in the recliner watching Duck Dynasty. After all, we have a duty to be role models to those 50 y.o. squirts!

Pirkaus 05-20-13 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 15637027)

OTOH, you could be 75 yo, buy an expensive Colnago and ride it for another 20 years.

Buy what you like and enjoy it...stop worrying about the Grim Reaper.

Buy the new stuff, if you can afford it, you want every advantage to out run the Reaper.;)
Pirk

berner 05-20-13 10:24 AM

Hurry before it's too late. Spend all that hard earned money before someone decides you don't need it anymore.

oldbikeguy 05-20-13 12:41 PM

There will be a day when I can no longer do this, but today is NOT that day."

digibud 05-20-13 02:49 PM

there comes a time...

I'm confident for nearly all of us over 50, there has come a time and it went for an entire range of activities. Most all of what I did years ago are things that have come and went. The list of damage done and betrayals by my uncaring body are too numerous to list - bad knees, bad shoulders, heart conditions. Sweet effme. But as soon as this broken clavicle is healed I -will- be able to get back on my bike and push myself as hard as I can. But my time for 50mph downhills has probably just come and went. There we go again. So I get it. Just let the chain wear out and hang up the bike is, at some point, inevitable but with it will come (for me) a real diminished in my lifestyle.
There's not a darned thing any of us can do about all these events and changes as we age and have accidents and generally succumb to time. I just figure to make the most of it because for me, I'm quite sure I get some kind of addictive dopamine response or something from being out riding and pushing myself really, really hard. I just love it.
I'm back to biking after a hiatus of 20 years so I can totally understand just hanging up the bike. I did for a long time and may do so again at some point. Maybe there will come a time when my best effort is relaxing in a chair ;) but as has been said, not for now.

eja_ bottecchia 05-20-13 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 15644425)
Buy the new stuff, if you can afford it, you want every advantage to out run the Reaper.;)
Pirk

Exactly! :thumb:

eja_ bottecchia 05-20-13 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by longbeachgary (Post 15640221)
You could buy a carbon bike - I hear that they don't last all that long.

LOL...on the other hand, you don't wantnto buy a bike that will outlast you. So Ti is out of the question. ;)

qcpmsame 05-20-13 03:56 PM

George,
My feelings are to buy what ever bike and accessories you want as long as the money isn't an issue for you and yours. For me riding is the one way I release my frustrations and gather my thoughts. You worked hard to get where you are, enjoy the time now when you can afford to. Ride Lots and Rids Safe.

Bill