Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Update on the adventure of my reported demise...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Update on the adventure of my reported demise...

Old 05-20-13, 06:00 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
Here's what I want to know.... How do I change my login name? It feels as if I need to let NOS88 drift away after what has happened. I'm thinking maybe "Ghostrider."
I can't help thinking it would be somewhat ironic if a false story about the person behind the virtual ID "NOS88" were dead were to result in the virtual ID "NOS88" dying, even if only to be replaced with another.

If you really feel that's what you want to do I like the idea of Lazarus, or maybe Lazarus88. Maybe Reborn88 or some such. BornAgain might be interesting but if you're not a religious person that might sound a little bit too churchy.
Old 05-20-13, 06:36 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by contango View Post
I can't help thinking it would be somewhat ironic if a false story about the person behind the virtual ID "NOS88" were dead were to result in the virtual ID "NOS88" dying, even if only to be replaced with another.

If you really feel that's what you want to do I like the idea of Lazarus, or maybe Lazarus88. Maybe Reborn88 or some such. BornAgain might be interesting but if you're not a religious person that might sound a little bit too churchy.
I guess you missed his post?

You got it right. That was the intent... New Old Stock.
OK, NOS88 it shall remain.
Old 05-20-13, 08:01 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
I guess you missed his post?
Looks like I did
Old 05-20-13, 10:17 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My sense that you can have a cyber community was not false. There are people behind these posts and many of you have shared enough of who you are that I feel a bond.
This is an interesting point, if I may say so, and one on which there are a number of perspectives.

I've been a participant in any number of forums during the last decade or so, and there seems to be a clear(ish) division between those who focus on the people behind the posts (you) and those who focus on the posts and do not pay much attention to the people behind them (me).

Communication through the internet is, essentially, remote and, often, anonymous. It can be fantastically useful for exchanging information and connecting people who have common interests. To that extent I absolutely accept that there can be such a thing as a cyber community.

But communication solely through this medium has severe limitations. One gets no direct experience of how one's interlocutors actually behave in real life, and it is much easier for them to project their desired image of themselves (we can all be wise, and sage, and statesmanlike, if we choose to be, for a couple of posts per day to people we will never meet). I have in the past met people with whom I have interacted in internet forums. The difference between their forum personality and their "real" persona can be stark. It is in my opinion a mistake to believe that one "knows" one's internet interlocutors, or has a reliable instinct for what they might actually be like.

Personally I respond to what is posted, not on the basis of my speculations about the nature of the poster. Doing the latter is essentially projection - overlaying the interaction with my imaginings about what my correspondent might be like; and those imaginings, if I bothered with them, would probably be wide of the mark. You, and other forum members, are not "real" to me in the same sense as those people I know and see and touch.

Having said that, please accept my congratulations on not being dead.
Old 05-20-13, 10:24 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
This is an interesting point, if I may say so, and one on which there are a number of perspectives.

I've been a participant in any number of forums during the last decade or so, and there seems to be a clear(ish) division between those who focus on the people behind the posts (you) and those who focus on the posts and do not pay much attention to the people behind them (me).

Communication through the internet is, essentially, remote and, often, anonymous. It can be fantastically useful for exchanging information and connecting people who have common interests. To that extent I absolutely accept that there can be such a thing as a cyber community.

But communication solely through this medium has severe limitations. One gets no direct experience of how one's interlocutors actually behave in real life, and it is much easier for them to project their desired image of themselves (we can all be wise, and sage, and statesmanlike, if we choose to be, for a couple of posts per day to people we will never meet). I have in the past met people with whom I have interacted in internet forums. The difference between their forum personality and their "real" persona can be stark. It is in my opinion a mistake to believe that one "knows" one's internet interlocutors, or has a reliable instinct for what they might actually be like.

Personally I respond to what is posted, not on the basis of my speculations about the nature of the poster. Doing the latter is essentially projection - overlaying the interaction with my imaginings about what my correspondent might be like; and those imaginings, if I bothered with them, would probably be wide of the mark. You, and other forum members, are not "real" to me in the same sense as those people I know and see and touch.

Having said that, please accept my congratulations on not being dead.
I appreciate your congratulations and will continue to believe that "what is posted" is posted by a person. Now my interpretation of that person often relies on the entire body of their work to which I've been exposed. Hence, there are people on the forum with which I do feel a more kindred connection. I can't help but wonder how I would judge a person if I were without sight or hearing. I'm guessing it would be on the words they use and how they are delivered to me.
Old 05-20-13, 10:36 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I appreciate your congratulations and will continue to believe that "what is posted" is posted by a person. Now my interpretation of that person often relies on the entire body of their work to which I've been exposed. Hence, there are people on the forum with which I do feel a more kindred connection. I can't help but wonder how I would judge a person if I were without sight or hearing. I'm guessing it would be on the words they use and how they are delivered to me.
Yeah, of course they are posted by a person. The issue is whether they are a reliable guide to the nature of that person.

There are echoes here of the structuralist school of literary criticism. A text is just a text - it is up to the reader to impose their own interpretation on that text, to derive meaning from it. It is, to a degree, futile to speculate on the intentions of the author, because one cannot know them and in any event, those intentions cannot constrain or encompass the response of the reader, who will have their own experiences and associations to bring to the party. In short, my interpretations of your posts will inevitably have more to do with who I am, than with who you are or what you intended to convey.
Old 05-20-13, 10:54 AM
NOS88

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, of course they are posted by a person. The issue is whether they are a reliable guide to the nature of that person.

There are echoes here of the structuralist school of literary criticism. A text is just a text - it is up to the reader to impose their own interpretation on that text, to derive meaning from it. It is, to a degree, futile to speculate on the intentions of the author, because one cannot know them and in any event, those intentions cannot constrain or encompass the response of the reader, who will have their own experiences and associations to bring to the party. In short, my interpretations of your posts will inevitably have more to do with who I am, than with who you are or what you intended to convey.
And your intent would be?

I think word use can tell us far more than just the story. It is a window, clouded or clear, into the narrator's world. Fast and Funder (2008) have done some interesting work on personality being manifest in word use. They suggest that word use is much more closely related to personality than previously thought.
Old 05-20-13, 10:58 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And your intent would be?

I think word use can tell us far more than just the story. It is a window, clouded or clear, into the narrator's world. Fast and Funder (2008) have done some interesting work on personality being manifest in word use. They suggest that word use is much more closely related to personality than previously thought.
Thanks for the reference. That's interesting, I'll read it.
Old 05-20-13, 11:44 AM
blt

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Of course, these issues arise when we have contact with someone who is physically present, not just in on-line communications.

And it cuts in 2 directions. We encounter people who are not what they seem to be, and sometimes, it can take a significant period of time to discover that a person does not really have the personality that the person has attempted to create in his or her interactions with us. And then there are all the times when we speculate on the intentions of the person, bringing our own experiences and associations to the party, and infer something malicious when nothing malicious was ever intended. How many times have I seen relationships thrown into turmoil because someone assumed an intent that was never present. I believe in always assuming the best, if I am wrong and am kinder to someone than perhaps the situation warranted, is that so bad?

These kinds of mistakes are more likely in the Internet world of words only, but these mistakes are part of human interaction, whether based solely on text or based on much more.
Old 05-20-13, 11:57 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blt View Post
Of course, these issues arise when we have contact with someone who is physically present, not just in on-line communications.

And it cuts in 2 directions. We encounter people who are not what they seem to be, and sometimes, it can take a significant period of time to discover that a person does not really have the personality that the person has attempted to create in his or her interactions with us. And then there are all the times when we speculate on the intentions of the person, bringing our own experiences and associations to the party, and infer something malicious when nothing malicious was ever intended. How many times have I seen relationships thrown into turmoil because someone assumed an intent that was never present. I believe in always assuming the best, if I am wrong and am kinder to someone than perhaps the situation warranted, is that so bad?

These kinds of mistakes are more likely in the Internet world of words only, but these mistakes are part of human interaction, whether based solely on text or based on much more.
I'm with you as far as the principle of charity is concerned. Usually it is best to give people the benefit of the doubt, and that goes for the internet as well as other spheres of human interaction. I guess my point was that the less evidence one has, the more easily one is misled: by oneself, rather than one's interlocutor. And on the web it is easier to disguise one's true nature. Hence the horrible examples of "grooming" children by adults on-line.
Old 05-20-13, 06:33 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
For those who need to get up to speed: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...g-is-premature

For others who already know the basic story:

Here's what I now know. It was actually a case of three students being involved. One who was upset with me because of a grade given, and then there were two who were spuring him on to do something really stupid. Apparently the student who made the post told his "friends" that to him I was no longer his favorite teacher, in fact to him I was dead. They suggested he actually use that thought and find a way to make people think I was deceased. Long story short, almost any student can find my laptop in the classroom attached to the SmartBoard, and I had my setting for BikeForums so that I don't have to log in each time I visit. It was just a matter of their going to my "favorites" and picking a discussion forum. All three are under disciplinary review.

Here's what I've learned from alll of this:

1. I do need to pay more attention to my own cyber security than in the past. Being an "open book" has some real liabilities when someone wants to do damage.

2. At some point a post of my demise will be real. So, I'm even more aware that I've got to make the most of today. It's the only one I can count on.

3. My sense that you can have a cyber community was not false. There are people behind these posts and many of you have shared enough of who you are that I feel a bond.

4. I appreciate how quickly Tom S. and the other moderators stepped in to lock things down.

5. Finally, I feel blessed to have others out there that care about what happens or doesn't happen to me. It's a remarkable gift for which I am truly thankful.

Here's what I want to know.... How do I change my login name? It feels as if I need to let NOS88 drift away after what has happened. I'm thinking maybe "Ghostrider."
Shoot me a PM, and we'll discuss options. If you want a clean break to a new ID, I'll have to authorize a new account entirely. If you just want a name change, anywhere you've been quoted will still be listed as nos88 and link directly to your new name. To change that would require a complete database rebuild and would take the site offline for the duration, and I guess you know that's not gonna happen....

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-20-13, 09:31 PM
Waxbytes

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Much better that we have NOS88 remain than the remains of NOS88.
Old 05-21-13, 02:21 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

And I thought it was NOS meaning Nitrous Oxide Systems--wasn't sure what to make of the 88.
Old 05-21-13, 02:39 PM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I thought it was NOS meaning Nitrous Oxide Systems--wasn't sure what to make of the 88.
I think that's the year for his girlfriend's birthday....that'll make her all of 25 this year.
Old 05-21-13, 03:25 PM
NOS88

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Just a lucky number. It was 88 days after I met her that I proposed. We were married 88 days later. Not done intentionally, but you can't ignore stuff like that.
Old 05-21-13, 03:45 PM
Clawed

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a lucky number. It was 88 days after I met her that I proposed. We were married 88 days later. Not done intentionally, but you can't ignore stuff like that.
Hmmmm...first date January2, married April 2. That's close. And it's been 41 years now. And a basement full of bikes.
Old 05-21-13, 03:54 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why ever not?
Old 05-21-13, 03:59 PM
NOS88

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Why ever not?
I stand corrected. I chose not to ignore stuff like that. She is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best thing that ever happened to me.
Old 05-21-13, 08:06 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[/QUOTE].....

OK, NOS88 it shall remain.[/QUOTE]

Cool.
Old 05-21-13, 08:08 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cleaned up the thread a bit. Carry on.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-21-13, 08:34 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 183 Posts
I always kind of assumed the 88 was a pie anna reference. Guess we know what ya get when you ass u me.
Old 05-21-13, 08:46 PM
jdon

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
I cleaned up the thread a bit. Carry on.
Was it that bad?
Old 05-21-13, 09:07 PM
overthehillmedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
Was it that bad?
You know women and spring cleaning.
Old 05-22-13, 06:28 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad that the moniker NOS88 survives. I was about to launch a poll to decide on a new name. I was considering DOS88. I always thought the 88 was a date as in anything after 88 wasn't old.
Old 05-23-13, 06:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 711 Posts
My suggestion, NOS, would be that at you and your department insist that this incident become a permanent part of the student records, so that future employers are aware of the way that these individuals think and act. You'll be doing the rest of us a huge favor...

I like "Lazarus", too, as a screen name.

Cheers!
Phil G.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.