Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is it about turning 50?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is it about turning 50?

Old 05-26-13, 11:20 AM
bkaapcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At 50, it's pretty much official that you're on the downhill slide. Oh, you can fight it with; ever more exercise, testosterone supplements, better nutrition, but it's still a losing battle. Aches and pains abound, grumpiness arrives, leaky butt syndrome is here, teeth going to pot, gas galore, memory is fading, and less sex just for starters. I could go on, but you will soon get the point. It's when all that "burning the candle at both ends" comes back to haunt you.

At 84, my father in law gave me a clear window into the future, he said; after 75, if it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work. Food for thought.

Welcome to the wane! Enjoy! bk

Last edited by bkaapcke; 05-26-13 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-26-13, 01:42 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've mainly used this site to research specific questions and skipped the 50+ forum because it was for old guys.
Then it occurred to me that I am 61.
Old 05-26-13, 01:49 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke View Post
At 50, it's pretty much official that you're on the downhill slide. Oh, you can fight it with; ever more exercise, testosterone supplements, better nutrition, but it's still a losing battle. Aches and pains abound, grumpiness arrives, leaky butt syndrome is here, teeth going to pot, gas galore, memory is fading, and less sex just for starters. I could go on, but you will soon get the point. It's when all that "burning the candle at both ends" comes back to haunt you.

At 84, my father in law gave me a clear window into the future, he said; after 75, if it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work. Food for thought.

Welcome to the wane!
Old 05-27-13, 06:44 AM
samg07094

Bikes: 1980 steel frame with buckets, new 2009 Cannondale Quick 6 w/o buckets

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This thread has made me realize that, although I've always felt that I had a second-rate body, I've been incredibly lucky. Thanks.
How's that for one of the Top Ten sentences on the internet. For example, beats out that old "To be, or not to be" silliness.

And a Happy Wane to all you other codgers from Memorial Day 2013.

Last edited by samg07094; 05-27-13 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-27-13, 07:11 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can age gracefully or we can complain about ageism.

We can be thankful of our material abundance, or we can rail against the people who have even more than we do.

If we have grandchildren, we can celebrate them and be the doting grandparents we wished we had.

If we don't have grandchildren, we can be thankful that our hearts have not be taken hostage by a child growing up in a complex and dangerous society where it becomes almost effortless to make bad choices and end up just another statistical shipwreck.

If we can bike at all, we can celebrate the fact that we are, age adjusted, elite athletes.

Those who fancy themselves as spiritual would do well to keep these words (penned by The Byrds) in mind:

3 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
Old 05-27-13, 09:17 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, Pete Seeger put it to music in 1959 and did his version on an album in 62(He did write the lyrics "Turn, turn, turn"--everything else was taken from the Bible passage). The Byrds did a "cover" of the song in '65 which became a hit. As a song, it's really asking for world peace.
Old 05-27-13, 09:42 AM
dynodonn 
Senior Discount Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
The only thing that was different for me in turning 50 was the barrage of AARP junk mail. I've never responded, and it's been so long, I feel AARP has pretty much given up on me.
Old 05-27-13, 11:27 AM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got some AARP "mail" about a month or two before turning 50. My son makes sure to give me any mail from them. I remember when I turned 35 and my son relished telling me I now qualify for the Silver Care Plan.
Old 05-27-13, 01:18 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I always feel so - well, I don't quite know how I feel - after reading one of your posts!

However, anyway you look at it, in the long-term, life is a losing battle. I just try and enjoy every day, no matter my age.
Old 05-27-13, 01:20 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'd have to respectfully disagree, I am on the upswing from my 40s and a multitude of serious health problems, cycling has been a very major part of this for me. JMHO.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 05-27-13, 03:08 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
I got some AARP "mail" about a month or two before turning 50.
AARP stands for "Association that will inundate you with junk mail and try to sell you stuff if you join."
Old 05-27-13, 08:09 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
Actually, Pete Seeger put it to music in 1959 and did his version on an album in 62(He did write the lyrics "Turn, turn, turn"--everything else was taken from the Bible passage). The Byrds did a "cover" of the song in '65 which became a hit. As a song, it's really asking for world peace.
I'm for world peace.
Old 05-27-13, 08:37 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course in my later 70"s, I too will be looking for a "clean getaway". A popular hope among the elder crowd. bk.
Old 05-27-13, 08:44 PM
Oldoarsman

Bikes: 2011 Linear 3.0 XL, Cannondale Adventure 400, Univega Supra Sport, Trek T200 tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the often entertaining and insightful responses to my original quasi-rant post. I'm am now almost two weeks post procedure on my latest surgeries...stitches in both feet should come out tomorrow....then it's on to restrengthening my feet, legs, and cardio...one of the amazing things about the human body is its ability to adapt and keep moving, and to do more than I sometimes think that it's capable of doing...I look forward to many more miles passing under my wheels, and hopefully, my warranty has been now fully renewed....at least to the point where I can try to keep up with some of our more senior members.....the Jamestown GranFondo 2013 is coming up in a few weeks!

Last edited by Oldoarsman; 05-28-13 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-27-13, 09:34 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
We can age gracefully...

If we can bike at all, we can celebrate the fact that we are, age adjusted, elite athletes.
I really like what you wrote, Dudelsack. Good stuff!

Never thought about the "elite athlete" thing. Maybe I should stop comparing myself to everybody else who cycles and not be so dissapointed that I can't keep up as easily as when I was younger. Thanks for the reality check.
Old 05-27-13, 09:44 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To put it in my own cynical light:
It's not how well the bear dances, but that the bear dances at all.
Old 05-27-13, 10:19 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
I'd have to respectfully disagree, I am on the upswing from my 40s and a multitude of serious health problems, cycling has been a very major part of this for me. JMHO.

Bill
You go Bill! I'm in much better shape than I was in my 50s. I really regret that I did not discover cycling earlier though.
Old 05-28-13, 03:36 AM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in much better condition now than I was in my 40s.
Old 05-28-13, 12:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 42 Posts
I'd say you have an awesome doctor and great insurance plan! plus you are a terrific patient!
Old 05-28-13, 02:48 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm for world peace.
No, I mean really. I know all the beauty constestants always say that (remember Miss Congeniality?) but I really really want world peace.
Old 05-30-13, 07:21 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Do not------------I say do not allow some number to control your thots. Just keep doing what ever you can do. Do not say----------oh I guess I wont do that any more because of my age. If you do you WILL start the slide to the old dirt bed.

This year I will be 75 and I realize I am a very fortunate man. Never in hospital or had surgury. Do I sometimes have a few aches and pains--------yes. But-------I just ignore them the very best that I can. But for the most part I dont feel much different than when I was 50.

Most regulars here know that I ride a recumbent bike, and a couple years ago I added a trike. The pure fact is they do not cause pain when you ride them. Bents prevent pains that comes with age. That alone means you will ride more which helps maintain your health. Dont let the snobbery keep you off a bent.

I have a great deal of conviction and experience in what I say here as my father a farmer worked like a dog all his life. When he retired, he retired to his easy chair and did nothing. He rusted out and died in 3 years because he virtually did nothing to exercise. The old phrase ----------use it or lose it-----------is very real IMHO.
Old 05-31-13, 05:27 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I mean really. I know all the beauty constestants always say that (remember Miss Congeniality?) but I really really want world peace.
I want world peace as much as next person . I will never happen in my life time because many people's job all over the world depended on military industry .