Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The 50-Something Knee Revisited

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I am probably heading to my doctor this week and bracing myself for a lecture about my weight, but I need to have my knee checked out. I have been taking Osteo-Whatever-B-Flex for about 3 weeks and I haven't noticed any change in my knee. Maybe it is arthritis?
I am also taking the Escape to another dealer so that I can make sure my seat adjustment is correct.
I don't have any constant pain, but it does feel stiff or sensitive at times when I go to put weight on it while walking. When I am on my bike, it can appear for one or two complete cycles of the crank, then it eases up. I worry because my bro-in-law neglected his knee for about 15 years while he worked overseas. Now, he has had surgery, but they say a replacement is his only option.
So, do any of you folks have luck with supplements such as Osteo Bi Flex? I know this is all "armchair" stuff, but I appreciate the input.
Fred
Old 05-27-13, 03:02 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Never found any supplement that worked with my knees but higher cadence and lower gears do. I have a touch of osteo arthritis in both knees and was the main reason I gave up running 30 years ago. Cycling does not strain the joint much until it get to mashing on the pedals with low cadence and high pressure.

In fact cycling helps so much that IF I find pain with the normal home activities- I go for a ride. Within 5 minutes of a flat ride with high cadence and the pain has lessened greatly --if not gone.

But get it checked out- Knee problems can be caused by many things and a simple remedy may be available.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-27-13, 03:21 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Osteo B takes several months to do anything, if it works for you at all.

What kind of doc are you seeing? Orthopedic? GP?
If you have a choice see a Sports Medicine Doc.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-27-13, 08:25 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankykentucky
I am also taking the Escape to another dealer so that I can make sure my seat adjustment is correct.
Make sure your cleat adjustment is correct. If your posture is naturally toe-out or toe-in and your cleats are on straight, it's going to grind your knees until they are sore. That might not be your problem but if you think that it is, mention it to a good bike shop and they often provide a fitting service for adjusting them to your posture.

I say this because I have a toe-out posture walking or on the bike myself and have had to make those adjustments for decades now. In my case it hurt towards the end of my rides though, and afterwards.
Old 05-27-13, 08:56 PM

Bikes: motorized cruiser,& Mtn bike & Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Icy-hot, ben gay seems to be best for me.
Old 05-28-13, 02:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Never found any supplement that worked with my knees but higher cadence and lower gears do. I have a touch of osteo arthritis in both knees and was the main reason I gave up running 30 years ago. Cycling does not strain the joint much until it get to mashing on the pedals with low cadence and high pressure.

In fact cycling helps so much that IF I find pain with the normal home activities- I go for a ride. Within 5 minutes of a flat ride with high cadence and the pain has lessened greatly --if not gone.

But get it checked out- Knee problems can be caused by many things and a simple remedy may be available.
You have some good advice. Let me try the higher cadence and lower gears.
I will get it checked out, though!
Old 05-28-13, 02:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Osteo B takes several months to do anything, if it works for you at all.

What kind of doc are you seeing? Orthopedic? GP?
If you have a choice see a Sports Medicine Doc.
Thanks, I read on the net that a lot of people stop taking Osteo B before it actually kicks in and works.
I will have to check with insurance and my family doctor about choices. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-28-13, 02:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Make sure your cleat adjustment is correct. If your posture is naturally toe-out or toe-in and your cleats are on straight, it's going to grind your knees until they are sore. That might not be your problem but if you think that it is, mention it to a good bike shop and they often provide a fitting service for adjusting them to your posture.

I say this because I have a toe-out posture walking or on the bike myself and have had to make those adjustments for decades now. In my case it hurt towards the end of my rides though, and afterwards.
This is interesting. I know that I tend to pronate when I walk or run, so certain shoes work better for me than others. This is something to look into.
Old 05-28-13, 03:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuzzinit
Icy-hot, ben gay seems to be best for me.
I hopefully will check with my doc and find out it is arthritis or something else I just have to live with. I am afraid of damaging my knee, so I don't attempt to run any longer. My wife, who is a sprinter when it comes to walking, gets upset with me when I can't walk as fast as she can. But, I was told that fast walking can irritate a knee condition and so I try to pace myself. I used to jump rope, but I noticed some aches in my ankles and stopped that noise. Thanks!
Old 05-28-13, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam

=1 on this if I let my gearing slow down the cadence my knees hurt real bad,,,keep it high and all is well,,,,Bud