Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hub Oil

Old 05-30-13, 07:49 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hub Oil

When you service your hubs what is your preferred lubricant. Mavic recommends a light mineral oil. Are there any good substitutes? Lp
Old 05-30-13, 08:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
What kind of hubs do they recommend mineral oil for?
Old 05-30-13, 09:24 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Mavic recommends a light mineral oil. Are there any good substitutes? Lp
substitutes for the Mavic hubs?
Old 05-30-13, 11:57 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bound to get an Engineer on now that will tell us what form of grease to use but There is Bike specific grease for wheel bearings. Whether it is the best possible I have no idea but in 20 odd years of rebuilding hubs I have never had excessive wear on any of the hubs. That is for the cone and bearing type hubs that can be serviced but the kind with the sealed unit replaceable bearings you do not lubricate. Just replace the bearings when they get wear.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-31-13, 04:44 AM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

I should have been more clear, just assumed everyone would know I was referring to Mavic free hub bodies. I ran out of their recommended lubricant and have been unable to find a suitable replacement. Thanks in advance for any recommendations. Lp
Old 05-31-13, 05:08 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
I'm sure you'll get some more informed answers than mine in here soon enough. What I'm reading is to keep it very light for what you've got like sewing machine oil. I'm also reading that Phil Wood freewheel oil might be a little too heavy for Mavic's for some reason.

If you edit your header or original post to specify "Mavic" some Mavic owner will probably respond.

Last edited by Zinger; 05-31-13 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-31-13, 05:55 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
You would likely get much better response in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum.
Old 05-31-13, 07:15 AM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
You would likely get much better response in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum.
They're all too young! Lp
Old 05-31-13, 07:17 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
You'd be surprised about that one! Try PastorbobinNH, he hangs out in the C&V Forum and in the Mechanics Forum and, he has a side business rebuilding freewheel bodies, he knows his stuff about their design, workings and maintenance.

Bill
Old 05-31-13, 01:41 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
After googling, it seems a common question among people using Mavic freehubs

Here's some quotes from someone who appears to me to be knowledgeable about those particular hubs:

"Sewing machine oil, elictric clipper oil, Shimano or Magura mineral brake fluid. The oil needs to be very light if you use heavy oil or grease in a Mavic freehub the pawls will stick and your nuts will bounce off the the top tube."

"10 WT oil is way too thick you will still risk the pawls not hooking up in cold weather. Shimano brake fluid is about 2.5 WT if I remember right so is ideal, the proper Mavic oil is like water its so thin but costs about 20 a tiny bottle."

"Electric clipper oil is perfect I got a little in a nearly empty bottle off my local barbers free when I got a haircut its quality stuff his clippers cost about 200 and lead a hard life so he uses the best Wahl brand clipper oil. The little bit in the bottle has done 3 hub services so far you dont need much."

(end of quotes)

One guy says 10 weight motor oil will suffice but they argue about that for a bit as to whether it's even too heavy or not. I think that's a British forum so don't know if that brand of clipper oil he mentioned is available in the US. I'll bet sewing machine oil could be found somewhere.

The Bicycle Mechanics subforum might be worth a try.

Last edited by Zinger; 05-31-13 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-31-13, 03:45 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
I have used sewing machine oil before without issue. Never heard about using clipper oil. It can be bought wherever hair clippers are sold. The stuff is very light!
Old 05-31-13, 05:20 PM
TomD77

I have DT Swiss 240 hubs (and wheels). Recently the clicking while freewheeling became pronounced. A bit of internet work revealed that it is recommended that the drive hub star wheels be lubed once a year so I disassembled it (very easy) and used a light coat of Triflow (LBS recommended) but the clicking is still loud. More internet work turned up that there is a specific formula of VERY light grease required by DT Swiss and they will sell it to you for "only" $25 (+ shipping& handling) for 0.7 oz. A little more research shows that the DT Swiss formula is molykote tp42 made by Dow Corning and available for $50/gallon.

Apparently DT Swiss hubs are quite popular in some quarters so I'm thinking about buying a gallon and selling ounces for around $8. Someone needs to do it.
Old 05-31-13, 06:41 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Spinz View Post
They're all too young! Lp
Not by a long shot. Bicycle Mechanics forum is one of the best places on the web to find informed responses to queries about fixing bicycles. I have gone there for answers longer than I have visited 50+. I even got a few responses from Sheldon Brown himself back in the day. Misinformation has a very short shelf life there.
Old 05-31-13, 07:25 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Not by a long shot. Bicycle Mechanics forum is one of the best places on the web to find informed responses to queries about fixing bicycles. I have gone there for answers longer than I have visited 50+. I even got a few responses from Sheldon Brown himself back in the day. Misinformation has a very short shelf life there.
+1, As I said too, don't sell them short. BD is right about misinformation there, it will get eaten alive in very short order. I've followed a few threads where someone was a "Holiday Inn Express Expert" about some topic and the guys that knew the stuff were merciless on that toad. Sheldon answered a question I posted there right after I joined and I was dumbfounded that someone I had read and heard about for years was paying attention to what I had asked. Really nice person, what a loss to the bicycling community.

As before, either the Bike Mechanics or Classic and Vintage Forum for this question, it was well answered in #s 10 and 13, I'm a big fan of Pastorbob and his freewheel knowledge, P.M. him.

Bill
Old 05-31-13, 08:15 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Last time I oiled a hub was in the '70's. If I had to oil one today, I'd buy a different bike.

Oiling hubs sounds like something Sheldon would have enjoyed, both in fact and in concept.