Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sportif on Sunday.

Old 05-31-13, 05:39 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sportif on Sunday.

Just getting over my winter slacking off period and started doing a few of the local hills. Not too much but 30 milers with a few decent 12% hills that involve about 2,000 ft of climbing. Most rides show a 3,000 ft elevation gain so overall a low average of 100 ft climb per mile. With Pie break or breakfast it also gives me a low average ride speed of around 13 to 14 mph but I am happy about that. I know when I have done those rides.

But Sunday there is a 50 mile Sportif that involves a few slopes. The area is mostly flat but there is the ridge that the route keeps crisscrossing and looking at it there will be around 7,000 ft of climbing

First hill 1.5 miles at an average of 12%. 2nd is a short 3/4 mile at 16%. Next is 1 mile at 8 to 10 % finishing with 1/2 mile that steepens to 20%--Then the High and Over-12% average for a mile that has a 200 yard start at 20%. Finally there is a long climb that averages out at 8%. Average may be low but that one is a killer. No idea what the grade is but the first 1/4 mile has had me walking before. Then there is my bugbear of 2 miles at 5% with a couple of 10% short climbs on the 2 miles of that dead straight road.

So today is being spent sorting the TCR with a triple and I am sorting the wheels to get the 12/30 cassette on a good lightweight set.

Any other masochists planning a ride this weekend?

Spike Milligan
Old 05-31-13, 07:36 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Doug,
There are some typos in your post... Where it says things like "20 percent" and "7000 feet". Otherwise it sounds like a lovely ride.

Doing a 32 mile ride today to finish off the Strava monthly challenge with over 1050kilometers. There will be 800 feet of ascent. Glorious weather for a ride right now. I must wait for the wind to come up..

Post some pics of your ride!