Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Bike Swap Meet (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/893055-bike-swap-meet.html)

jim p 06-01-13 04:34 AM

Bike Swap Meet

Columbus Ga. is having a swap meet and I am heading out to see what treasures I can find. This is my first swap meet so I don't know what to expect. I am planning on making it a fun day and probably will just do a lot of looking and no buying. But we all know how that goes.

Ali_Pine 06-01-13 04:43 AM

Who, What, When, Where ???

Retro Grouch 06-01-13 05:22 AM

The good stuff goes quick so you have to get there early.

cccorlew 06-01-13 08:52 AM

I love telling this story....

I went to a bike swap a few years ago. There was a lot of junk, but a few gems. One booth had new shoes on sale. I always wanted to try Sidi shoes on, and there was a pair in my size, so I did. They were amazing. But even at more than half off they were crazy money expensive. I put them back on the shelf and told my wife "Too rich for me."

She said "How many mile did you ride last year? then "How many hours was that?" then "How far are you thinking on riding this year?" and Do you think you're going to stop riding?" and finely, "How much per mile do you think those wil end up costing?"

As you guessed, I bought the Sidi Ergo shoes. I wear them all the time and they are holding up really well with many many 1000s of miles on them.

So, shop well Jim P, and don't let the big one get away...

jim p 06-01-13 01:07 PM

I must have been too late. I didn't find any treasures but I did have a great time talking and looking at bikes and bike parts. They are planning on having this swap meet each year. I think that they said that the donations go to a youth safety cycling group where helmets and such are purchased and given to the kids.

jppe 06-01-13 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by jim p (Post 15692602)
I must have been too late. I didn't find any treasures but I did have a great time talking and looking at bikes and bike parts. They are planning on having this swap meet each year. I think that they said that the donations go to a youth safety cycling group where helmets and such are purchased and given to the kids.

We have had a booth at the swaps so that entitles you to get there when people are setting up and you can hand pick the good stuff.........

qcpmsame 06-01-13 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 15691959)
I love telling this story....

I went to a bike swap a few years ago. There was a lot of junk, but a few gems. One booth had new shoes on sale. I always wanted to try Sidi shoes on, and there was a pair in my size, so I did. They were amazing. But even at more than half off they were crazy money expensive. I put them back on the shelf and told my wife "Too rich for me."

She said "How many mile did you ride last year? then "How many hours was that?" then "How far are you thinking on riding this year?" and Do you think you're going to stop riding?" and finely, "How much per mile do you think those wil end up costing?"

As you guessed, I bought the Sidi Ergo shoes. I wear them all the time and they are holding up really well with many many 1000s of miles on them.

So, shop well Jim P, and don't let the big one get away...

Your wife is a definite keeper Curtis.

Bill

Cougrrcj 06-03-13 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15693605)
Your wife is a definite keeper Curtis.

Bill

You're soooo lucky! You are both heavily into the 'bike culture'.

Mine wonders why I need more than one bike - or why I'm buying parts/accessories... 'bike junk' she calls it...

I've tried, but she'll never be a bike person. She has ridden maybe a mile since I've known her - and that was almost thirty years ago.