Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Daughters Birthday

Old 06-01-13, 06:09 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daughters Birthday

A couple of years ago I posted this thread of what I bought my daughter for her birthday:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=birthdayb

She has bee riding it ever since but now it is getting a little small. The seat is up, the bars are up but the frame is cramped. So I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, a new bike or something else. This is what we came home with.

It's not a bike, she decided her current bike would do a little longer. But she has become quite the musician and now she wants to go after guitar. Ah - the joys of parenthood at a later age.
Old 06-01-13, 06:23 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way back when...I got lucky and stumbled accross a very nice Yamaha acustic with a hard case for only $50 at a yard sale. She was in the market for a guitar at the time and this one was not scratched or warped and came equiped with decent steel strings.

She got about $50 worth of use out of it before she stashed it in the closet. She doesn't know it yet but it's going to Chicago with me on my next trip westward to get re-united with her. Won't she be suprised?

Happy Birthday to your daughter!!
Old 06-01-13, 06:37 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lenny,

If this only finds a spot in the closet that's OK, maybe I'll pick it up. However, based on past history with this kid something tells me this is the down payment on a larger purchase.
Old 06-01-13, 07:18 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Lenny,

If this only finds a spot in the closet that's OK, maybe I'll pick it up. However, based on past history with this kid something tells me this is the down payment on a larger purchase.
Been there done that, our son is a guitarist, fortunately he has financed his habit his self. He's grown and out of the house now. But isn't this the same as an N+1 logic for us? Bazinga!

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 06-02-13, 06:00 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Been there done that, our son is a guitarist, fortunately he has financed his habit his self. He's grown and out of the house now. But isn't this the same as an N+1 logic for us? Bazinga!

Bill
I'll brag a bit - She is a downhill ski racer - currently has 4 pair, will need to apply N+1 this fall to pick up Super G. She is mastering the trumpet (already the top trumpet player in the district), I am told by her instructors that N+1 will be required there soon - next step up is big $$, Excellent piano player and vocalist but N+1 not required there. She is just turning 13 so a little young to ask her to pay for her own stuff and as long as she excels and we have the means it is hard to say no. I view this as all building that college portfolio and increasing the odds for a reduction in out of pocket college expenses. That's the plan anyway.

By then end of the evening last night she was already playing and singing a song on it.
Old 06-02-13, 06:23 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
She is one very talented young lady, I am sure you are proud of her abilities. With those musical chops she certainly score the scholarships for college, Monica and I had a couple of students from our teaching days, in the mid 80's, that got full rides with music performance scholarships, they all used them for minors in music performance (all were piano and voice combinations) and got BS degrees before going to graduate school. We just finished paying for our daughter's masters degree at UGA after Smith College undergraduate work, now for our son's ESL masters degree. Thankfully their grandparents had trust funds for all the grandkids and our son got a full Bright Futures Florida Scholarship. Her talents will be a blessing in several ways, congratulations to you and her, maybe youo could post a video with audio of her playing the trumpet and piano when you have time.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 06-02-13, 06:35 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the kind words. Sounds like you brought up a bunch of good ones as well!
I have a few old videos but the acoustics were terrible. We have a major concert in a few weeks in a venue that doesn't ring like a church bell. But I will post a pic from last winters High School Sectionals (She is a 7th grader skiing at the High School Varsity level). Many options for aid here, I am just the enabler along for the ride - watching as this story unfolds.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SkiRacer.jpg (62.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-02-13, 07:14 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
I'll brag a bit - She is a downhill ski racer - currently has 4 pair, will need to apply N+1 this fall to pick up Super G. She is mastering the trumpet (already the top trumpet player in the district), I am told by her instructors that N+1 will be required there soon - next step up is big $$, Excellent piano player and vocalist but N+1 not required there. She is just turning 13 so a little young to ask her to pay for her own stuff and as long as she excels and we have the means it is hard to say no. I view this as all building that college portfolio and increasing the odds for a reduction in out of pocket college expenses. That's the plan anyway.

By then end of the evening last night she was already playing and singing a song on it.
Considering the not-so-great options that teenagers have today (and I guess yesterday, as well) what a great way to spend your $$. And, in years to come, you will be repaid a thousand times in a thousand ways you don't even dream of right now.

My kudos to you and your daughter. Bragging is appropriate.
Old 06-02-13, 08:06 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, 84 Stumpjumper, 2 Waterfords, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, looking for a Ti frame and Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have gone through the same things with my daughter, bicycles, golf clubs, french horn, piano, digital slr, lenses, film slr.....upgrades to the bikes. Then there was the lessons for everything. Now she is at USC in the journalism program and doing great, she is looking into summer internships.

Your daughter is very talented and it is great that you encourage developing these talents and discovering new ones.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 06-02-13 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-02-13, 02:32 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all - there is a big gap between our two daughters, the older one is off on her career and we are proud of her as well. However, I have never seen anything like this younger one. If she keeps her head on straight we will be chasing her all over the place. I have given up most of my cycling to nurture in every way I can. Last summer I did not do a single century and probably won't this summer as well, I simply don't have the time to train properly. But my life is fuller then ever.
Old 06-03-13, 07:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
my daughter asked for a guitar too for a holiday gift last year. she took lessons for about a year and a half. we recently stopped the lessons to save the $120 a month. she didn't mind. she never practiced and never played unless the instructor was here. disappointing. she was so excited to get it. I hope she picks up again later in life. I thought it was beneficial anyway. she plays clarinet with the school band too.
Old 06-03-13, 05:05 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
my daughter asked for a guitar too for a holiday gift last year. she took lessons for about a year and a half. we recently stopped the lessons to save the $120 a month. she didn't mind. she never practiced and never played unless the instructor was here. disappointing. she was so excited to get it. I hope she picks up again later in life. I thought it was beneficial anyway. she plays clarinet with the school band too.
We probably won't spring for lessons for the Guitar, she seems to be working through it pretty quickly already.
Old 06-03-13, 08:31 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey Fool, get freindly with you're band director, and directors from other schools. They always know where a nice Getzen or Selmer Mark series is laying around. Plus they know lots of other people in the biz. Should be able to hook you up with a good quality horn at a reasonable price.

I have an old Epiphone LesPaul custom and a Fender Jazz sitting because my old arthritic fingers just don't work anymore. Just can't bring myself to sell them.

Be proud of you're daughter. You should be. She sounds like a great kid.

Mark Shuman
Old 06-03-13, 08:49 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I couldn't get my daughter to even TRY guitar, so I got her this. Early "sweet sixteen" gift (she hits 16 in December)....
Attached Images
0417161337_09.jpg (104.5 KB, 5 views)
0417162759_08.jpg (93.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-04-13, 06:53 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phread59 View Post
hey Fool, get freindly with you're band director, and directors from other schools. They always know where a nice Getzen or Selmer Mark series is laying around. Plus they know lots of other people in the biz. Should be able to hook you up with a good quality horn at a reasonable price.

I have an old Epiphone LesPaul custom and a Fender Jazz sitting because my old arthritic fingers just don't work anymore. Just can't bring myself to sell them.

Be proud of you're daughter. You should be. She sounds like a great kid.

Mark Shuman
Thanks Mark!
I think she will end up with a Bach Strad for the Horn, she has a nice Yamaha now and plays it well. Last summer she played with Ray Vega - he told us she was very good. We have a good line on a trumpet coach who retired as the band director for one of the local school systems and is now a local talent. Her voice coach is a broadway artist who took her on about a month ago.