Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Performance, fitness and benefit

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Performance, fitness and benefit

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
As far as I can tell, nobody so far in the thread has suggested that being as physically fit as you can be is some sort of moral imperative, or the most important thing one can do with one's life. You're just erecting a straw man argument here, as well as equivocating by implying that others have taken a position they have not, in fact, espoused.

Speaking for myself, my life goes better when I take plenty of exercise. I feel better, both in terms of physical health and of a more positive outlook. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Same here.
Wife and kids notice it when I don't get out
Old 06-07-13, 09:45 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
As far as I can tell, nobody so far in the thread has suggested that being as physically fit as you can be is some sort of moral imperative, or the most important thing one can do with one's life.
Odd. Most contemporary American statists are making that exact argument. We have a moral obligation to keep our weight down, ban large sugary drinks and outlaw McDonalds, stop the blight of cigarettes, etc. etc. because to do otherwise puts an undue financial burden on the taxpayers of this country.

I don't disagree with that viewpoint necessarily. The point is that it is not, as you contend, a Strawman.

Old 06-07-13, 09:50 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Odd. Most contemporary American statists are making that exact argument. We have a moral obligation to keep our weight down, ban large sugary drinks and outlaw McDonalds, stop the blight of cigarettes, etc. etc. because to do otherwise puts an undue financial burden on the taxpayers of this country.

I don't disagree with that viewpoint necessarily. The point is that it is not, as you contend, a Strawman.
The contention was that FrenchFit was erecting a strawman in the context of this thread - nobody but him had put up the argument that he was knocking down.

I you'd like a debate on whether we have a moral obligation to maintain ourselves in the best possible health, I'd be happy to oblige, but I have a horrible feeling we'd quickly get the thread moved to P&R, which would be a pity...
Old 06-07-13, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm currious if the OP had stated, "I find incorporating rest and moderation actually incurease my fitness." would this discussion have taken a different track?

One thing that troubles me is the notion that there is a universal "good for you." While, planners, demographers, researchers, and others may have identified some elements of what is good for people, on an individual level it varies widely. As an example, my younger brother is constantly pushing himself physically, often to the point of injury. Yet, he views that as a good way to live his life. For him, if it doesn't hurt or wear you out, you're not getting your full measure of living. While I don't agree with him, I know what I think doesn't really matter to him. He's pretty much of the mind that it's better to be a bright candle that burns out quickly than one the flickers away for a long time.

In any event, I get the feeling that there is a lot of defending positions in this thread that are the result of lack of clarification and some assumptions being made.
Old 06-07-13, 10:58 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I'm currious if the OP had stated, "I find incorporating rest and moderation actually incurease my fitness." would this discussion have taken a different track?
it would. To some extent it has made its way to the same destination, though, with the discussion about balance in training, and the fact that even the pros train mostly at moderate intensities.

...my younger brother is constantly pushing himself physically, often to the point of injury. Yet, he views that as a good way to live his life. For him, if it doesn't hurt or wear you out, you're not getting your full measure of living. While I don't agree with him, I know what I think doesn't really matter to him. He's pretty much of the mind that it's better to be a bright candle that burns out quickly than one the flickers away for a long time.
Some of these analogies (the earlier reference to treating a sedan like a racing car is another) seem to me to be false. People aren't candles or machines. Biological systems renew themselves, they don't simply wear out from overuse. It's arguable that "burning brightly" is more a recipe for long life than is just "flickering away".

In any event, I get the feeling that there is a lot of defending positions in this thread that are the result of lack of clarification and some assumptions being made.
I agree.
Old 06-07-13, 11:19 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
it would. To some extent it has made its way to the same destination, though, with the discussion about balance in training, and the fact that even the pros train mostly at moderate intensities.

Some of these analogies (the earlier reference to treating a sedan like a racing car is another) seem to me to be false. People aren't candles or machines. Biological systems renew themselves, they don't simply wear out from overuse. It's arguable that "burning brightly" is more a recipe for long life than is just "flickering away".

I agree.
Analogies always run the risk of being false. But their intent is to illustrate or clarify not to correspond directly to the thing being described. I would offer that biological systems only renew themselves to a point. Consider those who need knee, hip, or other joint replacements. My brother knows he has a genetic condition that will likely create serious problems with his knees. He knows the onset of this will come quicker as he puts stress on them. Yet he won’t even consider a reduction in playing basketball in an intenesly competitive league and then having to ice his knees and limp the next two days after each game. It is very much an attitudinal thing for him. Why baby his knees when he can use them doing what he likes until they give out? He also knows that with knee replacements his basketball playing days will likely end. I’m confident he’ll find something else that pushes his body to the point of damage. Self-destructive or living life to its fullest? I’m pretty sure that in reality they may not be mutually exclusive
Old 06-07-13, 11:20 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Son, that's why they call us the human race​.
Does that qualify for using the race card?
Old 06-07-13, 11:24 AM

Bikes: paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fitness... 5 hours a week.... do not care about the speed or mileage....
Old 06-07-13, 11:45 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Hey, I'm just going to agree with everyone, and I did go outside the thrust of the OPer and comment about the thrust of this "fitness" dialogue through-out the BF. But, seems funny, I just got an email ad from 24hr Fitness Gyms, every sentence has one of the magic fitness words, e.g. "goals", "willpower", "motivation", "success", "commitment", ...please, we're talking about sweating and breathing hard, not about winning an Olympic gold medal.
Old 06-07-13, 11:52 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Self-destructive or living life to its fullest? I’m pretty sure that in reality they may not be mutually exclusive
No indeed. Though I'm inclined to the view that most self-destructive behaviours (alcoholism and other drug addictions, self-harm, defeatism of various kinds) are a product of the opposite of "living life to the fullest". Pressing on with his basketball may be destructive to his knees, but maybe not to his self, in the wider sense?

And when the basketball is no longer an option, turn him on to cycling. Very kind to the knees, and we'll race him.
Old 06-07-13, 11:53 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
No indeed. Though I'm inclined to the view that most self-destructive behaviours (alcoholism and other drug addictions, self-harm, defeatism of various kinds) are a product of the opposite of "living life to the fullest". Pressing on with his basketball may be destructive to his knees, but maybe not to his self, in the wider sense?

And when the basketball is no longer an option, turn him on to cycling. Very kind to the knees, and we'll race him.
Knowing his abilities he'll probably kick my arse!
Old 06-07-13, 12:06 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phillybill
fitness... 5 hours a week.... do not care about the speed or mileage....
All well and good. Just don't say that's all anyone else "should" do and declare that doing more is pointless for people over 50. If you do that you might get an argument.
Old 06-07-13, 12:47 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, I'm not ashamed to admit that while I ride for personal fitness and fun, a portion of my riding is performance-mined, in that I push myself to actually beat some of the guys I ride with sometimes, especially in the hills. Guess what, some guys beat me too. It's all in the fun of riding. I can take my licks. I also like hearing compliments on how strong I've become or how well I rode a particular tough hill. I make a point to reciprocate with the compliments since it' all about having good clean fun while getting/staying fit. We try not to get overly serious with it all.
Old 06-07-13, 01:10 PM

The contention was that FrenchFit was erecting a strawman in the context of this thread - nobody but him had put up the argument that he was knocking down.

I you'd like a debate on whether we have a moral obligation to maintain ourselves in the best possible health, I'd be happy to oblige, but I have a horrible feeling we'd quickly get the thread moved to P&R, which would be a pity...
Don't know about that. I might even agree with you, Heaven forbid.

Old 06-07-13, 01:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't know about that. I might even agree with you, Heaven forbid.
LOL. While we're on the subject of strawmen and other logical fallacies, let's not forget arguing ad hominem. ​Very important to remember that even the habitually wrong can be right.
Old 06-07-13, 01:37 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

As the OP I don't mind being disagreed with, it's fully expected.

I don't agree with the "no pain, no gain" brigade, but do agree
within a training regimen pushing as hard as possible will get
you to as good as your going to get within that regimen, as
long as pushing hard doesn't cause you any problems.

I'm not interested in being as good as I'm going to get anymore.
My contention is as long as you over extend your body compared
to what its used to, you will get fitter, and that doesn't mean to me
remotely exploring the pain barrier, it means to me going a little faster.

I started riding again at Christmas, and have settled to about 100 miles
a week. I'm still getting better and faster without trying too hard, and
I don't really care if where I get to by this coming Christmas I could
of got to some months earlier by torturing myself on each ride.

My conjecture, as I'm no expert, but have done a lot of running, is
that "pain does not equal gain". My conjecture is you can only get
fitter relatively slowly in old age, and all that needs is for you go
a little faster each time, i.e. always pushing a little more overall,
over a week, not each ride, some are bimbles, some I try harder.

My conjecture is if you plan to do something for a long time for
your general fitness, not for competition, you can bumble along
at say 90% of where you'd be trying a lot harder for a given weekly
mileage, and it will make very little difference over the long term.

I'd also say someone riding a bike for say 10 hours a week
with moderate pushing will be better off long term than
someone pushing hard for 5 hours a week.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 06-07-13 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-07-13, 01:40 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Or sohpmoric, pretentious, affected.
Old 06-07-13, 02:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sreten
H My conjecture is you can only get
fitter relatively slowly in old age....
My personal experience is that this conjecture is mistaken. It may well be more difficult to build muscle as one gets older, but that is a different matter. I find I respond to training just as fast as ever I did. The difference is in recovery - I need more rest between hard efforts than I used to. But if I ramp up the intensity of my training, the improvements in performance happen remarkably fast.

rgds, sreten.
Here, I tend to agree, though much depends on what "moderate" and "hard" means. And the issue is the balance between the two. Even if one is training for racing, out of (say) twelve hours per week on the bike, no more than two or three of those would typically be spent going "hard".
Old 06-07-13, 02:18 PM

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Hi,

My point is for fitness pushing hard all the time, especially at 50+, is counterproductive.

You can getter fitter and faster by not pushing so hard, which is counter-intuitive.

Challenging yourself all the time is not effective training - niggles or injuries
will develop and won't get fixed always pushing hard when you you ride,
and of course are caused by pushing too hard in the first place.

Personally I have no idea how fast I could go on my usual rides, (though I
note my better rides), or how I'd feel afterwards if I did push my limits.

Performance is relative. When young I used to run with a friend who was
simply faster than I was, (a point made at the end of the runs, but so what,
it was true), but didn't train as much. One day near the end of a run I just
blasted up a big hill because I felt good doing it, and he simply couldn't keep
up. He asked if I could of kept it up to the end, and I honestly said I think so.

Don't get me wrong wrong, I started again in December and have been
going faster with each month, but its coming without trying too hard.
As you get faster each month becomes more effective training.

rgds, sreten.
Hi,

As the OP I don't mind being disagreed with, its fully expected.

I'm not interested in being as good as I'm going to get anymore.
My contention is as long as you over extend your body compared
to what its used to, you will get fitter, and that doesn't mean to me
remotely exploring the pain barrier, it means to me going a little faster.

I started riding again at Christmas, and have settled to about 100 miles
a week. I'm still getting better and faster without trying too hard, and
I don't really care if where I get to by this coming Christmas I could
of got to a some months earlier by torturing myself on each ride.

My conjecture, as I'm no expert, but have done a lot of running, is
that "pain does not equal gain". My conjecture is you can only get
fitter relatively slowly in old age, and all that needs is for you go a
little faster each time, i.e. always pushing a little more overall,

My conjecture is if you plan to do something for a long time for
your general fitness, not for competition, you can bumble along
at say 90% of where you'd be trying a lot harder for a given weekly
mileage, and it will make very little difference over the long term.

rgds, sreten.
You keep repeating it is counter productive

I don't think any of us can push our hardest every pedal stroke. One of the things about cycling is the ability to coast and most of us do. So you point about 10 moderate vs Hard is moot. Further more why is not 10 hours moderate and 10 hours hard? What about 5 hours moderate 3 hours slow and two hours full tilt vs 10 hours moderate?

I just turned 50 and have had gains in climbing times and overall speed steadily since Christmas. I believe it is because I am pushing harder. Not huge but improving. I feel less beat up after long rides because of my form. How is the at counter productive?

you seem to elude that it is bad for your body and have no study to back up the claim.

you need to define counter productive and what it means within the context of your statement

you need to define hard and what it means within the context of your statement

You have found a formula that works for you great. I am sure it will work for others as well.

I enjoy pushing hard and improving, When I cant improve I will enjoy declining slowly or quickly and tracking it.

Cycling seems to be one of the sports that if you keep at you will lose speed but not as much as other sports

There are guys older than me that drop me like a rock off a cliff

I think blanket statements of what is right for everybody are difficult to substantiate and will always be controversial.
Old 06-07-13, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Pushing as hard as possible is difficult, uncomfortable, sometimes painful but ultimately satisfying for some people. Those with type A personalities are competitive and like to push themselves. There is pleny of suffering in cycling. Others are happy to just ride and smell the roses. There isn't a right or wrong way to ride as long as you are enjoying yourself
Old 06-07-13, 02:35 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hi,

My conjecture is you can only get
fitter relatively slowly in old age,
and all that needs is for you go
a little faster each time, i.e. always pushing a little more overall,
Curious

What's your working definition of "old age?"

Years - and if so, what year(s)?

Functional - and if so, what functions or loss of function would define old age?

Something else - i.e., someone older than you are?
Old 06-07-13, 02:35 PM

LOL. While we're on the subject of strawmen and other logical fallacies, let's not forget arguing ad hominem. ​Very important to remember that even the habitually wrong can be right.
You mean: even a blind pig finds an acorn ever now and then.

Old 06-07-13, 02:43 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You mean: even a blind pig finds an acorn ever now and then.
No, I don't. That's not much of a saying, actually. Pigs have a superb sense of smell, they'd have no difficulty finding acorns with their eyes shut. They're better than truffle hounds at finding truffles - the only reason people use dogs for the prupose is that it's tough to stop a pig from eating the truffles.
Old 06-07-13, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Everybody here uses too many generailzations.
That's because if a little is good, more is better!

There's a lot of room between what most of us consider pushing to the max and what it would take to damage ourselves by cycling too hard too much. If someone likes doing it, I can't think of any physiological reason why not.
Old 06-07-13, 04:43 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My personal experience is that this conjecture is mistaken. It may well be more difficult to build muscle
as one gets older, but that is a different matter. I find I respond to training just as fast as ever I did.
Hi,

My personal experience of 25 years of running, off and on, was that that it
got initially harder and took longer to get to where I could get to, each time
I started again, and over over the years, where I could get to inevitably
declined. YMMV but I could go from whatever to pretty decent in 1
month in my twenties, it took about two months in my forties.

rgds, sreten.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.