Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

When will membership be revoked?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-03-13, 03:48 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How seldom can I ride before my membership on Bike Forum revoked?

I am 59 years old now so I'm safe in 50+
And I'm 250 lbs so no concerns about my clyde status.

But it's this "bike" thing. For all practical purposes, I've stopped riding my bike. Once a month maybe.

I go in blitzes...It was biking in 2010, 2011, tapering off in 2012. now nearly never.
My passion in 2012 was canoeing, and this year it is backpacking. I'm lugging 50 lbs on walks a couple times a week to prepare for a week long wilderness hike in early september.
But that isn't biking, so I know that nobody is interested.

When I get this hike thing out of the way, it may be back to biking and canoeing because they are more suited to my stately age and physique. But until then,...

Now that I've spilled my guts and fessed up to my sins, at what point do I become persona non grata here?
Old 06-03-13, 04:01 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stop being so damn honest,,,
Hike, Ride, Paddle, Live your Life YOUR way until you Die...
Do you really think It matters ? I mean Its a chat room these forums,
a chat room to share our passions.... Stay, Leave, Its your choice..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don't waste another breath on such Drama, save it for the canoe trip, or the hikes.

Contemplate this on the 'Tree Of Woe' XD

Last edited by osco53; 06-03-13 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 04:13 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dump the canoe and get a kayak. Cycling? You'll get back to it eventually. In the meantime, just keep the bike covered in the garage. Don't let it set outside, especially in humid Victoria. If I lived in an area as beautiful as you do, I think I'd spend more time on the water instead of the seat of a bicycle, as do you. Whatever you do, don't stop moving.
Old 06-03-13, 04:41 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously, it still interests you enough to hang out on a cycling forum. I've been on and off the bike a couple of years at a time my whole adult life, though I am shooting for a couple of uninterrupted decades now.
Old 06-03-13, 04:49 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Now see, that's the beauty of 50+.

Earlier this year we had a major to-do in 50+ about what constitutes a suitable topic. Ultimately it was determined that off-topic subjects would be tolerated. Enjoy your walk in the woods and hang around for as long as you enjoy us.
Old 06-03-13, 05:29 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
My passion in 2012 was canoeing, and this year it is backpacking. I'm lugging 50 lbs on walks a couple times a week to prepare for a week long wilderness hike in early september.
But that isn't biking, so I know that nobody is interested.
Actually, I'm interested.
Old 06-03-13, 05:51 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested too. Solo hike or group? Where? Sounds like a great reason to put off cycling for a bit. Keep us up to date please.
Old 06-03-13, 06:05 PM
jdon

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Dump the canoe and get a kayak. Cycling? You'll get back to it eventually. In the meantime, just keep the bike covered in the garage. Don't let it set outside, especially in humid Victoria. If I lived in an area as beautiful as you do, I think I'd spend more time on the water instead of the seat of a bicycle, as do you. Whatever you do, don't stop moving.
Best part of Victoria is you almost always have some water in sight. Victoria through Naniamo is far and away, the prettiest part of Canada. You will be back skilsaw. A break every now and then is good.
Old 06-03-13, 09:56 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Merlin Ti

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sheesh guess he just doesn't get it.
We are ALL over 300lbs, really don't even own a bike, never mind ride one of the silly things.
We just like to make believe...now you know the truth...
Old 06-03-13, 09:57 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
... Victoria through Naniamo is far and away, the prettiest part of Canada....
What?? And I thought that distinction belonged to us here in the Okanagan! The lakes, mountains, orchards, wineries .... okay, I'll grant you that Vancouver Island isnice too.

Back to topic, I had a friend text me yesterday asking if I wanted to go hiking on a weekend this summer. Mmmm, give up a whole weekend not cycling in the summer? I don't think so.

I've spent years hiking, climbing, and kayaking and loved every minute of it ... now I'm happy to be 50+ and enjoy riding the bike(s).
Old 06-03-13, 11:41 PM
Rowan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc View Post
What?? And I thought that distinction belonged to us here in the Okanagan! The lakes, mountains, orchards, wineries .... okay, I'll grant you that Vancouver Island isnice too.
As an outsider looking in, I think both are very impressive with their own attractions. I'm happy to visit either/or or both on our regular trips back to Canada. It's probably Vancouver Island's turn next time around.
Old 06-04-13, 05:11 AM
jdon

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back to topic, I had a friend text me yesterday asking if I wanted to go hiking on a weekend this summer. Mmmm, give up a whole weekend not cycling in the summer? I don't think so.

I've spent years hiking, climbing, and kayaking and loved every minute of it ... now I'm happy to be 50+ and enjoy riding the bike(s).
I know... You get a close second place but come to think of it, the Sunshine Coast is really nice, as is the Lower Mainland, North Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii, Kootnays etc, etc... Come to think of it, BC is pretty darn nice.
Old 06-04-13, 05:28 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
50+ uses the Eagles' Hotel California membership rules, "You Can Check Out Any Time You Like, But You Can Never Leave........" Just don't take Check Out to the extreme, please

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 06-04-13, 10:29 AM
overthehillmedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One quick qestion, if I may, How many times did you use your snowshovel last year? I only used mine once and even then I didn't really need to.
Old 06-04-13, 11:00 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
What's wrong with hiking. I'm mostly riding the bike the last several years but I have enjoyed week long backpacking outings, both in New Hampshire and Colorado. A good hike through quiet and serene woods is good for a healthy mind and body.
Old 06-04-13, 11:00 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
I know... You get a close second place but come to think of it, the Sunshine Coast is really nice, as is the Lower Mainland, North Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii, Kootnays etc, etc... Come to think of it, BC is pretty darn nice.
It certainly is. Back in the 90s, I did two trips a month to BC for several years. My ports of call were, Prince George, Vernon, Langley, Duncan and Delta.
Never got tired of the place, any time of year.
Old 06-04-13, 11:09 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
One quick qestion, if I may, How many times did you use your snowshovel last year? I only used mine once and even then I didn't really need to.
I didn't use the snow shovel even once ... my wife shovels the driveway. Lucky me.
Old 06-05-13, 07:20 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Simple solution to getting back into riding - get rid of your canoes and hiking gear. Seriously, do what you have to do in order to keep active. The urge to get back on the bike will return as the urge to canoe or hike diminishes. Or you can retire early and have time for all three hobbies.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-05-13, 01:51 PM
mprelaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
50+ uses the Eagles' Hotel California membership rules, "You Can Check Out Any Time You Like, But You Can Never Leave........" Just don't take Check Out to the extreme, please

Bill
Yup, as I see it, there's only one way that your 50+ membership can ever be revoked, unless someone discovers that there really is such a thing as the fountain of youth.
Old 06-05-13, 01:59 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
A simpler solution is just lie like everybody else here. Say you do 80 mile days with 3,000 feet climbs and average 22 mph.
Old 06-05-13, 02:47 PM
Rowan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw View Post
Yup, as I see it, there's only one way that your 50+ membership can ever be revoked, unless someone discovers that there really is such a thing as the fountain of youth.
Or a Time Machine. Where's Dr Who?
Old 06-05-13, 05:20 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like all three, hiking, bicycling, and canoeing.

Concerning the canoe, I have an 18 foot Wenonah Sundowner which I solo, using a modified paddle. Take an aluminum kayak paddle, take off the paddles, add two single sections from aluminum paddles, put the paddles back on, and you have a greatly extended solo kayak paddle for a canoe. I have paddled upstream on the North Umpqua River using this paddle in minor rapids, by going from rock to rock and finding eddies to rest. Now I'm in the Portland, Oregon area and will be on the Willamette, Columbia and other smaller streams. It is wonderful exercise.

Concerning your passion for hiking, I have a suggestion. If you come up with an injury, switch temporarily to bicycling to help heal. My wife and I love to walk, but I am about 200 pounds, and she is somewhat less than 100 pounds. She won't slow down, so I tried to do some power walking, and sprangled (sprained/mangled) my right knee about three weeks ago. I then re-injured it one week ago, but started doing some light bicycling. It healed very quickly, and now I can walk again.

Today I was out for a 16+ mile ride, and combined it with coffee and meeting a fellow who is interested in occupational safety and health; we had a very good discussion, which we'll continue in the weeks and months ahead. Yesterday, I was in the Clackamas River scuba diving. As others have said, simply continue moving and enjoying.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
John & Canoe.jpg (76.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by John C. Ratliff; 06-05-13 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 07:23 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The membership committee here are notoriously inattentive so you have little to worry about. But beware of overdoing not overdoing it... it's bad for you.
Old 06-10-13, 01:00 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the wide ranging comments and advice. I really appreciate the encouragement and humour.

Biking is a good sport to do solo, much as I enjoy doing it with friends. I stick to bike trails and roads where there are other people if I get into trouble and I can do it right from my front door. Both Hiking and canoeing, I need to load the gear in the car and drive somewhere first. Putting the Canoe on the roof of the car alone is a struggle.

So, I'll keep the bikes tuned and ready to ride, and continue to pay the Bike Forum Annual Dues when the bill comes in the mail each December. I just can't understand why I have to send it to a post office box in Nigeria.
Old 06-10-13, 06:10 PM
Rowan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Have you considered something like this:

http://www.boathoist.com.au/boat-loader.html

I know the link is Australian, but you might be able to fabricate something similar to go on the trailer hitch. I am considering doing something like that after we've moved, settled and got our canoe and other water sports stuff again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.