Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Should I Test Ride a Bike Next Week??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/893671-should-i-test-ride-bike-next-week.html)

jppe 06-04-13 08:04 AM

Should I Test Ride a Bike Next Week???

I've received emails from Specialized, Giant and even Parlee to sign up to test one of their bikes one day on Ride the Rockies next week. Heck, my relatively new Cervelo is just getting broken in. And I have way too many bikes in the garage as it is. What in the world would I do with another bike??? I have to admit that testing out a Parlee Z5SLi might be interesting though...........

What would you do??

buckwheat987 06-04-13 08:55 AM

never hurts to explore and examine other makes

overthehillmedi 06-04-13 10:00 AM

Tease Yourself. :)

qcpmsame 06-04-13 04:34 PM

Joe,
Ride them all, if one strikes your fancy let that cook up in the cerebral area. Test rides are a great way to keep up with what's going on in our world. Anywho, we could use your reports on them to dream and drool:rolleyes:.

Bill

Bikey Mikey 06-04-13 04:39 PM

Plus, if you ride and then buy and then regret the number of bikes you have, you can send to me. He He.

It wouldn't hurt to ride and experience any new or improved tech. Also, if someone asks you for a recommendation for a bike you've ridden, you can convey your actual experience.

billydonn 06-04-13 04:44 PM

It is your scientific/moral duty to ride them and report your results. You must. :)

NOS88 06-04-13 05:50 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: You're kidding, right? You have a chance to test ride them and are even thinking about it. Oh, my. I know a therapist that could get a summer home out of helping you figure out why you even questions that one. ;) Ride 'em while you can. You may not have the chance tomorrow.

Zinger 06-04-13 06:13 PM

You have a Cervelo and want more ?
That's already a mighty fine machine right there.

"Don't buy upgrades....Ride up Grades" ~ Eddie Merckx

Do what your heart tells you though. If I could afford to spend $ right now I'd buy about half a dozen oldies myself.

icyclist 06-04-13 07:21 PM

Some years ago, on a century ride in California, I tested a Specialized Roubaix, before the model was released to the public. I now have a Roubaix.

Dudelsack 06-04-13 07:28 PM

Don't do it. Your Cervelo will get jealous and asplode the next time you leave it in the sun.

Rwc5830 06-04-13 08:24 PM

Sounds like I should aspire to "Ride the Rockies" ! Guess it's an invite only?

Why ask, you're just trying to make us jealous ;) Enjoy it!

stapfam 06-04-13 11:42 PM

Silly question.

Providing the bike is set up for you then there is no doubt you should wear out their bikes instead of yours. But unless it is perfect- don't try it on in the 30 mph chain gang.

BikeWNC 06-05-13 06:47 PM

Take the Parlee and run! I'd like to hear your impressions.

Garfield Cat 06-05-13 07:20 PM

Not comparable, too many variables, the wheels and tire pressure. Are you going to bring your own wheels to the various rides?

dalameda 06-06-13 08:58 AM

You aren't really asking if you should test ride these bikes, you are asking if you are ready to buy a new bike. Of course you are!

CenturionIM 06-06-13 09:34 AM

I wish I get a chance to test ride a TCR advanced.

Just ride them all and don't buy them. Give all your cash, CC card, checkbook to your wife or something.

And post ride reports here.

dbg 06-06-13 09:39 AM

My rationalization: There is no better way to spend money than on things that keep you interested in continued exercise and activity.

gtragitt 06-09-13 09:06 PM

I rode a test bike last year at RTR. From the test ride I surmised that what I was riding suited me just fine. I would encourage you to test what interests you.

Have fun. Last year was fantastic.
Greg

Rick@OCRR 06-09-13 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do the test ride and have fun doing it! There's no commitment to buy, so no worries. I doubt any of them will surpass your Cervelo in any case. I did a test ride today, except it was a mountain bike, not road. http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=322278I'm used to my hard-tail, this one was full squish. Faster on the descents, slower on the climbs. Still undecided. Rick / OCRR

rydabent 06-10-13 07:02 AM

Test rides can be an eye opener. When I was in the market for a trike, I had the oppertunity to ride a delta trike. Almost from the first turn of the pedal it just didnt feel right. Right at the beginning of the test there was an off camber turn that frankly scared the hell out of me. Shortly after I got off, another rider test rode it. At that same off camber turn he rolled it, and got a nasty road rash. No--I wont name the brand. But then I rode the tadpole trike I have now and the difference in feel in corners was very different.

rumrunn6 06-10-13 07:41 AM

doesn't N+1 always apply to everything cycling related? my old work colleagues used to call it my obsession. well ... so what? their lives of mediocrity lived down to their expectations.

buelito 07-07-13 04:57 PM

hey Joe-
I ended up testing the Calfee on the next-to-the last day, when we did 94 miles and had that screaming descent out of the canyon (got over 55 mph!!). The bike was fabulous! It fit like a glove and had dura ace electronic shifting. I was a little skeptical of the electronics, but it shifted oh so well. I tested it under stress (on a climb) and it shifted flawlessly. I really liked the bike--retail price around $7000 as tested. I asked about pricing and they said I could probably get it for around $4000 at the end of the ride. Unfortunately it was not in the budget. It was a great ride though. I also tested the Bianchi "The Best of" which was a little small, so I didn't like it as much--it was Campy Super Record all around, and the frame was designed for the cobbles of Paris/Roubaix. It runs around $10,000 and is not race legal (too light!).
The rest of the ride i did on the bikefriday, and it was great! Am looking froward to next year!

train safe-

jppe 07-08-13 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by buelito (Post 15824704)
hey Joe-
I ended up testing the Calfee on the next-to-the last day, when we did 94 miles and had that screaming descent out of the canyon (got over 55 mph!!). The bike was fabulous! It fit like a glove and had dura ace electronic shifting. I was a little skeptical of the electronics, but it shifted oh so well. I tested it under stress (on a climb) and it shifted flawlessly. I really liked the bike--retail price around $7000 as tested. I asked about pricing and they said I could probably get it for around $4000 at the end of the ride. Unfortunately it was not in the budget. It was a great ride though. I also tested the Bianchi "The Best of" which was a little small, so I didn't like it as much--it was Campy Super Record all around, and the frame was designed for the cobbles of Paris/Roubaix. It runs around $10,000 and is not race legal (too light!).
The rest of the ride i did on the bikefriday, and it was great! Am looking froward to next year!

train safe-

Terrific!! I went over and talked to the Parlee folks and was directed to someone who I was told "had all the answers". That was an understatement -at least in his mind.....but the real issue was the fella was a total and complete jerk with zero interpersonal skills. He knew it all and I was "stupid" for asking questions about fit.........I just turned around and walked off.

buelito 07-08-13 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 15828895)
Terrific!! I went over and talked to the Parlee folks and was directed to someone who I was told "had all the answers". That was an understatement -at least in his mind.....but the real issue was the fella was a total and complete jerk with zero interpersonal skills. He knew it all and I was "stupid" for asking questions about fit.........I just turned around and walked off.

sorry you had such a bad experience with the Parlee people... I really wanted to test the SRAM, which was a relabeled Specialized S-Works with all the top of the line SRAN components on it--retail around $15,000... but my size was not available. Seems they signed them all out the first day, unlike what they advertised, that it would be first come first srved every day. Oh well, there is always next year :) When i have taken 'atypical' bikes, my goal has been to ride the whole thing on my bike-- hence the fixed gear in 2007 and the Dahon last year. This year, the friday was similar to the dahon (but much, much better), and i felt like trying other things. I did use the Friday on Wolf's Creek Pass-- it climbed flawlessly.

train safe-

Myosmith 07-08-13 08:36 PM

I'd ride every bike they'd let me on.