Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Finally Shiny (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/894159-finally-shiny.html)

cranky old dude 06-06-13 05:37 PM

Finally Shiny

After several years of service as my primary commuter I have finally relegated this venerable machine to "Recreational Use". So now one could say that we are both retired!

Working 50 to 65 hours per week on a rotating shift schedule while also trying to be involved with my family barely afforded me time to maintain the mechanical integrity of this great bike. Through several years of taking me back and forth to work in fair weather and foul, it collected more than it's fair share of grease, grime, dirt, scuffs, and it just looked really rough.

Well we spent a few hours of quality time together out in the garage the other day. It seemed like it might be a good time to clean the old girl up a bit before the riding season kicked into gear (pun intended). It went well. I just hope that someday I can clean-up and look even half this good!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...psacc40c15.jpg

Yeah I know, but it's still raining out and I'm getting bored...so I decided to shoot and share! :rolleyes:

jdon 06-06-13 06:44 PM

I can't imagine cleaning that much chain! Looks great. Retirement becomes it.

JanMM 06-06-13 06:47 PM

Looks almost OCD clean.

overthehillmedi 06-06-13 07:21 PM

What, no before picture, how do we know you just didn't grab a bike from the LBS and pose the picture, not that we doubt you . :)

qcpmsame 06-06-13 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 15713709)
Looks almost OCD clean.

Nice job Lenny, well done sir, well done.

And Jan, from a long time member of the club:notamused: its CDO:twitchy:, get the alphabetical order down, man, good grief:innocent:.

Bill

JanMM 06-06-13 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15713907)
nice job lenny, well done sir, well done.

And jan, from a long time member of the club:notamused: Its cdo:twitchy:, get the alphabetical order down, man, good grief:innocent:.

Bill

ko

qcpmsame 06-06-13 08:18 PM

Better much:innocent:

Bikey Mikey 06-07-13 01:38 AM

Nicely done.

NOS88 06-07-13 06:29 AM

It's clean and it's blue. I've always liked blue bikes.

Shp4man 06-07-13 09:44 AM

That must be what, about 3 or 4 chains spliced together? I've never ridden a recumbent bike. Have to give it a try sometime. How much does it weigh?

cranky old dude 06-07-13 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shp4man (Post 15715936)
That must be what, about 3 or 4 chains spliced together? I've never ridden a recumbent bike. Have to give it a try sometime. How much does it weigh?

Chain length is just shy of 11'. The bike weighs 230 pounds with rider (30 pounds without + accessories).

Retro Grouch 06-07-13 02:47 PM

"230 pounds with me in it." Sounds like a drag racer.

cranky old dude 06-30-13 12:36 PM

Totally dis-assembled and cleaned on the 6th of June......after weeks of relentless rains, 40-hour work weeks (a good thing), and various other obligations....I finally got in a nice little 20 mile test ride today, the 30th of June.

Happy to discover that the bike runs better than ever! I had forgotten the thrill of powering that little SWB jewel through uphill turns and the ease of slow speed maneuvering through the crowds down at the beach.

Now Cranky's gonna open a cold Molson's Canadian Lager! Ahhhh. :beer:

Dan Burkhart 07-01-13 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 15799235)
Totally dis-assembled and cleaned on the 6th of June......after weeks of relentless rains, 40-hour work weeks (a good thing), and various other obligations....I finally got in a nice little 20 mile test ride today, the 30th of June.

Happy to discover that the bike runs better than ever! I had forgotten the thrill of powering that little SWB jewel through uphill turns and the ease of slow speed maneuvering through the crowds down at the beach.

Now Cranky's gonna open a cold Molson's Canadian Lager! Ahhhh. :beer:

Clean bikes always run better. Looks good.