Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Training diaries and riding logs

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-08-13, 01:00 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

First, please leave the negative comments out of this, I respect that some riders don't like anything that is beyond pedaling and seeing the area as they ride, I enjoy that too. I am simply looking to see what others that do use these aides are recording and if it helps them with their training and rides. Respect that some riders like to have this information to help them, please, I need all the fitness and health data, about me, for my doctors. If your thing is criticizing what I am asking and want to leave a negative comment I have no control over that, just remember what it looks like to act immature.

I use the Joe Friel's, "The Cyclist Training Diary" and I also know of the diary that Bicycling Magazine publishes. The set up of Friel's diary is convenient for me to use and is straight forward, I don't use the Zone Training aspect as I don't have an HR monitor, yet. The fitness data, such as resting HR, weight, resting BP, avg, heart rate are helpful for my tracking things for my doctors' use in treating my renal failure and my recovery from the surgeries, that is a big reason that I keep the diary. My physicians like being able to look at the HR and BP on a daily basis and what I am doing or eating (I log what each meal and the one daily snack contain.) The mileage log and pace are good to see for trends in my speed/pace and the mileage per week.

I also log on the Endomondo web site for their statistics over the day, week, month and year and the graphs they provide so I get a visual of my progress or lack of same. The ability to see what things look like from a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis helps me with my management and training very much. I do not use the sat tracking feature though I do have the app on my phone for that if I want to start. Strava doesn't seem to be for me, just don't care for it personally, I know many here love the features and get a lot out of its use, great for everyone that does! I combine the written diary with the input in Endomondo to complete my picture of my fitness and how my riding is progressing or should be failing with this method.

What method or diary do others here use? Are many using a spread sheet that you set up on Excel yourself or got from someone? Do you like Strava, Endomondo, Map my Ride or another on-line or SatNav tracking program or application? If you use a power meter tell how you integrate that into a logging or diary format so you can refer to the information and data. If you use the Sat/Nav type combined with a GPs, such as a Garmin, and their proprietary site or software, how do you use that data (climbing, descending, mileage, etc.) for your planning and training.

It will be neat to see and, learn from others here that like to track the training and their fitness/health,by what ever methods we have adopted. If you don't want/like to keep any information and just like to take a ride, that is great with me and, I am sure, everyone else here that does enjoy this activity. It actually takes very little time for me to log things and input at Endomondo, it has become just routine for me. Looking forward to learning more about what others. are doing.
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 06-08-13, 02:14 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started on the road to recovery I logged every day. Somehow I let go of that but I'm thinking it would help me to start again.

Charlie
Old 06-08-13, 02:35 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I did keep track, I used BikeJournal.com - heck, I don't even know if they are still around?? I'll go and see if I can sign in

EDIT:

Yes, I can still log in!

They were a nice bunch of folks, as I recall.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-08-13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 04:05 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planning? Uh... I guess I kind of make up my plan as I go along. I still use Bikejournal.com but Strava is more important to me now. I'm surprised you don't yet have a HRM on the bike Bill. It can tell you a lot about how your body is reacting. The Strava suffer score is based on time spent in various HR zones and I find it very useful. Garmin Connect gives you pretty much the same info minus the social elements.

HR data is especially useful to tell me when I am overtraining and need to back off, and it's satisfying to see that a hill that used to peg my HR doesn't anymore. For most people a HRM opens up a new world of analysis and potential for planning.

Obviously, some things like amt of climbing are interesting to know, but mostly don't play a terribly big role in planning a program. It is also somewhat useful to know how much elevation is in a certain route of course.

I guess I do more post ride analysis and musing than planning and still ride by how i feel a lot. But i sure do like having data to look at.

Edit: I have recorded every ride since I began five years ago. It started with mileage and has gotten more detailed over time.

Last edited by billydonn; 06-08-13 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 04:08 PM
fmy906

Bikes: 1979 schwinn varsity

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava+HRM+bike computer.
Old 06-08-13, 05:00 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Write as if you're leaving a legacy to your family members. Flesh out the ride, not with just statistics but how you felt and how you dealt with the challenges of that ride. Write about the people that you stopped on the way to help them out with a puncture or something else. Write about how that new piece of gear works.

Some of what you write just might end up in your eulogy.
Old 06-08-13, 05:30 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Strava. The iPhone app is amazing in that I've gone on a 50 miler and finished with 4/5 of the battery life left. Then I push the button and it uploads automatically.

I don't take detailed notes but if there was something noteworthy on the ride I put it the title of the ride. One other nifty feature of Strava is if you take a photo and upload it to Instagram on the ride, it will synch automatically to Strava. My scenery is nothing special but it is fun to share it with others around the globe.
Old 06-08-13, 05:56 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
Planning? Uh... I guess I kind of make up my plan as I go along. I still use Bikejournal.com but Strava is more important to me now. I'm surprised you don't yet have a HRM on the bike Bill. It can tell you a lot about how your body is reacting. The Strava suffer score is based on time spent in various HR zones and I find it very useful. Garmin Connect gives you pretty much the same info minus the social elements.

HR data is especially useful to tell me when I am overtraining and need to back off, and it's satisfying to see that a hill that used to peg my HR doesn't anymore. For most people a HRM opens up a new world of analysis and potential for planning.

Obviously, some things like amt of climbing are interesting to know, but mostly don't play a terribly big role in planning a program. It is also somewhat useful to know how much elevation is in a certain route of course.

I guess I do more post ride analysis and musing than planning and still ride by how i feel a lot. But i sure do like having data to look at.

Edit: I have recorded every ride since I began five years ago. It started with mileage and has gotten more detailed over time.
I don't really do any planning in the diary/journal, O look at the way I am feeling, the weather conditions and traffic then decide where and how long to ride. I am looking at a HRM now, no Power meter is forthcoming, too expensive for our budget.

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Write as if you're leaving a legacy to your family members. Flesh out the ride, not with just statistics but how you felt and how you dealt with the challenges of that ride. Write about the people that you stopped on the way to help them out with a puncture or something else. Write about how that new piece of gear works.

Some of what you write just might end up in your eulogy.
I do record items for each day, short notes about how I am feeling, if there is any pain from the surgical sites, bike probpems, new components or equipment and what needs to be adjusted as well as any maintenance performed, all in the Notes area for the day and at the end of the week. Back of the diary has a bike set up, geometry, changes and maintenance sections you can use to track this type of information. My eulogy, er, umm, my will states no memorial service, no funeral and no obituary, cremation and urn at our church's Garden of Repose. Good idea for others though, cycling is such a big part of our lives that would make sense.

I haven't heard of Bikejournal.com, I will look into their site, thanks for the lead.
Old 06-08-13, 06:19 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use BikeJournal.com.

It hasn't been updated over the years and doesn't have all the fancy graphs, charts, and maps that others do now, but I find it works for what I need. I also like the several challenges you can join.

With the paid version, ($20/year) you can customize the data fields you track (there are over 30 of them), and the display to a certain extent. I have all my privacy settings set to public, so you're free to look around at the way I have mine set up and how I use it.

My BikeJournal Ride Log
My BikeJournal Profile

And you can see that when I go to work on Monday, I'll hit my 100 commutes on the Commuter Cycling Century Challenge. I'm generally in the double-century category by year's end.

EDIT: Oh, the other thing I like about it is that it doesn't lock my data in. I can download my ride log as a comma-separated value (CSV) file whenever I want. Easy to suck into Excel or port someplace else. I haven't found another site that lets me keep my own data offline.

Last edited by tsl; 06-08-13 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 06:23 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill,
I recommend the Garmin Edge 500 bundle (with HRM and cadence) . Use Garmin Connect if you don't like Strava. It's a whole new world of entertainment. Edge 500 is very easy to use, a big deal IMO.

I didn't bring up powermeters because I knew you would not be into that. I use mine primarily indoors, when I am in full "overdoing it" mode on the trainer.
Old 06-08-13, 06:42 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other thing about Strava (I know I sound like a shareholder): it will keep track of the mileage you put on various components, useful for stuff like tires and brake pads.
Old 06-08-13, 07:08 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to use Ascent, but now I'm on the Strava bandwagon. It makes it easy.
I also try to blog as much as I can about bike stuff and rides I do. Some entries I think contain useful info (Old guy tips on surviving a double century, or Ultegra Shifter problems) and some are just so I'll remember the rides, like todays entry.

http://ccorlew.blogspot.com
Old 06-08-13, 08:39 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Don,
I don't have a Garmin or other GPS save my phones abilities. I guess I'm a Luddite. For an engineer that one gets me in trouble sometimes. I may look into a Garmin, though, thanks for that thought.

tsl, thanks for your links, I'll peruse the site and look at your application of them, the export capabilities seems nice to me, Excel is becoming a great tool for my engineering work lately.

DS, thanks, but I am just not Strava, but I hope others reading this thread will look into using it since you and Don, as well as a ton of others here and the rest of the world, seem to love using it.

Monica downloaded the Endomondo app this afternoon, without knowing I use it, and tracked her ride, she wants the ability to track and record workout information for Jazzercize, which she loves doing 3 times a week.

Thanks for the responses, Curtis,a blog is beyond my comfort level, this place maxes me out socially. Your blog is neat to follow, though, nicely done, and I'm not surprised at that.

Bill
Old 06-08-13, 09:09 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a spread sheet I have used for a number of years with columns for: Date, Elapse time, Mileage, Avg Speed, brief description of temperature and wind, brief description of the route, Bike ridden and a special field for misc. notes. I track mileage and average speed for the month and year. I also use color coding to indicate which rides are group rides with pace lines.
Old 06-08-13, 10:10 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill
I guess I'm confused about what you want. If you want to get and use HR data you'll need a device to record HR. And IMO just knowing HR avg during a ride is pretty sketchy information. If all you want is a place to record data you already have something like Bikejournal will do.

A clear picture of how your body responds to exercise may require you to give up your Luddite ways?
Old 06-09-13, 09:08 AM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill, I use the journal published by Bicycling but I don't recommend it, especially for your needs. With a whole week on less than two small pages, there's not much room to record details. Sounds like, for an hard copy journal, Joe Friel's is better.

Dave
Old 06-09-13, 10:04 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Years ago I bought one of those training diaries. Still have it actually. But, I realized that what I really track is rides by date to include: distance, time and average speed. I track my weight on a scale once a month. That's about it. So, I don't need a diary just a pad of paper. At the end of the month I'll do some math to see how many miles I've ridden.
Old 06-09-13, 10:06 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Years ago I bought one of those training diaries. Still have it actually. But, I realized that what I really track is rides by date to include: distance, time and average speed. I check my weight on a scale once a month. I don't bother to write it down. That's about it. So, I don't need a diary just a pad of paper. At the end of the month I'll do some math to see how many miles I've ridden.
Old 06-09-13, 10:25 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I never did any charting or logging my rides until I got my first Garmin about 3 years ago and started uploading my rides, first to Garmin Connect, then RideWithGPS, then Endomondo and then Strava. Currently I load to all four of these sites as each serves a different purpose for me and since it takes very little time to upload to another site once I'm set up and connected to the computer. Each site has something that the others don't and I'll post rides from different ones to highlight different things. I did use MapMyRide briefly, but found it unsatisfying.

My initial reason (and still the top priority) for uploading was to be able to show people in my club where I rode. It helps with my Pied Piper of bicycling role. I also use RideWithGPS for mapping routes, both for personal use and for club rides and events. Looking at rides I've done helps me come up with new combinations for routes.

Since I finally broke down and got a smart phone less than a year ago, I have occasionally used phone apps to load ride data, but usually find that to be more trouble. I'll use the Endomondo app when I have to squeeze in a quick ride just to make sure I get Bike Challenge points that day.
Old 06-09-13, 11:11 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
Bill snip ...I guess I'm confused about what you want.
Don, I'm not looking to add anything to my diary ("The Cyclist Diary", Joe Friel) and in using Endomondo. I'm satisfied with the data I collect and what I am learning, as well as the fact my doctors like having the data to look at. I just was curious if any others here were using a diary or log for their riding or training. I do plan to add an HR monitor, the wrist and strap style, but that is all. I have thought about using a Garmin but, I ride in the area I live in and the two phone apps I have do the trick there.

I'm happy with the system I'm using and it works so I don't want or need to "fix" it. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused in my wording, that is a weak point for my trying to write intelligently. Please continue to recommend methods and devices, though.

Bill
Old 06-09-13, 05:30 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I ride real hard, sometimes I ride mellow, when I get tired I stop, hungry I eat,,,,
I still don't own a bike 'puter' or run Strava or some such thing..
IMO These toys or any kind of tracking would take from the ride not enhance it, or me..
Old 06-09-13, 06:12 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Please lock the thread moderators or administrators, thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-13, 06:23 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I just bought a Garmin Edge 510 with the bundle and I also got a Garmin Connect account. The Garmin Edge 510 is paired to smartphone via Bluetooth (installed the Garmin Connect app to my smartphone). The data from my ride is loaded real time to my Garmin Connect account. When I complete my ride I can immediately see the data on my smartphone, today while sitting in the car, or wait and view it on my computer.

FYI - With Garmin Connect, if your device is paired to you smartphone, those you have given access can see your progress real time. In addition, you can post your rides to Facebook or Twitter (if you want, I am not that vain).
Old 06-09-13, 06:27 PM
Allen

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As per OP request, thread is locked.
Old 06-09-13, 06:27 PM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing sophisticated for me. Since my racing days in the 80s/90s, and still to this day, I just make a few notes (ride mileage, avg speed, sometimes the loop i rode that day, sometimes the weather, an maybe how i felt/rode) in the date blocks of a wall calendar after every ride. I have every year since 1988. I just refer to old notes as needed. Works for me.