Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Last time you had 2 flats in 1 ride?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-09-13, 02:56 PM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

[COLOR="#000080"]Wow! The last time I had 2 flats in one ride was late 1980s, until today that is. That first time in the 80s was the reason I began carrying 2 tubes. Today's flat # 1 was also the first flat since getting back on the road bike 11 months ago, after a 12 yr break.
The big difference between now and 12 yrs ago when I was last on the road bike? Mini-Pump!!! Man, you better eat your Wheaties if you desire air pressure anywhere near the 120 PSI that I use! Both times today, it was work but i got her done, especially with a short rest break halfway thru each tube. My last experience with portable pumps is the old-school FRAME pumps. My how things change! Probably got them to 100-110 PSI, well enough to easily complete the 31 mile ride. Anyway, when have you last flatted twice in one ride?COLOR]

Last edited by WC89; 06-09-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 03:06 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Wow! The last time I had 2 flats in one ride was late 1980s, until today that is. That first time in the 80s was the reason I began carrying 2 tubes. Today's flat # 1 was also the first flat since getting back on the road bike 11 months ago, after a 12 yr break.
The big difference between now and 12 yrs ago when I was last on the road bike? Mini-Pump!!! Man, you better eat your Wheaties if you desire air pressure anywhere near the 120 PSI that I use! Both times today, it was work but i got her done, especially with a short rest break halfway thru each tube. My last experience with portable pumps is the old-school FRAME pumps. My how things change! Probably got them to 100-110 PSI, well enough to easily complete the 31 mile ride. Anyway, when have you last flatted twice in one ride?
When was the last time I didn't have two flats on one ride?

It happens regularly around here - like 2 weeks ago and 1/4 mile apart.

and the Topeak Road Morph works wonders - even to 120 psi. Not even much of a sweat.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-09-13 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 03:11 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Last summer. I didn't find the little rock that caused the first flat until I rode about 5 more miles. Fortunately I had a patch kit with me and I found a good place to stop. It doesn't take much more time and effort to patch 2 tubes than to do just 1 so I rebuilt my inner tube inventory for the ride home.

Prior to that I don't know - maybe a decade. If I lived in goat head country, like Denver does, I'm sure it would happen lots more often.
Old 06-09-13, 04:15 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Can't recall a two flat ride. I did have a two flat drive a few months ago - changed the tire and the spare went flat while I was trying to make it to a gas station. I get a lot more flats with my car than with my bike, despite putting two or three times more annual mileage on the bike. In fact, I've had only one bike flat in the last 20,000 miles.
Old 06-09-13, 04:44 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I stopped getting flats when I started riding with Conti GP4000S tires almost two years ago. Prior to that I was frequently getting flats. My record was 4 flats in one ride. I got quite good at patching tubes quickly, and only once did I have a patch leak.
(I was slow to realize a tire could wear too thin!)
Old 06-09-13, 05:11 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Tires are sooooo much better now than they were in the '80s that it is rare to have even one flat, let alone two. However, I did manage to head out in the predawn (okay, several hours before dawn) last spring for a self-supported double century in the coast range without checking the condition of my rear tire. I changed the tube in the dark about 45 miles from home and proceeded on. When that one failed a short time later I finally took a close look a the tire and realized that I was running on cords. I put in my last tube and headed for home. When that one flatted, I patched two tubes and proceeded on towards home with no glue/vulcanizer left. I was still well short of cell phone coverage when I put my last tube in. Of course, I managed to maim that valve and had to try to limp towards home on fifty psi with a slow leak. Eventually, that tube deflated and I started walking. Another cyclist stopped and gave me his spare tube, but unfortunately it had a hole in it. After a five mile walk, I met up with my wife who had ridden out to give me a fresh tire and tube.

I didn't do my double century, but I had a great time.
Old 06-09-13, 05:17 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
I'm probably jinxing myself now, but I don't think I've ever had two flats in one ride.
Old 06-09-13, 05:34 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
I remember three flats in one ride twice in my 30+ years of riding.

Here's my favorite story though... riding on a popular road (The Bears!), I look down and see a dark green circle on my front tire. I stop to see what it is, and discover it's a thumbtack - pull it out and the tire goes flat. I tossed the thumbtack down, fixed the flat and started riding again - then noticed a dark green circle on my front tire. I had run over the SAME THUMBTACK again. So now I always remember to throw puncture vectors far away from the pavement.
Old 06-09-13, 06:26 PM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

About a month ago I had 5 in one weekend. I came out to ride and my back tire was flat. I changed it but I did not find the cause. About 10 miles into the ride I flatted again and this time we found a piece of wire in the tire. We stopped at my LBS and they changed out my rear wheel for one they had been working on for me and I rode about 10 miles home. The next morning I found the rear tire on the new wheel flat. I changed the tube for a new tube still in the box and it went flat in less than 3 miles (the tube was cracked at the stem) put on a new tube and about 10 miles into the ride flatted again with glass in the tire. 5 in 2 days, more than I've had in 2 years
Old 06-09-13, 11:03 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
It rained last season one day when my wife and I both had two flats on the same ride. That was a record.
Old 06-10-13, 05:30 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Can't recall a two flat ride. I did have a two flat drive a few months ago - changed the tire and the spare went flat while I was trying to make it to a gas station. I get a lot more flats with my car than with my bike, despite putting two or three times more annual mileage on the bike. In fact, I've had only one bike flat in the last 20,000 miles.
Wow!
Old 06-10-13, 05:42 AM
WC89

Mini Pump work-out! What a great arm work out I can't imagine someone with little arm strength trying to inflate to any degree of tire hardness with a MP As I said earlier, you better had eaten your Wheaties before the ride
Old 06-10-13, 06:34 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever have.

Oh, and thanks for the jinx bait
Old 06-10-13, 09:49 AM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Last week, 1/8 mile apart. Recovery ride -------- I especially hate flats on a recovery ride. Lp
Old 06-10-13, 09:59 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
April 27 2013 on a 68 mile ride
Old 06-10-13, 10:00 AM
WC89

Originally Posted by jimf22003 View Post
now that i think about it, i don't think i ever have.

Oh, and thanks for the jinx bait
:d:d

I don't know why the letter/symbols appeared when I clicked on the "grin" emoticons.
Old 06-10-13, 10:47 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
During last year's Cool Breeze Century, (I rode the double-metric century), I had THREE flats. And even then, I "limped" home, stopping about every five-ten miles to put more air into the tube. For the past several years, I always ridden with two spare tubes. I sure needed both of them that day. I also carry a patch kit ... just in case.

I've since gone to Bontrager hard-case tires and haven't flatted since. The shop told me that the tires I was using were racing tires. Hah! No wonder I got so many flats.
Old 06-10-13, 10:49 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 6182 Post(s)
I accept the weight penalty of puncture resistant tires to avoid that .
Old 06-10-13, 09:21 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I was never so happy to have 2 flats in a row as my first time riding with a new friend Tom. 15 years older than me and he was dragging my sorry butt up a hill in 90 degree temps.
Old 06-10-13, 09:35 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
It depends how you define a ride. My wife and I went on a 74 day ride and had 13 flats.

When I was commuting (working), I had 5 flats in 5 days, but I can't recall if there were any multiples on any single day.
Old 06-10-13, 09:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Two flats in quick succession on a solo century about 5 years ago, other than that I can't think of two in one day.

Early at PBP 2011 I was passed by an 80 hour rider who'd started hours ahead of me. We chatted a bit before he sped away. In the first... maybe 50k... he'd gone through all his spare tubes and patches and then some, receiving help from others. I never found out if he finished. N+1 flats can happen, no matter your preparation.
Old 06-11-13, 12:48 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Flats happen and I have got used to it but have found that if flats start occurring frequently- then there is usually a reason. Main one being worn tyres and it is surprising how good a tyre can look until it is removed and the amount of rubber left is felt. Two flats on a ride is unusual but had it happen on the Pinarello on an early ride with it. The tyres I had already decided had to go as I did not like the feel of them but when the first flat happened the tyre was extremely light for a steel beaded tyre and the reason was the amount of rubber there wasn't. I had run across a lot of gravel earlier in the ride but was still surprised when within 1/2 mile another puncture occurred in the pther wheel. Both caused by small bits of grit that had penetrated the carcass. New tyres bought and couldn't get black so went for white Pro Race 4's. Within two weeks I hit a kerb hard and snakes head on the front. Later in the ride and another puncture in the same wheel that went down very quickly but was within 5 minutes walk from home. Took the tyre off and a split in the sidewall. That kerb was harder than I thought so don't trust the other tyre and it is on the spare wheels.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-11-13, 11:08 AM
Artmo

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Had three people with one flat each on this morning's ride!