Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Your "Men Don't Read the Instructions" Bicycling Example??

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-10-13, 08:43 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, we guys (and gals??) are notorious for not reading the instructions.

What's are some of your worst bicycling examples?

Does it work now?

How much extra $$ and time did it cost you?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-10-13 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 08:49 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

OK, here's one:

Failing to read the map on a century and following a guy I thought knew what he was doing. Yes, he knew what he was doing - meeting his wife for lunch and not doing the century.

Cost - one phone call to wife to come and bail me out - I was way off course. And I should have known that when there were no other bicyclists around.
Old 06-10-13, 09:22 PM
overthehillmedi

Denver you forgot to include in the cost the constant reminders from the Lady Nora about the time when you didn't follow the map, and I know she reminds you.
Old 06-10-13, 09:40 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
Denver you forgot to include in the cost the constant reminders from the Lady Nora about the time when you didn't follow the map, and I know she reminds you.
Naw - in my overall 49 years (almost) of married "not reading instructions" - extending far beyond bicycling, this is a minor league event. She has much better ammo then this.
Old 06-11-13, 01:25 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
OK It's time I fessed up.

First set of wheels I laced up I speed read Jobst Brandt's excellent book on wheel building and laced up a perfect set of 3 cross 36 spoke wheels except without any offset on the rear wheel to allow for the freewheel.

Well it didn't take me long to realize my mistake so I had to put the front back into the wheelstand, set my little screws to the center, loosen up all my rear spokes and re-true the rear rim to line up with that. Since nobody was watching I've never had to admit this until now.

The wheels actually came out pretty good even though the rear spokes were the same length on both sides. The rims and tires were Wolber clinchers and I rode on them for quite awhile until I sold my Univega Gran Rally.

Last edited by Zinger; 06-11-13 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 05:37 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Vitus Aluminum, DiamondBack Apex, Softride Powerwing 700, "Generic" Ishiwata 022, Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Failing to read the map on a century and following a guy I thought knew what he was doing.
I did something similar during Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003. I was coming into a village and could see the fluorescent green arrow way up ahead but I couldn't yet tell what direction it was pointing. And before I could get close enough to tell, a large delivery truck parked in front of it (it was at a "T" intersection and must have been on the side of a building). No problem - the guy way ahead of me was close enough to see before the truck got there - he turned right so I'll just follow him. I rode all the way to the next village (about 10 miles) and when I didn't see any PBP arrows, I realized that I had taken a wrong turn. So I had to backtrack. I was planning on finishing that day but the lost time meant I would be finishing in the dark. So when they told me at the last control that vandals have taken many of the reflective arrows or even turned them to point in the wrong direction and to make sure to follow the arrows painted on the road, I decided to sleep there and finish the next morning.
Old 06-11-13, 06:08 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
One funny one was someone made new sign markers for a century in Baltimore. They lead riders off the main course to a dead end on top of the highest hill around. A group of 30 of us just sat at the end of the road scratching our heads and everyone ignored the cue sheets.
Old 06-11-13, 06:12 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
When I do a large ride, I rarely read the map. What I do is leave later and follow everyone else. Well, I don't exactly *follow* them, I start working my way up to the front. Trouble is, the closer to the front I get, the thinner the bikes are; and eventually there's nobody in front of me to show the way. Usually when I run out of bikes to pass, it's time for a break; but once or twice, I've had to reverse course until I saw someone. I try to limit the potential damage by stopping to re-evaluate if I haven't seen another bike in 2 or 3 miles. Someday I'm going to follow the wrong cyclist, like Dnvr, but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 06-11-13, 06:47 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Cost - one phone call to wife to come and bail me out.
I think that you could surely create a better story around that line.
Old 06-11-13, 06:51 AM
Retro Grouch 

Failing to read the map on a century and following a guy I thought knew what he was doing.
That used to be my standard practice. I figured that, even if we ALL went off course, that's where the party was going to be.
Old 06-11-13, 06:52 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
That used to be my standard practice. I figured that, even if we ALL went off course, that's where the party was going to be.
We are waiting.
Old 06-11-13, 06:59 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Not me. Having worked in the technical arena for 47 years, I soon learned that reading instructions and tech papers saved me a huge amount of time. When we buy something that say "some assembly required", my wife starts to put it together and becomes stumped. All the time she is trying to put it together I am reading the instructions. Then when she gets mad, backs off and claims something is wrong, I proceed to show her how it go together. I get the grumpy statement---------you think you are so smart.
Old 06-11-13, 07:09 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
When I do a large ride, I rarely read the map. What I do is leave later and follow everyone else. Well, I don't exactly *follow* them, I start working my way up to the front. Trouble is, the closer to the front I get, the thinner the bikes are; and eventually there's nobody in front of me to show the way.
That's a problem that I've never had. During my road running days I actually had a fellow ask me at the start of a race if I knew where the route went. I told him it had never crossed my mind that I couldn't just follow the other runners.
Old 06-11-13, 07:23 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
That's a problem that I've never had. During my road running days I actually had a fellow ask me at the start of a race if I knew where the route went. I told him it had never crossed my mind that I couldn't just follow the other runners.
OK- and, of course, you always read and follow those bicycle assembly instructions?
Old 06-11-13, 07:26 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I put my life in jeopardy once with a bicycle chain because I was stupid.

When they say don't try to reuse a Shimano chain pin, there is a reason for that.
Old 06-11-13, 08:20 AM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
35+ years ago, back when I was in college at Ohio State, our cycling club sponsored a TOSRV 'warm-up' century called TGRR (The Great Reservoir Ride). Our ride was out North of Columbus, and hit the five reservoirs that provide water for the city. A few days before our ride date, we marked our route with yellow traffic paint 'Dan Henry' arrows 300' before any turns, 50' before, at the turn, and again a couple hundred feet after the turn so people could verify that they were on the right route. A printed route sheet was also given to all riders. Foolproof, right?

Well, another organized century in that area used white Dan Henry-style arrows (MOC- Mid-Ohio Century). Sure enough, one rider started following the wrong route. We got a phone call at dusk from the wayward rider and went to collect him in a town 30 miles off our course - some three hours after our sweep vehicle drove our entire route to look for stragglers. That rider was ticked off at US for him getting confused and not coming looking for him. We had over three hundred riders in that inaugural year of our club's ride, and he was the only one who got lost.
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Old 06-11-13, 08:51 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I must be some sort of aberration. I read the instructions, line up and inventory all parts, line my tools out, and do trial runs if possible, before doing any but the simplest of tasks.

Not that it helps. Things always go wrong anyway!
Old 06-11-13, 08:56 AM
Retro Grouch 

OK- and, of course, you always read and follow those bicycle assembly instructions?
No need. Whenever I have a problem that I can't figure out, I throw my 15" Crescent wrench across the room. That Three Stooges imitation puts me back in my place.
Old 06-11-13, 09:18 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
When I worked at a bike shop in the early 1970s, I lost count of the number of customers who tightened QR wheels by rotating the lever the way one would tighten a nut, rather than properly using the cam lock system that Tullio Campagnolo had invented 50 years prior. I think this led first to the curved QR handles and then to the "lawyer lips" on the front dropouts.

The worst route detour I ever encountered was on my first century ride, a double metric with a strong headwind 1/4 of the distance. (Route for those familiar with California's Bay Area: Los Altos Hills through Big Tree Basin to Santa Cruz, then north on the coast and back over the hill, connecting w/ Page Mill Rd.) My college chum, having lower gears than my cousin and I did, took off ahead of us on the long climb from the coast back toward Palo Alto CA. He got bad advice at the crest and headed up the peninsula on Skyline Dr. toward San Francisco. Fortunately, a service station owner about 20 miles up the road was getting ready to drive south toward home, and he gave him a lift back to Page Mill Rd., where he rejoined us within a couple of miles.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 06-11-13 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 01:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
One year, my buddies and I got separated on a ride. The two of them started following arrows that *looked* like the right ones, but after several miles of downhill, they ended at a dead-end dirt road. They had those same several miles of uphill to get back on the route. Some local having fun...