Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Newb

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newb

All, I just turned 50 and am getting ready to buy a bike. Have narrowed my bike choices down to 2. The trek 8.2ds and the specialized crosstrail. Need advice as to which of the two would you recommend and why . Doing mostly in town riding, occasional light trail.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-13, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
The model you are considering would be needed to do an accurate comparison. There was just another member here that purchased the crosstrail and was very pleased.

Welcome to 50+

Last edited by jdon; 06-13-13 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-13-13, 09:11 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The LBS here is a Trek dealer.. theyre nice bikes.. the DS suspension fork really adds weight.

question yourself as to why its important to you.

talk more to the dealer..

here the Specialized franchise is in a different town, ..

both are a Taiwan Contract with a bigger factory, making dozens of brand names.
Old 06-13-13, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome.

I agree with jdon, the Specialized Crosstail comes in lots of different configurations. Knowing which one makes a comparison easier. But let’s assume you’re looking at the one that lists at about the same price as the Trek. The Specialized comes with braze-ons for racks and fenders; the Trek as far as I can tell does not. For an around town bike, racks and fenders would be a must for me, and the braze-ons make that much easier to accomplish.
Old 06-13-13, 10:36 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Same dealer or different dealer?

I think there's more differences among bike dealers than there is between bike brands. Should you happen to have a warranty issue, which dealer would you rather have working for you?
Old 06-13-13, 12:41 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Read some online reviews

Start out by reading the reviews of previous owners. Ignore all the fluff put out by the manufacturers. Here's one for the Specialized Crosstrail. https://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/m...ws#readReviews Be sure you are looking at the same model (probably base if compared to the Trek model). You can find out what things break or wear out and how people have liked or disliked the bike. I see that one comment is that casual riders turned into avid riders and now wish they had bought a different type of bike. The quality of components on both bikes appears to be comparable - not the cheapest available but definitely not high-end. Specialized in particular has a lot of in-house components made just for them so it is hard to compare between the two you mention.

I guess I can be considered a weight weenie even though as a recumbent trike riders, my rides are far from the uber-light road bikes I see around me as I ride. That said, the less a bike weighs, the better for you.

While you are at it, see if the bike shops have any higher-end used bikes that fit you OK and are within your price range. I'd much rather buy a gently used high quality bike than a mediocre middle of the pack new one. This past weekend I was riding a 20 year old Balance 450 MTB that I purchased used for $450 way back when. Other than normal maintenance, the only thing I have done to the bike is to replace tires. The higher end components work as well today as when the bike was new.
Old 06-13-13, 02:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Look at your future use. If it is going to be on road or fairly smooth trails- Then you will not need suspension in any form. That includes a suspension seat post aswell. In fact at the price you are looking at- The suspension will be a gimic that you will curse after a short while.

Then the next thing to do is test ride the two bikes. One will appeal more than the other but also try a bike that is just above your price range. The difference could surprise you.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-13-13, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
stapfam is correct about the gimmick nature of suspension forks on these bikes. They are really nothing more than a feature/benefit add on to sell a bike to those who don't know better. Don't expect much from them in the way of performance, function, and durability.
Old 06-14-13, 10:45 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I also think mount points for a rear rack are a good idea. Since I put a rack on my bike I find I'm riding all over town for all sorts of reasons - Library, post office, shopping and I can still just go for a ride.
Old 06-14-13, 11:09 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A few thoughts....

OP is 50, and "getting ready to buy a bike", sounds like a new rider. Folks here are just rolling with their own experiences, and forgetting the simple fact that THEY are not the OP.

No suspension needed? How do you know? Most 50-y-o's who are not seasoned riders are less likely to have built up the "toughness" in their joints to take what WILL BE some pounding -- especially on 'light trails' (forget about that part?). And REALLY, the weight difference will be about 2 pounds or so with those forks, NOT anything that will ruin a ride for a newbie. Gimmick? For you, maybe, but maybe not for someone else.

As far as one of these bikes making casual riders into avid riders who wish they'd have bought a different bike...these are riders who need to learn how to SELL a bike they've "outgrown". And truthfully, that's likely ONE motive for making these bikes the way they do, to arouse the passion for riding; if it wasn't, then casual riders could TRULY be better served with $250 big-box crap.

Yes, OP needs to test-ride a few bikes, starting with his choices; he can also pick a rigid or two if he wants. But since it's HIS ride experience, WE need to keep that more in mind than just saying, "This is my experience, so it will also be yours."

I DO concur with the idea of having the braze-ons; that can expand the utility of the bike, and if it costs no more,............!
Old 06-14-13, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"Gimmick? For you, maybe, but maybe not for someone else." I suggest you test ride one sometime. Great for around the block, other than that they are an ill conceived joke on the purchaser. Stand up and pedal a steep hill. After year 2 he will be asking why the front end clunks when he uses the front brake. I can go on about maintenance...

However, your point is valid, and yes, the spring forks work well for many. Most likely because they don't ride enough to experience the full spectrum of the fork.
Old 06-14-13, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Gimmick? For you, maybe, but maybe not for someone else." I suggest you test ride one sometime. Great for around the block, other than that they are an ill conceived joke on the purchaser. Stand up and pedal a steep hill. After year 2 he will be asking why the front end clunks when he uses the front brake. I can go on about maintenance...

However, your point is valid, and yes, the spring forks work well for many. Most likely because they don't ride enough to experience the full spectrum of the fork.
Not that there is anything wrong with that. The purpose of this forum is age based so we draw a lot of different ambitions as far a riding goes. Not everyone here, more likely few here, are hard core roadies.
Old 06-14-13, 05:51 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Welcome

I feel you should buy an older JApanese steel bike from Craigslist and put some time and miles in.
You cant really go too far wrong with these bikes for a start. When you get more miles and experience, and come to your "style", you will have better understanding of what will fit you and your terrain and where you are going with your riding. New bikes are totally awesome, but I would wait a while. I/we would hate to see you enter this great new phase of your lifestyle possibly suffering an expensive regret a year or so later.

Best wishes on whatever you decide
Old 06-14-13, 06:11 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The purpose of your first bike is to teach you what you want and need in your second bike.

The two bikes--bike path hybrids--you've chosen are essentially similar. The similarities are far, far greater than the differences. The advice to choose between them based upon the dealer is probably the best you'll receive.

For the occasional casual cyclist, the bike path hybrid is nearly perfect. That's not to say it isn't without its faults, as some have outlined above. And it's by no means the ultimate bike. But for the returning cyclist, the benefits far outweigh the faults.

Bike path hybrids are pretty much the default choice of bike salespeople when encountering returning riders in the 50+ range. They look different enough from what we rode in our youth that memories of how a bike rides goes out the window. Although on the low-end, they have enough whiz-bang to impress and perhaps overwhelm the purchaser. Finally, they're inexpensive enough that most buyers are willing to take the chance on them.

On the other side, as a buyer, a bike path hybrid is a good choice because it can be a jack of all trades. Returning cyclists can't know what sort of cyclist they'll turn into over time. A bike path hybrid may be all you'll ever need, or it may inform your choice for your second bike. Either way, that's not a bad thing at a relative bargain price.

My first bike as a returning cyclist was a bike path hybrid. As wrong as it was for the cyclist I turned out to be, it was the perfect choice to get me back on two wheels. What it did was give me a platform that was familiar and forgiving enough that I could re-learn cycling and make mistakes along the way without huge consequences.

As I learned what it was that I really wanted out of cycling, I was able to inexpensively accessorize and modify the bike in the direction I was heading. The following year, it let me buy my second bike with complete confidence, which in turn led me to my third bike a few months later, which six years later remains the one bike I'd keep if forced to sell all the rest.

So remember, the purpose of your first bike is to teach you what you want and need in your second bike. For that purpose, a bike path hybrid is a pretty good deal.
Old 06-14-13, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would add that you also try a road bike just to get a well rounded view of different bikes.
Old 06-14-13, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I would agree with pretty much all of the above comments. Its hard to go wrong with the first bike. My sister turned 50 last year and bought the Crosstrail, sorry dont know which model, but basically an all-rounder with suspension fork and disc brakes. Her goal for her first year was to ride from the 49th to the 50th Parallel in celebration of turning 50. It took her all summer, but she did it! A few kilometers at a time each week. The Crosstrail turned out to be a great first bike for her to get into cycling.
Old 06-15-13, 12:31 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero

Cheap suspension does not work. Yes the forks go up and down but that is about all. At best they are like a Po-Go stick but they take effort you have put into pedaling away from forward momentum. Mostly the cheap construction will cause the forks to twist and they will not last very long before they start to fail. Suspension forks still cost money that is within the budget of the bike but "Rigid" forks lower the cost of the bike or mean that a better quality bike can be bought for the same cost.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-15-13, 07:23 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I'll second the uselessness of suspension on a road bike, the energy that is transmitted to the forks motion is taken from forward motion. They add weight where it makes handling worse for an otherwise light bike. My wife is looking for a conventional fork to replace the set up on her Trek 7300 because of the excessive weight that she notices when she rides.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-15-13, 09:46 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Just to pound the issue into the ground: in my mountain biking days I removed and dissembled a Rockshox Judy and was amazed at what a piece of crap it was. One spring in a hollow cyclinder. Ick. That's what you'll probably get with an entry level fork. You'd get the same effect on the road with a carbon fork and a friendly set of tiyers.

Old 06-15-13, 01:35 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
The purpose of your first bike is to teach you what you want and need in your second bike.

The two bikes--bike path hybrids--you've chosen are essentially similar. The similarities are far, far greater than the differences. The advice to choose between them based upon the dealer is probably the best you'll receive.

For the occasional casual cyclist, the bike path hybrid is nearly perfect. That's not to say it isn't without its faults, as some have outlined above. And it's by no means the ultimate bike. But for the returning cyclist, the benefits far outweigh the faults.

Bike path hybrids are pretty much the default choice of bike salespeople when encountering returning riders in the 50+ range. They look different enough from what we rode in our youth that memories of how a bike rides goes out the window. Although on the low-end, they have enough whiz-bang to impress and perhaps overwhelm the purchaser. Finally, they're inexpensive enough that most buyers are willing to take the chance on them.

On the other side, as a buyer, a bike path hybrid is a good choice because it can be a jack of all trades. Returning cyclists can't know what sort of cyclist they'll turn into over time. A bike path hybrid may be all you'll ever need, or it may inform your choice for your second bike. Either way, that's not a bad thing at a relative bargain price.

My first bike as a returning cyclist was a bike path hybrid. As wrong as it was for the cyclist I turned out to be, it was the perfect choice to get me back on two wheels. What it did was give me a platform that was familiar and forgiving enough that I could re-learn cycling and make mistakes along the way without huge consequences.

As I learned what it was that I really wanted out of cycling, I was able to inexpensively accessorize and modify the bike in the direction I was heading. The following year, it let me buy my second bike with complete confidence, which in turn led me to my third bike a few months later, which six years later remains the one bike I'd keep if forced to sell all the rest.

So remember, the purpose of your first bike is to teach you what you want and need in your second bike. For that purpose, a bike path hybrid is a pretty good deal.
Mister, Your post is Nirvana, I vote, 'Sticky'

FYI, My Wife holds a Masters In Library science, works in one also, smart like you,,,,,,, I'll never figure out what she see's in me.
Old 06-15-13, 09:52 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Suspension. Bah. It does virtually nothing on a road. Riding dirt with pot holes and rocks and such? Fine. Get the suspension. But if you're going to be riding on a road, don't bother with a suspension. Even if you do 10-20% where a suspension might be nice, if 80% of your riding is road riding, forget the suspension. Otherwise and regardless, congrats.
Old 06-16-13, 09:18 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Cheap suspension does not work. Yes the forks go up and down but that is about all. At best they are like a Po-Go stick but they take effort you have put into pedaling away from forward momentum. Mostly the cheap construction will cause the forks to twist and they will not last very long before they start to fail. Suspension forks still cost money that is within the budget of the bike but "Rigid" forks lower the cost of the bike or mean that a better quality bike can be bought for the same cost.
I won't disagree with your comments, except as follows. A friend bought a bike this spring, Rove XR, with front suspension. She hasn't ridden a bike in 20 years and as a result of a car accident several years ago continues to deal with neck pain. The front suspension, regardless whether it works or not, their longevity, etc etc, was a key component for her to consider cycling for fitness. She been riding an hour and a half three times a week and is really enjoying the experience. If a front suspension is what it takes for someone to enjoy cycling, even if entirely on the road, that's a good enough reason for me to encourage someone to buy a road bike with suspension.
Old 06-16-13, 11:48 PM

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
...and on and on it goes, with many of the same opponents to suspension forks always rising to the cause to express how horrible they are. The OP simply asked for some advice on two bikes he's considering, and once again it becomes a bash fest against suspension forks. I may be the member mentioned by 'jdon' when he referred to someone recently purchasing a Crosstrail, I've had it for several weeks and love it, today my wife and I went on a 23km ride on a local rails to trails bike trail that is a combination of country roads, bike paths, crushed granite paths, dirt paths with tree roots, bumps and holes - not to mention looking out for all the horse residue - and some residential streets. The only time I locked out the front shock was on the residential streets, the rest of the time it did its job of cushioning my wrists and arms from too much jarring - I've recently recovered from carpal tunnel difficulties as i work on computers for a living. So I think those who hate them so much need to remember that is their opinion and others are entitled as well to how they feel about the positive aspects of front suspension...
...regarding other aspects of my new Crosstrail, the bike handles great, is pretty light, shifters work perfectly, tires seem well suited for the task, the disc brakes on mine, the Sport Disc model, are very powerful, so much so that until you learn how to modulate them they're powerful enough to lock up the wheels - best to use the rears more than the fronts anyway. I can certainly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a good multi-purpose bike, and, if you wish to go with a bike that doesn't have a front shock, both Trek and Specialized have bikes that offer almost all the same frame geometry and component setup as the two you've mentioned. I can also strongly agree that one of the most important things about buying a new bike is not just shopping for the bike but also shopping for the store, you want to have a good working relationship with a good LBS...