Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lyme disease

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Lyme disease

Old 06-13-13, 10:11 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lyme disease

Rode a hard hilly 40 last Thursday and felt way too worn out the next day. By Saturday, thought I had the flu. Slept most of next two days which was helpful since it relieved me from the major head and body ache. Got lucky and spotted the bulls eye rash. I went to urgent care and got the meds.

I caught it very early and I'm hoping for a full recovery though I've read that there is still a chance it can be with me for life, even with early treatment

I have a week long wristband for RAGBRAI, the cross Iowa ride, which starts on July 21. I'm not too concerned about missed training, if I'm back to full strength by then. At 66 everything take noticeably longer to recover from, as all us geezers know

Please inspect very carefully for the little sobs if you're in deer tick country. My partner and I are outdoorsy types and diligent about it, yet still missed this one.
Old 06-13-13, 10:45 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow bad news I hope you recover soon.

Charlie
Old 06-13-13, 10:50 AM
FatherAlabaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably shouldn't be posting on 50+ since I'm in my 30s, but I've had Lyme since I was seven. For a little while I couldn't walk. I was told it would be with me for life, even though they gave me antibiotics. Not sure if it's part of the problems that I have with my joints, but I'm mostly fine, 26 years later! I'm not supposed to give blood or donate organs, but I honestly don't even know if those spirochetes are still there. Treatment has come a ways since I was bitten, and I think - and hope - that you'll be fine. Good luck, feel better! Sorry if intruding.
Old 06-13-13, 11:38 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Ver interesting article in the WSJ in the last day or two, BTW, about the peculiar beef allergy that develops from Lone Star tick bites. Whoever put it together was brilliant. Just another reason to hate those critters, not that I've ever liked them in the first place.
Old 06-13-13, 12:27 PM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Ver interesting article in the WSJ in the last day or two, BTW, about the peculiar beef allergy that develops from Lone Star tick bites. Whoever put it together was brilliant. Just another reason to hate those critters, not that I've ever liked them in the first place.
As a low carb guy, that affliction would be far worse then plain ol' Lyme :-)
Old 06-13-13, 12:59 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Deer ticks can be very easy to miss, especially in hairy areas.

Humans think they are the top of creation, but really, all we are is food for the ticks, fleas, lice, mosquitoes, bedbugs, and worms... and real-estate for untold numbers of bacteria.
Old 06-13-13, 07:43 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Vitus Aluminum, DiamondBack Apex, Softride Powerwing 700, "Generic" Ishiwata 022, Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good that you caught it early. My brother had Lyme disease two years ago. His neurological symptoms indicated that he probably had it for a while but had been asymptomatic so he was put on IV antibiotics for 14 days. From what I can recall, he was affected for quite a while - reduced activity for most of that summer and no alcohol, either Get better quick and good riding at RAGBRAI!
Old 06-14-13, 10:39 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 296 Posts
I can home from a ride last summer and discovered a tick under a sock but it was not attached and no bulls eye mark appeared. I went to REI the very next day and got a spray bottle of Permethrin. Now I spray socks after 4 or 5 washings. I also check legs after every toilet break in the woods.
Old 06-14-13, 02:16 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FatherAlabaster View Post
I probably shouldn't be posting on 50+ since I'm in my 30s, but I've had Lyme since I was seven. For a little while I couldn't walk. I was told it would be with me for life, even though they gave me antibiotics. Not sure if it's part of the problems that I have with my joints, but I'm mostly fine, 26 years later! I'm not supposed to give blood or donate organs, but I honestly don't even know if those spirochetes are still there. Treatment has come a ways since I was bitten, and I think - and hope - that you'll be fine. Good luck, feel better! Sorry if intruding.
My oldest daughter had chronic lyme disease and it ruined about 10 years of her life starting at the beginning of high school. She is doing OK now in her mid-30's and has a couple of kids. Best of luck to you and lenA.
Old 06-14-13, 06:10 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I caught it very early and I'm hoping for a full recovery though I've read that there is still a chance it can be with me for life, even with early treatment
The odds are strongly in your favor. My mother contracted Lyme Disease in her late 70's, but she was very lucky and caught it early. (She spotted the telltale bullseye rash as soon as it appeared.) Her doctor placed her on the normal course of antibiotics, and it completely cleared her of the disease. I am hoping you enjoy the same outcome.
Old 06-14-13, 07:37 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lenA View Post
Please inspect very carefully for the little sobs if you're in deer tick country. My partner and I are outdoorsy types and diligent about it, yet still missed this one.
Where was it?
Old 06-14-13, 07:40 PM
FatherAlabaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Where was it?
Given ticks' proclivities, there are a couple of potentially personal ways that question could be taken...
Old 06-15-13, 03:56 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
Deer ticks can be very easy to miss, especially in hairy areas.

Humans think they are the top of creation, but really, all we are is food for the ticks, fleas, lice, mosquitoes, bedbugs, and worms... and real-estate for untold numbers of bacteria.
Or as someone once said: "If all the insects disappeared, life on Earth would end but if all the humans disappeared life would flourish."
Old 06-15-13, 03:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 520 Posts
Had Lyme once about 15 yrs. ago. Went to the Doc early on and got the meds. Never had a problems since. Feeling very fortunate.
Old 06-15-13, 04:54 AM
Frankfast

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Had Lyme once about 15 yrs. ago. Went to the Doc early on and got the meds. Never had a problems since. Feeling very fortunate.
My tick bite was pretty obvious being perfectly round and about the size of a silver dollar. I took antibiotics right away and didn't seem to suffer any ill effects although I blame that little bugger every time my joints are sore.