Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wildlife on Rides

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wildlife on Rides

Old 06-21-13, 10:06 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I got my helmet pecked on for an extended period of time by a nest-defending redwing blackbird today, on my morning exercise ride. I also spotted one chipmunk near the Piasa Bird in Alton, sitting there staring at the cliff of the bluff.

A nice break from my usual fare of squirrels, pelicans, egrets, geese and wild turkeys. My most entertaining wildlife encounter while bicycling was that turkey buzzard that landed on the railing of the observation... tower?... in West Alton, just three feet away from me. He just sat there and looked at me, till I told him "good morning". The coyote wiping his butt in the grass of my back yard doesn't count, since I wasn't on my bike at the time...

Edit: Oh, and Biker? That pic looks like it came straight out of the Roaring '20s!
Old 06-21-13, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by USMCRet
Sorority girls

Got some of those around me as well since I live right close to a school.

Deer, raccoons, squirrels(too darn many IMHO), rabbits, red-tailed Hawks, and some others.
Old 06-21-13, 12:31 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
The typical snakes, iguanas, gopher tortoise, deer, raccoon, belly up armadillo, suicidal squirrels and bunny rabbits, seriously wild drivers; however, beyond a doubt, the two coolest were a Bald Eagle just looking at me with those huge eyes and its talons caressing a kill as I slowly bicycled by at a distance of 20' and a Florida Bobcat watching me go by no more than 8' away.
Old 06-21-13, 03:08 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Stuff like this. Really.

A hoopy frood always knows where her towel is.
Old 06-21-13, 03:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Distinct lack of sorority girls around here; but we make up for it in coyotes, lynx, bobcats, black bears (I've heard there is a grizzly on one of the trails I often ride but haven't seen him yet), moose, deer and the ubiquitous marmots. I've had road races with hawks and coyotes and deer and I've watched eagles hunt the marmots by flying below the road barriers and suddenly popping up over them. We have lots of cougars but I've never seen one from a bike. The deer are getting a bit pushy and often seem to hop out on the road quite close and concern me a bit with the risk of a collision. Our snakes are pretty small compared to people further south but on rare occasions we'll see a bull snake up to a yard long. Our black bears are pretty well behaved although my wife spooked me by riding right up to one the other day (thought I might have to do the white knight routine!); and we do have a sow with 2 young cubs living in the woods just below us.
Old 06-21-13, 03:51 PM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro - Ultegra Drive train - Dura Ave 7900 C24 TLs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
Waterfowl (ducks, geese, herons, egrets, gulls, pelicans), other avians (raptors, buzzards, jays, crows, sparrows, finches), squirrels, chipmunks, coyotes (in Coyote Creek, no less!).
Sounds like we ride the same bike paths.
I have seen Sea Turtles near the power plant In Seal Beach on the San Gabriel River trail, and I have also seen a Sea Lion in the river channel , I don't believe it was a Seal.
And I have seen Eagles in Eldorado Park. Haven't seen one but I know there are skunks around
Old 06-21-13, 04:04 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crosstail, 2013 Motobecane Cafe Century Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw a couple of snakes and tarantulas, some long horn steers and a few buffalo on yesterdays ride.
Old 06-21-13, 06:59 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Roadie
Sounds like we ride the same bike paths.
I have seen Sea Turtles near the power plant In Seal Beach on the San Gabriel River trail, and I have also seen a Sea Lion in the river channel , I don't believe it was a Seal.
And I have seen Eagles in Eldorado Park. Haven't seen one but I know there are skunks around
Seems we do ride the same paths at times! Rabbits just outside the north end of the corrals (actually in the park) at Carson. Flat raccoon on a ride I once took out Imperial from the airport Green Line station out to the beach and south. Raccoons and skunks competing with the feral cats a co-worker insists upon feeding (to her credit, she also helped capture and sterilize the feral cats), but that is near work and shouldn't really count. And sea lions (funny how "Seal Beach" should actually be "Sea Lion Beach"!) in the San Gabriel River.
Old 06-21-13, 07:17 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm pretty sure this thread is why this has been stuck in my head all day.

Old 06-21-13, 08:02 PM

Bikes: 1979 schwinn varsity

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ospreys, bald eagles, blue herons, ducks, geese, deer, red fox, goats, bison, emu, donkeys, squirrels, dolphin, feral cats, and dogs. And kingfishers and red tailed hawks. And raccoons and possums.
Old 06-22-13, 05:14 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
My daily rides are in a wilderness park. Any wildlife that lives in the woods, here in Florida, you can see at this park at some point in time. The other day, there was a 4 foot gator along the side of the paved path next to one of the marshes. No one bothers with them and they really haven't bothered anyone in the park in the three years I've been riding there.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-23-13, 05:21 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 236 Posts
Last year I saw an extremely rare (for this area) Coachwhip snake.
Old 06-25-13, 09:54 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Roadrunner this morning. Fumbled to get my phone out and managed to get a great shot of sidewalk
Old 06-25-13, 10:23 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
The Madison County Illinois Schoolhouse Trail between Horseshoe Lake State Park and Hwy 203 is only about 5 miles long but teeming with wildlife. There's a bald eagle nest visible from the trail (just about a quarter mile east of the RR tracks towards the south); deer, wild turkeys, ducks, geese, turtles, snakes, and the occasional fox and coyote.

The eagle nest is a little hard to find this time of year as it's covered with leaves. If you go by it in the winter, then it's easy to spot.

Last edited by JerrySTL; 06-25-13 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 10:51 AM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm on the right forum area as my eyes deceive me. I thought it read "Wildfire on Rides"... pffft

As for Wildlife, lately mostly several dead ravens and a raccoon. I was nearly struck by an errant hummingbird yesterday and had a bee strike my forehead. Oh and plenty of young thangs around UCSD
Old 06-25-13, 12:48 PM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Popeyecahn
I guess I'm on the right forum area as my eyes deceive me. I thought it read "Wildfire on Rides"... pffft
Sadly, I had the same misreading. Perhaps because this morning it was too close to the thread entitled, "Lightning." Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I did ride close to a wildfire a few weeks back. The wildfire caused most lanes of a freeway to be shut down, and my normally peaceful route was being used as an alternate by a lot of drivers. Going up a steep 3/4 mile stretch that usually has zero cars in either direction I counted 157 cars pass me.

As for wildlife, the most interesting encounters are always the ones with wildlife in the road.

The deer that wanted to head straight for me. How long do I play a game of chicken with him? The antlers aren't THAT big, but just being knocked off my bike doesn't seem fun. Eventually, I put my feet down and then won the staring contest, he headed back into the woods.

I saw a jogger on the MUP, I thought the dog was with him. He kept going while the dog stayed behind and didn't follow him. On closer inspection, the "dog" was a coyote who headed into the tall grass alongside the MUP as I approached.

I don't really like the squirrels, the chipmunks, and the bunnies who want to cross the road right in front of me. Cars and nasty pacelines aren't as scary to me as the experience of going down a steep grade when there are small animals nearby that are either crossing the road or threatening to cross the road.

This past Memorial Day, I was doing a lengthy downhill on a road that is sometimes steep, sometimes gentle, and there were too many small animals crossing. Coming around a curve, there was something that was just getting across the road. I thought, "That looked like a really big squirrel." In passing by the near vertical 10 feet or so of hillside cut out for the road, I saw the bobcat sort of clinging to the side. I locked eyes with it as I passed, me giving it a look that said, "maybe if I had a better look I would have realized you were too big to be a squirrel" and it giving me look that said, "nothing to see here, move along". I appreciated him more than the last bobcat I had seen in the road, who didn't want to budge as I was coming down a somewhat steep grade towards it, but finally moved into the trees as I got close.

The wildlife off the road I mostly have to stop to really appreciate. I went on an MUP in Massachusetts with a friend four years back. Boy, it was a slow ride, because my friend had to make frequent stops for us to birdwatch.

And then there is the aspect of cycling that I discovered 30 years ago or so. Man, do you get a much better look at roadkill from a bike than from a car. One thing I don't really need in life is better looks at roadkill. It is, however, a price to be paid for cycling.
Old 06-25-13, 01:10 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw a very pretty though very dead copperhead on my ride this morning. It had been run over by a car it seemed. Sorry to see that.
Old 06-25-13, 01:27 PM

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Recently Canada Geese and Mallards in a pond along the MUP.
During winter rides on the MUP, along a frozen North Saskatchewan River, Deer on multiple occasions and 2 Red Fox.

Much wilder are the skateboarders & bmx riders that that spill off their park adjacent to the MUP.
Old 06-28-13, 02:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a whitetil doe racing me from the other side of a fence. I was hoping she would not leap out in front of me. Also a few buzzards overhead, which prompted me to tell my riding partner maybe we should PICK UP the cadence. He got me back later with a short joke.
Old 06-28-13, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Riding back roads in northern Utah came upon a standoff in the middle of the road between a large dog and a big doe.
Dog kept circling doe, she just turned and kept facing hbim.
Then she spotted us on our tandem and took off into a field.
Old 07-01-13, 03:19 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Today 2 blue heron, and several cormorants.
Old 07-01-13, 03:22 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Coyotes, Big Horn sheep, rabbits, lizards and other desert stuff.

I was on a Century ride once and saw a Bikini Photo shoot going on just off the road against a Joshua Tree setting. That was "wild!"

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-01-13, 07:03 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I see several turtles on most rides, snakes (mostly black snakes), saw a deer once, hawks, egrets, saw a pair of eagles last year, horses (not wild), and goats (not wild).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0320.jpg (9.2 KB, 10 views)
DSCN0328.jpg (10.3 KB, 9 views)
IMG_0039.jpg (11.0 KB, 10 views)
IMG_0273.jpg (10.5 KB, 9 views)

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-01-13, 07:20 PM
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I commonly see deer, woodchucks, turtles, red-tails, the usual. Last week I got a really good look at a turkey vulture, who didn't fly away from the road kill that it was making a meal of. I gave it room and didn't threaten, just cruised by, and was rewarded with a close-up look at an amazing creature.
Old 07-02-13, 11:50 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Pelicans, great blue herons, egrets, osprey, bald eagle, alligator, snake, wood stork, Canada geese, vultures, sandhill cranes, armadillo, dolphins, manatee, tortoise (not turtle), cows, horses, bobcat, deer, roseate spoonbills, ibis, gulls, skimmers, and on and on......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.