Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   1st Ride After Double Total Knee Replacement (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/899520-1st-ride-after-double-total-knee-replacement.html)

XCSKIBUM 07-04-13 08:11 AM

1st Ride After Double Total Knee Replacement

In 2010 & 2011 I rode a total of just over 5000 miles. I lost 90# & felt great.

Last year I suffered from moderate depression & I didn't get on the bike as much as I should have. By late summer both knees stiffened up. It got so bad that I couldn't even stay on my feet for any length of time W/O suffering severe pain for several days afterward.

I had the right knee replaced in early December & the left @ the end of March.

Yesterday my wife & I went out & did a 10 mile road loop on our hybrid bikes. We stopped for coffee so I could rest @ about 6 miles along the way, but over all I did quite well.

Banded Krait 07-04-13 08:36 AM

I am happy to hear that you got back in the saddle, XCSKIBUM. Slow and steady does it--build up gradually. I hope you have many pain-free miles ahead of you.

Ursa Minor 07-04-13 10:22 AM

Your story gives me hope; I think im facing some replacements (hip or knee) in the future.

Charlie

qcpmsame 07-04-13 10:35 AM

That is great to hear, glad that you had a nice ride and took it easy. As said above, slow and easy for now, just spin some and enjoy the fresh air and exercise. The return to riding after being laid up from surgery is a great feeling. I'll look forward to more reports of rides and recovery.

Bill

mht7159 07-04-13 12:18 PM

That's great to hear Xcskibum after two major surgeries like that it must have been nice to get out on the road again. Hope your recovery continues to go well.

XCSKIBUM 07-12-13 08:26 PM

I did the same 10 mile loop today.I stopped @ a little store in Brasher falls & had a "baby" size soft serve icecream cone @ 3.2 miles.

I did another 3 miles & stopped to talk to an aquaintance, then rode the final 3.5 miles home.

I think tomorrow morning I might try a few more miles depending on how I feel.

OldTryGuy 07-13-13 03:06 AM

Nice and easy does it and enjoy every new mile along the way.

Planemaker 07-13-13 03:22 AM

Thanks for keeping us updated. Like others, I am looking at knee replacement surgery in the not distance future. Dr. said there was not much he could do and that I should hold off a long as possible before having the surgery but, when the pain gets to the point where I can't stand it the knee will need to be replaced.

For now riding a bike seems to help.

Hopefully, for those of us who face this surgery in the future, you will keep us updated on journey back.

groth 07-13-13 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM (Post 15814158)
In 2010 & 2011 I rode a total of just over 5000 miles. I lost 90# & felt great.

Last year I suffered from moderate depression & I didn't get on the bike as much as I should have. By late summer both knees stiffened up. It got so bad that I couldn't even stay on my feet for any length of time W/O suffering severe pain for several days afterward.

I had the right knee replaced in early December & the left @ the end of March.

Yesterday my wife & I went out & did a 10 mile road loop on our hybrid bikes. We stopped for coffee so I could rest @ about 6 miles along the way, but over all I did quite well.

Congratulations on your progress! I had my right knee replaced in January, 2012. Really glad I did! Still not as fast as I was 5 years ago, but doing just as well on the hills. When I re-started riding, I started with flat routes. Then routes with one hill in them until I had done all the local hills one at a time. Then routes with several hills. Last year I was sore after riding, and generally iced the knee. This year, I haven't felt any soreness and no ice is required. In addition to cycling, I keep up with the range of motion exercises. Probably by next year, sore knees will be a thing of the past for you!

- Ed

DnvrFox 07-13-13 07:07 AM

My wife rides with two total knee replacements and does just fine at 75yo.

I'm glad you are back in the saddle!!

zjrog 07-13-13 10:02 AM

Congrats. My first ride after left knee replacement is still a highpoint in my memory bank!

ModeratedUser150120149 07-13-13 10:32 AM

Good On You!

Bill Kapaun 07-13-13 10:41 AM

Great!!!
Any pain/problems from the knees?

XCSKIBUM 07-13-13 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun (Post 15846724)
Great!!!
Any pain/problems from the knees?

Some moderate pain in the left knee this morning.

I'm having issues W/the left knee due to a badly deformed left ankle & bunion. The ankle has been that way since my teens & probably contriuted to the left knee being far worse than the right as well as the severe bunion. I injured the right knee 14 years ago playing softball. Arthroscopic surgury to repair a torn miniscus fixed the right knee for many years.

The left was another story, gradual deterioration over a lifetime. Now that the knee is tight & straight, it is putting a strain on my ankle & vica versa. Fortunately, riding does not aggravate the ankle a much as walking or spending a lot of time on my feet.

I'm forgoing today's ride to work in my vegetable garden. This constant rain hs allowed the weeds to get ahead of me.

zjrog 07-15-13 07:13 AM

One thing I found after my left knee replacement was, I had been compensating for the deterioration. I was bone on bone wearing grooves. After getting through the initial recovery and physical therapy, I injured my other knee's MCL. Then an old heel spur raised its head, requiring a boot for 6 weeks on the same leg as the TKR... Interesting and fun. NOT! Then of ocurse, some ankle strain in both ankles. But if I hadn't had the replacement, I never would have been on the bike and wouldn't have crashed...

Good luck, don't rush things. You are already ahead of the game!

vacycler 07-15-13 07:59 AM

Hello, new to this forum but have found it very informative. I have had both knee's replaced.. the right one 5 years ago and the left 4 years ago. Cycling is a great excercise for post knee replacement. Having them replaced did not slow down or hamper my riding one bit. I continue to ride my road bike thousands of miles a year as well has mountain bike. The most important thing after you have your replacement surgery is to get active. By active I mean get up and start moving right away. Do all your physical therapy no matter how much it hurts (and it does hurt , not going to lie). But it is so so important to not let the scar tissue tighten and restrict you range of motion. The more you stretch and preform the recomended excercises post operation the better your quality of motion going forward.

metalheart44 07-15-13 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by vacycler (Post 15852356)
Hello, new to this forum but have found it very informative. I have had both knee's replaced.. the right one 5 years ago and the left 4 years ago. Cycling is a great excercise for post knee replacement. Having them replaced did not slow down or hamper my riding one bit. I continue to ride my road bike thousands of miles a year as well has mountain bike. The most important thing after you have your replacement surgery is to get active. By active I mean get up and start moving right away. Do all your physical therapy no matter how much it hurts (and it does hurt , not going to lie). But it is so so important to not let the scar tissue tighten and restrict you range of motion. The more you stretch and preform the recomended excercises post operation the better your quality of motion going forward.

I am curious about what your knee doc says about the duration and intensity of cycling you "should" do as opposed to how much you actually cycle. I am postponing replacement mostly because my knee doc is suggesting that artificial knee are not built for a high level of activity. Anyway, since you are a few years out and cycle high miles, your experience is a contribution to what happens longer term post knee replacement.

XCSKIBUM 07-15-13 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by metalheart44 (Post 15852469)
I am curious about what your knee doc says about the duration and intensity of cycling you "should" do as opposed to how much you actually cycle. I am postponing replacement mostly because my knee doc is suggesting that artificial knee are not built for a high level of activity. Anyway, since you are a few years out and cycle high miles, your experience is a contribution to what happens longer term post knee replacement.

Cycling is not hard on knee replacements. My doctor did advise against skiing though. Severe side loading is to be avoided. I'm still plannong of XC skiing come Janaury if my ankle surgery permits.

UPDATE:

I put in over 8 hours in the garden on Saturday some of that time behind my 8HP front tined tiller. I got quite the workout.

Sunday morning my wife & I spent 2 hours erecting bean poles on 100 row feet of beans. By Sunday evening, after a trip to a local beach, I could hardly walk. Most of the discomfort was in my ankle.

I got up this morning feeling pretty good. I did the 9.7 mile loop non stop! I think I'll do a 13 mile loop in the morning that includes some dirt roads & a few miles of abandoned railroad grade.

vacycler 07-15-13 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by metalheart44 (Post 15852469)

I am not sure what your doc's definition of high activity is. Due to insurance reasons I had a different Ortho doc for each knee. I was hesitant at first also because I did not want to give up cycling. My first doc specializes in sports injuries and when asked he told me that cycling is good for replacment knees and will not damage. Both doc's cautioned against high impact activity, ie: basketball, football, volleyball, softball, running, anything that causes your knees to absorb shock from impact with the ground. "high impact" activity will negatively effect the life of the replacement knee. I tend to err on the side of caution. Since I do put in alot of miles both on and off road I go in for "well" checks once a year. Each time the doc tells me the knees look good no issues and that I really don't need to come in unless I am feeling pain or knee seems out of place. If possible to relieve your hesitation prehaps you good get the opinion of a 2nd doc in your area. Once you have the operation you will not regret it. As i mentioned in my first post, the thing that will give you the greatest success with the replacement is your post operation activity. Both my doc's had physical therapy start in the hospital mere hours after the operation.

digibud 07-15-13 11:28 AM

congrats. A good friend had both knees replace three years ago by the best surgeons in the Seattle area and has had nothing but constant pain and suffering since. I'm glad to hear your story is more positive. I will not do that operation until I'm desperate.

zjrog 07-15-13 09:39 PM

I spend all day on my feet and the knee is no longer an issue. Its awesome. MetalHeart, find a new surgeon. Someone that does LOTS of knees, not just a few a year. A sports ortho is a good start, someone that will do what he can to get you moving. My surgeon has the attitude, "If it hurts, stop, if it doesn't, enjoy!" He also said no skiing, and limited tennis. I don't ski, and don't play tennis. Before my crash and breaking my back, I was playing racquetball and running. While I'm lucky to be walking, I want to run but doubt I will.

Waiting isn't always a good thing. I won't hesitate to replace the other knee when its time. And I won't wait near as long as I did for the first one. Digibud, you are the only one that decide where quality of life and living in pain crossover. I'd certainly search for a different doc than your friend used. Also, not doing the prescribed therapy can be an issue as well. Your friend might need a revision, seek a surgeon with experience doing knee revisions.I personally know 5 knee replacement patients. Different ages and reasons, but all doing good. Including the little old lady across the street from me.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...getyasmall.jpg
I jumped off the ATV 7 months after replacement. JUST to see how it felt. No swelling, no pain. Two months later I crashed on my bicycle and spent months recovering. But the knee was fantastic!

And since Range of Motion (ROM) was mentioned, I am quite curious what implant you guys have and how much ROM you have... *IF* the OP doesn't mind... Mine, Stryker Triathlon, 141* (designed for 150)

metalheart44 07-15-13 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 15855183)
I spend all day on my feet and the knee is no longer an issue. Its awesome. MetalHeart, find a new surgeon. Someone that does LOTS of knees, not just a few a year. A sports ortho is a good start, someone that will do what he can to get you moving. My surgeon has the attitude, "If it hurts, stop, if it doesn't, enjoy!" He also said no skiing, and limited tennis. I don't ski, and don't play tennis. Before my crash and breaking my back, I was playing racquetball and running. While I'm lucky to be walking, I want to run but doubt I will.

Waiting isn't always a good thing. I won't hesitate to replace the other knee when its time. And I won't wait near as long as I did for the first one. Digibud, you are the only one that decide where quality of life and living in pain crossover. I'd certainly search for a different doc than your friend used. Also, not doing the prescribed therapy can be an issue as well. Your friend might need a revision, seek a surgeon with experience doing knee revisions.I personally know 5 knee replacement patients. Different ages and reasons, but all doing good. Including the little old lady across the street from me.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...getyasmall.jpg
I jumped off the ATV 7 months after replacement. JUST to see how it felt. No swelling, no pain. Two months later I crashed on my bicycle and spent months recovering. But the knee was fantastic!

And since Range of Motion (ROM) was mentioned, I am quite curious what implant you guys have and how much ROM you have... *IF* the OP doesn't mind... Mine, Stryker Triathlon, 141* (designed for 150)

I wish it was as simple as finding another surgeon. He does lots of knees per year, I checked. Here is how I process it .... My Doc trained with the developer of artificial knees. He is the former head of a UC department of orthopedics, he was recruited to a well known high volume high quality practice in knee replacements, he specializes in the repair of knee replacements gone wrong, and he is an intensive cyclist. He and I have had several discussions about cycling 6k+ a year and climbing a reasonable amount. He understand the forces involved and he is skeptical that I can do this long term without potential problems. We have had discussions about some of the literature that suggests that it is possible to enjoy relatively trouble free issues with knees, even those involving high impact activity. His response is based on his clinical experience and he suggests, ' You may be fine, but I see what happens when someone tries to ski and things go wrong with their knee replacement and some people are in a wheel chair for the rest of their life.' Now, I understand his response is to get me to carefully consider the risks as well as the rewards of knee replacement, but I am at the point where I can't afford to be inactive and cycling is the most effective form of activity for my health. So, it is a complicated equation. I am encouraged by all of you who have had knee replacements and continue to be active and cycle a lot. However, I have not found any comfort in the medical literature about the longer term effects of higher levels of activity on knee replacements. We can all find reports from individuals who are 1-3 years out, but if you are 5+ years out and cycling high miles and climbing aggressively, then what are the outcomes? If you know of any literature that helps to sort out that answer, I am ready to hear it and discuss it with my doc. But, I really hope all of you who have had knee replacements and are cycling a lot are the harbingers of good news for folks like me!

zjrog 07-16-13 08:32 AM

There are other studies and reports, but here is one. http://www.arthritistoday.org/news/k...ports047-3.php
And probably as many for higher levels of activity as against. Dick Beardsley is a marathon runner with two knees, http://dickbeardsley.blogspot.com

Of course, many doctors will err on the side of caution. And many will tell you to all but lead a sedentary lifestyle. I can't imagine a knee replacement leaving someone in a wheelchair for life, especially if that doc is skilled in revisions. I can tell you that my surgeon was one of 50 consulted in the design for the Stryker Triathlon, which is what I have. So I would hope he is pretty certain of the capabilities and limits. If the spacer wears, get me a new one. Sure its surgery, but it can't be any worse than what I've already been through.

In the end, I would imagine its individual choice. Do your own research, consult more than one doctor. Your mileage may vary...

rsrider215 07-17-13 08:42 AM

I am 54 years old and 10 years out on my right knee replacement and looking in the next year or so of getting the left one done. I ride about 1,500+ miles per year, coach HS soccer and track. yes I am active as I do drills with the kids. I had my 10 year check up and it looks as good as when it was put in. I would love to run 5 and 10 K races with my daughter, but the impact of the road surface would not be a good idea. I do run soccer drills on turf and haven't experienced any problems, but don't over do it either. I tell people who ask about what they should do prior to getting a replacement is to get the leg muscles as strong as they can as the surgery alone will cause them to weaken until you get them working again. I have a Depuy rotating platform knee and if the space wears out, it can be replaced. Just don't wait until the pain is so unbearable that you don't enjoy life. I was at that point and most of the doctor's told me they would not replace my knee until I was in my mid 60's. I asked what do I do until then? Might as well as put me out of misery then. Found a good doctor who said I shouldn't have to wait and the rest is history. One of the best decisions I ever made.

I experience no knee pain when riding and I have a 2 mile hill at 8% for my commute to work. Hope this helps.

XCSKIBUM 07-18-13 07:04 AM

Too Windy to Ride Yesterday So We Took the Kayak Out

We had 10 knot winds yesterday out of the WSW. My road runs N-S so I didn't feel up to fighting the cross wind both ways.

My wife & I took our 16' Greenland II Folbot (folding) kayak out W/the adapted Kleeper sloop rig.

We put the boat together a few days ago & cartopped it to the lake. Here is a picture taken several years ago of the boat being assembled.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...oyage011-1.jpg

We leave it assembled all summer. It hangs from the garage ceiling during warm seasons. We break it down for winter storage.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...nvoyage006.jpg

Here are some pix of the sloop rig assembled. It takes about 30 minutes to set up the sails & outriggers.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Sailrig006.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Sailrig008.jpg

This picture shows the outriggers in place during a solo sail I did a few years back.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ndAug09037.jpg

I was surprised at how sore my leg muscles were this morning. We had a challenging sail yesterday having to tack close to the wind going up the lake. I had to ride the rudder pedals constantly & lean into the wind. Just as we dropped the sails & were turning about while heading downwind at the dock, a short, modrerate micro-burst hit us & blew us into a dock. It was quite tense, but my wife was able to quickly disconnect the outriggers to prevent damage. Lucky that the dock was there as the dam was just a short distance from the landing. We are going to find a better put-in/take out point. That one is too dangerous.

All in all I got a pretty good work out in my legs. I'm taking a day to recover.