Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Have you, or will you, relocate prior to retirement?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-05-13, 07:24 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 55 Posts

"Many boomers are trying to maximize their dollars as they start thinking about retirement, as well as continuing to learn, work and socialize. So NerdWallet crunched the numbers to find the best cities for boomers, many of whom strive to lead active, social lives while keeping costs low".

I'm considering pre-retirement to a bike-friendly town while in my fifties. Anyone else?

http://www.nextavenue.org/article/20...ers-pre-retire
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-05-13, 07:40 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm considering Portland Maine. Portland is very bike friendly, aside from rather harsh winters. Portland is a small city,
with very low crime. Problem: It's getting to be just as expensive as everyplace else.
Old 07-05-13, 07:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
I've got a decade to go, and we're thinking about it. Problem is, to be honest, this is great cycling country, and the mountains where we'd move have rather less good cycling -- narrow, winding roads, what's a shoulder? with heavy traffic in the summer. But the scenery sure beats bean fields!
Old 07-05-13, 07:42 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Too good of a job where I am. I'd be a fool to quit now and will relocate after I retire. However, relocate I most definitely will.
Old 07-05-13, 07:43 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Merlin Ti

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can retire in just a few years and my wife and I have been talking about where we would live when we retire...she is a year behind me...hehehe a year of freedom ! ! !
We currently live in Northern NY where most of her family live. Considering how large her family is...she is one of 15...there is not as much interaction as you may think but we do get together here and there...most live within half a mile of each other...
The roads are awesome for riding...or anything else for that matter...local govt. paves at the drop of a hat or sight of a crack, whichever comes first it seems. But taxes are high...property and sales, etc., winters are rough but if I'm retired who cares...better for snow shoeing and cross country skiing.

Our children live in MA where most of my family live. We are not a close family...other than the kids...very close thank goodness.
No grandchildren...sighs...anyone got a spare or two???

We've talked about moving to NH, VT, NC and staying in NY but closer to the kids...maybe the Catskills area. We're hoping to buy some land with a cottage that butts up to state or federal lands as we love to hike.

To put and end to this...We have no freakin' idea at this moment where we are going to live.
Old 07-05-13, 08:04 AM
gwb2407
DuckFan

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9 1, Cannondale Caad9 5, Cannondale Quick CX 1, 1986 Cannondale SR800, 1997 Cannondale F700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been able to turn losing my job at the age of 57 (November 2008) into early retirement. My initial plan was to live frugally, but happily, and to reclaim some of the health and vigor of my earlier years. July 2010 I literally pulled my 1986 Cannondale SR800 out of the mothballs and got on it for the first time in more than 20 years. What a joy that was, and it wasn't long before I decided that I wanted to do more biking. Furthermore, although I am originally from the Pacific Northwest and really love it there, I decided that I wanted to enjoy my biking in a warmer/drier climate. Long story short, summer of 2011 my dog Ace and I moved to Payson, Arizona. We're nestled in rolling hills and Pine trees, and at 5000 feet we don't get the blast furnace-like summer heat of the lower elevations. The biking is wonderful, as is the climate, and other than being isolated in a small town I have not regretted the move.
Old 07-05-13, 08:15 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is one weird list. Pittsburgh? Buffalo? Nice places I guess, but winters there are no fun.

I did enjoy a recent visit to Pittsburgh; Phipps Conservatory and the surrounding park were lovely, and the strip was pretty cool. My daughter hates the winters there.

I live in Louisville. The cost of living is relatively low and we have the Kentucky Center for the Arts and the new basketball arena and the NCAA champions in most sports at U of L. Public transportation isn't very good. I'd call the city bicycle-supportive rather than bicycle friendly. The Louisville Loop, when completed, will be 100 miles long, the place where all Freds, clueless joggers, and women of girth walking three abreast will go to spend their last days.

But heck, I'm thinking about Ft. Myers or New Smyrna.
Old 07-05-13, 08:15 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 193 Posts
When I retired 12 yrs. ago at age 55 I had spent 32 yrs building a life in CT. I've never considered leaving because of family. I also live in one of the most rural towns in CT and love it here. Great cycling through farms and woodlands and yet 25 minutes from Hartford and New London. Also 2 hrs from NYC and Boston. I am very happily ensconced.
Old 07-05-13, 08:20 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
I can retire in just a few years and my wife and I have been talking about where we would live when we retire...she is a year behind me...hehehe a year of freedom ! ! !
We currently live in Northern NY where most of her family live. Considering how large her family is...she is one of 15...there is not as much interaction as you may think but we do get together here and there...most live within half a mile of each other...
The roads are awesome for riding...or anything else for that matter...local govt. paves at the drop of a hat or sight of a crack, whichever comes first it seems. But taxes are high...property and sales, etc., winters are rough but if I'm retired who cares...better for snow shoeing and cross country skiing.

Our children live in MA where most of my family live. We are not a close family...other than the kids...very close thank goodness.
No grandchildren...sighs...anyone got a spare or two???

We've talked about moving to NH, VT, NC and staying in NY but closer to the kids...maybe the Catskills area. We're hoping to buy some land with a cottage that butts up to state or federal lands as we love to hike.

To put and end to this...We have no freakin' idea at this moment where we are going to live.
Although not on the lake side of NY, I am on the Vt side. I love and hate NY. I hate the taxes but love just about everything else.
Biking, Skiing, Hiking, and climate. My kids are here right now but I am a firm believer that your can't base your retirement location on where your kids live because life situations change and they may move. So where to retire? I would like to stay where I am and if I do, I'll downsize considerably so that my tax burden is less. I would like to move to the southern Adirondack park but it is a bit remote and would not be a good long term choice. I too am confused.
Old 07-05-13, 08:41 AM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
After I retired, a year and a half ago, I moved to Bowling Green, Ky., where the kids and grandkids live. Bowling Green is a growing community of just over 60,000 people. It has a university, a new performing arts center and many other features of a vibrant community. We are an hour from Nashville and two hours from Louisville.

We miss some of our old friends, but have met some new ones. Also miss my old bike shop, but they are only 80 miles away.

We live on the southwest edge of town, where the good cycling roads are. Life is good!
Old 07-05-13, 08:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Although not on the lake side of NY, I am on the Vt side. I love and hate NY. I hate the taxes but love just about everything else.
The lake side of NY? Not sure what that means. Lake George? Lake Champagne? I only ask 'cause I've spent a lot of time in that area in the past 55 yrs. My dad used to hunt and eventually went to live in Cobleskill and my son went to UVM. VT and the Adirondacks are just wonderful places. They'd be high on my list if I hadn't spent 40+ plus yrs. building a life in CT/MA.
Old 07-05-13, 08:48 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 76 Posts
I expect we will stay put. Our 1200 sq. ft town house is just right for the two of us. Outdoor maintenance is manageable, even for old people.
It's a 2.5 km ride from the house down to the lake, and nice easy riding in both directions along the waterfront.
Our kids and grandkids are nearby, at least for now.
No reason to go anywhere else.
Old 07-05-13, 08:50 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I stay put. Neighborhood is great. Town is solid. I do dream about a rural lodge and barn next to a sleepy golf course and excellent bike routes in all directions with seasonal change but no extremes. Anybody know of such a place?
Old 07-05-13, 08:54 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I fail to love, or even like, my town. But it's the perfect bike commute distance from work at 8 miles, and 5 miles for my wife's bike commute.
That's about the only reason not to move. Well, and that it would be a pain and I do rather like my house. But Antioch CA, home of the foreclosure and rising crime, is a horrible place.
Old 07-05-13, 09:30 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santa Barbara is great for biking and has a very mild climate with plenty of sun. However its pricey to live here.

Charlie
Old 07-05-13, 09:48 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't relocate prior to retirement, in part because retirement arrived, courtesy of redundancy, a couple of years earlier than I expected. So I have spent those two years giving the matter some thought. I will certainly move house - my current place isn't ideal for a number of reasons, including cycling - but the question is whether I stay in the same region, or go further afield.

I experimented by spending last winter in Spain. Very attractive, cheap, great climate, bike-friendly and the culture is terrific, as long as one stays away from the British expats; the expat community is beyond parody. And while I didn't become what you'd call a Spanish-speaker, I did get far enough to be confident that I could become one in a relatively short time.

Food for thought. On the other side of the equation is the life one has within one's local community. To move a great distance is to start again, to an extent, even in these days of cheap fast travel. And while I'm pretty self-contained and not especially needy, establishing oneself in a completely new social milieu is not an undertaking to be taken lightly once one has neither work, nor children, to give one easy access into a network.

Still thinking about it. Plenty of time, I intend to live at least another thirty years.

Last edited by chasm54; 07-05-13 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Lightly, not likely!
Old 07-05-13, 09:51 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by dbg View Post
I think I stay put. Neighborhood is great. Town is solid. I do dream about a rural lodge and barn next to a sleepy golf course and excellent bike routes in all directions with seasonal change but no extremes. Anybody know of such a place?
Edwardsville, IL or Columbia, Missouri

Edwardsville has a web of bike paths that extend 100 miles in Illinois and provide good access to the Katy Trail in Missouri. It's a College town. It's also a commuter town by car to St. Louis.

Columbia has several Universities and also offers easy Access to the Katy Trail.

The weather is far milder than NE Illinois and year around cycling should not be too difficult.

I'm 90% sure that I'll relocated to Edwardsville at the end of the year. I'll keep my job, which involves business travel across Illinois and Missouri. I expect to remain in my career with good stability for another 10 or 12 years. Staying in this part of the midwest with an annual extended trip to a second home is small-town Italy is our plan once full retirement starts.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-05-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 10:06 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barrettscv​, am I starting to dement, or didn't you intend to retire to Italy?
Old 07-05-13, 10:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 123 Posts
Not a chance!

We've got 5 kids, 15 grand kids and 4 greats. Most of them live with their families in the St Louis area. It would take a powerful, powerful magnet to pull us away. We've got a family party scheduled for tomorrow. I can hardly wait. Those are always fun.
Old 07-05-13, 10:16 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
I fail to love, or even like, my town. But it's the perfect bike commute distance from work at 8 miles, and 5 miles for my wife's bike commute.
That's about the only reason not to move. Well, and that it would be a pain and I do rather like my house. But Antioch CA, home of the foreclosure and rising crime, is a horrible place.
A bit of irony, perhaps? Assuming that Chasm54 concurs that it is indeed ironic?
Old 07-05-13, 10:18 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^if it is, I missed it.
Old 07-05-13, 10:19 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 99 Posts
In our 40 years of marriage, we have had 3 residences. Current one we built in '87 and really enjoy its local. Not overly community active or lots of connections is the reason we also have a second residence that sits atop 6 wheels. Two years and two months from today will be the last day of employment for wife and then this remarkable country will be our back yard. We have many 5K, half marathons, marathons and triathlons to look forward to.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-05-13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 10:24 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Barrettscv​, am I starting to dement, or didn't you intend to retire to Italy?
Only in my heart... ;-)
Old 07-05-13, 10:30 AM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. Unless I'm forced out of my position, I plan to retire at an older age. I envy those who had the luck, foresight, opportunity etc to just about guarantee themselves an early retirement, I am not such a person. I started later in life to do the typical things for one reason or another.

I have a good job now, pays well given my tasks and location (not well enough to buy a proper house here on 1 income though), so why leave? I haven't enough savings to do such a thing anyway. And none of those areas interest me in the least. Who put this article together anyways? The CofC for each of those municipalities? lol

Parts of middle/northern AZ interest me and seem affordable enough to find some land and put something on it, cycle friendly? Maybe, maybe not but as long as I'm at my current location for the next 20 years I've got great cycling at home and at work.
Old 07-05-13, 10:33 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Born and raised here in Tampa, been retired for two years, and have everything paid for. Can't see picking up and starting a new mortgage all over again. Kids and wife's family (except for her dad) are here and I know that she won't leave, so we'll be here till the end. Besides, we have year round cycling seasons.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.