Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why make it completely disappear?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-10-13, 12:12 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)

I "get" the whole thing about helmet threads. When I get tired of reading the repeat inane comments, I just move onto something else. I did wonder, however, what the 50+ folks had to say about it. Why make it completely disappear?
Old 07-10-13, 12:19 PM
GFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Completely disappear........are you talking about the helmet or threads discussing helmets?
Old 07-10-13, 12:33 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I take it he meant threads about wearing a helmet...

wear one... a helmet has saved my life more than once. I would prefer to grow old with at least some sense intact... but to each his/her own...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-10-13, 12:56 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm working on anti-insect precautions for mine. I think I need to work on my fashion-sense, however...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Goofus.jpg (55.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-10-13, 01:46 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
You'll probably find at least a few 50 plus cyclists prefer the wind in their hair but probably less than half I'm guessing. You could still click on the removed thread and it'll send you to the huge thread that it's merged with.

Most of us who were riding young still remember these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
50 plus helmet.jpg (28.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-10-13, 01:55 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Not only were the helmetless and violence on the trail threads moved, they were moved to trollheim as best I can tell, which is insulting to anyone who posted on them.

As far as the violence on the trail thread, unless someone went Philistine after my last post, that thread showed no rancor I was aware of. Both sides of the issue were civil, if not very compelling.

As someone with a two year membership, I would say the moves were inappropriate, but so what? It's not like I'm being audited by the IRS or under surveillance by the NSA or something.
Old 07-10-13, 02:01 PM
RaleighSport 
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Not only were the helmetless and violence on the trail threads moved, they were moved to trollheim as best I can tell, which is insulting to anyone who posted on them.

As far as the violence on the trail thread, unless someone went Philistine after my last post, that thread showed no rancor I was aware of. Both sides of the issue were civil, if not very compelling.

As someone with a two year membership, I would say the moves were inappropriate, but so what? It's not like I'm being audited by the IRS or under surveillance by the NSA or something.
It has more to do with a select few posters with very set opinions who troll from helmet thread to helmet thread arguing with and berating anyone who disagrees with their viewpoint, and point in fact all helmet threads are merged into a giant one over in A&S.
Old 07-10-13, 02:02 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
There are just some threads that you know where they are going even before the first response. People are so polarized that a civil discussion can't be had. Helmet - no helmet: republican - democrat; show a video or an accident and in the first couple of responses, the victim is blamed. People are so cowardly that they need to hide behind the internet.
Old 07-10-13, 02:02 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
You'll probably find at least a few 50 plus cyclists prefer the wind in their hair but probably less than half I'm guessing. You could still click on the removed thread and it'll send you to the huge thread that it's merged with.

I did click the removed thread and found a huge one. I only checked the last page but I didn't see anything that looked like us.

Oh - and I am one of the 50+ cyclists who like to feel the wind in my hair. That's why I don't shave my legs.
Old 07-10-13, 02:03 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
It has more to do with a select few posters with very set opinions who troll from helmet thread to helmet thread arguing with and berating anyone who disagrees with their viewpoint, and point in fact all helmet threads are merged into a giant one over in A&S.
Good enough. But why argue about helmets all the damn time when we could be arguing over who is going to win the Batchelorette this season?
Old 07-10-13, 02:18 PM
RaleighSport 
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans

I think I'll just pass on both, thanks though
Old 07-10-13, 02:23 PM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '88 Fuji Saratoga, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Good enough. But why argue about helmets all the damn time when we could be arguing over who is going to win the Batchelorette this season?
Both of my daughters watch that show. Then they discuss it with my mother-in-law. I don't understand the appeal, as it's heavily produced and edited. I'd rather watch the middle hour of any TDF stage.
Old 07-10-13, 02:24 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I still have one of those! The leather is getting kinda ratty, however. They were pretty cool, but probably didn't offer much protection in event of a head bump.
Old 07-10-13, 02:31 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Oh - and I am one of the 50+ cyclists who like to feel the wind in my hair. That's why I don't shave my legs.
I don't care about the helmet thread - wear one or not it's up to you.

What I do what to know is have other 50+'ers lost their leg hair? You'd think I shaved mine from looking at them (I don't). Not sure if it's an age thing or the hair just rubbed off from riding every day in the winter wearing cycling tights...
Old 07-10-13, 02:34 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Originally Posted by woodway View Post
What I do what to know is have other 50+'ers lost their leg hair? You'd think I shaved mine from looking at them (I don't). Not sure if it's an age thing or the hair just rubbed off from riding every day in the winter wearing cycling tights...
It's still there, but getting kind of thin.
Old 07-10-13, 02:35 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I still have one of those! The leather is getting kinda ratty, however. They were pretty cool, but probably didn't offer much protection in event of a head bump.

Didn't save Alan McCormack from a concussion (starting at about 1:30) but he still likes the wind in his hair w/o it (at about 3:00) lol.
Old 07-10-13, 02:36 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Lets start a helmet\no helmet-leg shaving\hairy-underwear\comando-tall socks\short socks\no socks-DF\bent-clipless\toe clip-CHAIN LUBE thead and wait for the mods heads to explode.
Old 07-10-13, 02:45 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can understand the beaten on rail trail being moved--but only just. The helmet one though--

So I had better not post about Clipless pedals- Compact versus Standard cranks- Which chain oil to use or quite a multitude of other items as They have all been covered in other forums and they will be moved to that one. And don't make a comment about the TDF as there is a specific forum for that aswell.

I am not saying to the Moderators-"Hand Off our Forum" but use your loaf occasionally and don't react to the spoilers that are about.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-10-13, 03:01 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I've noticed this with some "take the lane" comments. One side says never do it, and insists that anyone who disagrees advocates doing it always, even on 50mph plus roads, or they promote the opposite extreme.

Meh. I'm too busy keeping up with he Kardashians. (Actually my wife an her daughter really watch that )

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 07-10-13 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-10-13, 03:15 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

The Bell V1 Pro was a nice helmet. It was a "real" helmet, yet looked like the "leather hairnet"

http://www.google.com/search?q=bell+...w=1272&bih=819
Old 07-10-13, 03:22 PM
chasm54
Banned.

I'm on the side of the mods on this one.

The efficacy or otherwise of helmets is a hugely controversial subject and the answer, contrary to the fixed opinions of many here, is a long way from being obvious. Much of the evidence is contradictory and many of the oft-quoted "studies" are deeply flawed. So it is unsurprising that those who have bothered to investigate the subject - whichever side of the argument they are on - get irritated when they are told they are stupid by people who have nothing but prejudice and assumption to justify their strong opinions. History shows that this is always how it goes, and having a single thread in A&S to prosecute the debate is a perfectly reasonable solution, which works.

As for the beaten on a rail trail thread, it was an argument about gun control. That's clearly a P&R issue.

It is actually possible for us old folks to move between forums, you know. We aren't so sensecent that we'd get lost in cyberspace if we dared to venture beyond 50+ to discuss issues that are quite clearly not age-related.
Old 07-10-13, 03:35 PM
RaleighSport 
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
I'm on the side of the mods on this one.

The efficacy or otherwise of helmets is a hugely controversial subject and the answer, contrary to the fixed opinions of many here, is a long way from being obvious. Much of the evidence is contradictory and many of the oft-quoted "studies" are deeply flawed. So it is unsurprising that those who have bothered to investigate the subject - whichever side of the argument they are on - get irritated when they are told they are stupid by people who have nothing but prejudice and assumption to justify their strong opinions. History shows that this is always how it goes, and having a single thread in A&S to prosecute the debate is a perfectly reasonable solution, which works.

As for the beaten on a rail trail thread, it was an argument about gun control. That's clearly a P&R issue.

It is actually possible for us old folks to move between forums, you know. We aren't so sensecent that we'd get lost in cyberspace if we dared to venture beyond 50+ to discuss issues that are quite clearly not age-related.
I would like to note, Chasm qualifies as one of the posters I spoke of.
Old 07-10-13, 03:54 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
[QUOTE=stapfam;15835944]....So I had better not post about Clipless pedals- Compact versus Standard cranks- Which chain oil to use or quite a multitude of other items as They have all been covered in other forums and they will be moved to that one. And don't make a comment about the TDF as there is a specific forum for that aswell.

.QUOTE]

you forgot to add what's better - 26er or 29er? Or...650B!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-10-13, 04:08 PM
chasm54
Banned.

I would like to note, Chasm qualifies as one of the posters I spoke of.
Rearrange the following words into a well-known saying:

duck's off back a water.

Speaking of trolling, you seem conspicuously eager to start a fight. I suggest you calm down.
Old 07-10-13, 04:16 PM
RaleighSport 
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Rearrange the following words into a well-known saying:

duck's off back a water.

Speaking of trolling, you seem conspicuously eager to start a fight. I suggest you calm down.
Meh, I'm not eager for a fight. You're just one of the causes of why we can't discuss helmets in threads outside of the helmet thread... and I felt like pointing it out. Now if you mistake that as spoiling for a fight, I suggest we do not discourse as you will probably take almost everything I have to say out of context.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service