Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Shout Out for Giro Atmos

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Shout Out for Giro Atmos

Old 07-12-13, 10:27 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Surly Moonlander, Cramerotti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 43 Posts
Shout Out for Giro Atmos

At the risk of starting yet another helmet debate I think this is worth passing on.

I got a great deal on a Giro Atmos for my wife from Jenson (reg $180 - got it for $70). Fiddled with it to get the fit right and took it out for its first ride yesterday evening. Rode about 4 kms. and when turning down onto the highway she hit a patch of gravel while she was leaned into the turn. Took her down like she was in the Tour de France! Nasty bruise on her hip, slight scrape on her arm. When she got up she said that she 'might have hit her head'. Sure enough the helmet was dented and on close inspection the foam was cracked! Her head is fine (I am trained in spotting closed head injuries) - wasn't even sure it had hit - so the helmet did its job. She'd probably have a depressed skull fracture if it wasn't for the helmet. So, Cheers for the Giro Atmos!

When we got home first thing I did was to see if the sale was still on - NOPE!
Old 07-12-13, 10:57 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
https://www.giro.com/us_en/customer-s...g-helmet-faqs/
Glad your wife is ok.
The last question may be of interest to you:

Q: Does Giro have a crash replacement program?
A:
Giro is interested in your safety and in advancing our state-of-the-art in head protection. If your helmet is involved in an accident you may be able to get a credit toward a new helmet from Giro by doing the following:

Send us:
a. Your damaged helmet
b. A copy of your dated cash register receipt
c. A letter describing your accident (in as much detail as possible)

Ship to:
GIRO
Consumer Service
735 Pacesetter Drive
Rantoul, IL 61866

If you have any questions about this program please call us at (800) 456-2355 or e-mail us at giro-consumersupport@eastonbellsports.com. Crash replacement program is available to U.S. customers only. Customers outside the U.S. should call (800) 456-2355 or e-mail us for information on the crash replacement program applicable to them.

Remember: NEVER wear a helmet thatís been involved in an accident.
Old 07-12-13, 11:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,171 Posts
sorry about the accident. I usually buy the cheapest Giros, so I probably wouldn't bother shipping it to Giro. But the crash replacement is good to know about
Old 07-12-13, 11:13 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Surly Moonlander, Cramerotti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 43 Posts
Thanks Leob1, I'll give that a try. Despite my satisfaction with the outcome I was wincing a bit at the prospect of buying another one so soon - and at full price!
Old 07-12-13, 11:16 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Thankful your wife is okay. I hope she doesn't give up cycling because of this accident. Good luck getting a replacement lid. When I find a really good deal, I get several, (in different colors to match a kit).
Old 07-12-13, 11:31 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 315 Posts
Saddened to read she went down but glad she is OK.