Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Youngest kid off to grad school

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 08:53 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I read Ms. Kenton's thread about her son going off to the Air Force and about being empty nesters. My wife and I are in the same situation. Our youngest is moving to Florida in two weeks to start graduate school, not that big of a deal? We live in Washington state and she has always lived with us even going to college the last four years. Florida fercryinoutloud. too bad an in state school didn't accept her, she had the grades and all the right score cards as I call them for the program at the UW and didn't get accepted. Out of state students pay more for tuition so I'd say that was one reason she got accepted in Florida. As I told my wife I see several trips to Palm Beach in the next four years. She is a great kid and we know she is going to be fine but my anxiety/worry is just off the charts. We will be going down with here the end of this month to help her get settled in a condo she will be sharing with another grad student. Grad students are not permitted to live in campus housing. So like Ms K and to make this bike related I'm buying a new bike this week, my wife doesn't know about it yet though.
Old 07-11-13, 09:12 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like your daughter will do fine, though far away from you. Good luck adapting to the empty nest.

I'm not quite there yet. My youngest just finished first grade.
Old 07-11-13, 09:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
Our youngest is moving to Florida in two weeks to start graduate school,

Originally Posted by climberguy
My youngest just finished first grade.
We really need a 70+ forum. I feel such a disjoint

Good luck to your daughter and first grader

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-11-13 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
We really need a 70+ forum. I feel such a disjoint

Good luck to your daughter and first grader
My sixty-two year old friend's youngest daughter is three years old. He'll still relate to folks with kids in school when he's 70+. He probably hopes to send his daughter off to grad. school when he's eighty.
Old 07-12-13, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Just had my oldest move to Boca Raton to go to grad school. He worked for 2 years after undergrad school and has always lived within half an hour from us. Funny thing is that I communicate with him more now. We text two or three times a day...stuff like "did you see Cavendish got beat straight up in today's sprint?" Despite that still miss seeing him. Everytime I open the bike shed door I'm reminded of his absence. Three of his four bikes are hanging there as he only took one with him. I'm happy he's building his life and keeping us involved.
Old 07-12-13, 05:31 AM
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read Ms. Kenton's thread about her son going off to the Air Force and about being empty nesters. My wife and I are in the same situation. Our youngest is moving to Florida in two weeks to start graduate school, not that big of a deal? We live in Washington state and she has always lived with us even going to college the last four years. Florida fercryinoutloud. too bad an in state school didn't accept her, she had the grades and all the right score cards as I call them for the program at the UW and didn't get accepted. Out of state students pay more for tuition so I'd say that was one reason she got accepted in Florida. As I told my wife I see several trips to Palm Beach in the next four years. She is a great kid and we know she is going to be fine but my anxiety/worry is just off the charts. We will be going down with here the end of this month to help her get settled in a condo she will be sharing with another grad student. Grad students are not permitted to live in campus housing. So like Ms K and to make this bike related I'm buying a new bike this week, my wife doesn't know about it yet though.
Your daughter will actually benefit from learning the skills of living and managing challenges on her own. She will make you proud.

Let her live her life dad, without you worrying. Now is the time for your wife and you to live a little yourselves. Enjoy your time together and when you are feeling anxious, bike, bike, bike!
Old 07-12-13, 09:04 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Ah! A brother in anxiety! You know I feel your woe! We can comfort ourselves in knowing that based on what they have they achieved thus far, they have the capacity to succeed in their new situations.

Let me add that a new bike will definitely help you get through this and is an excellent distraction! Hopefully, your wife will see the merit, too.
Old 07-13-13, 05:45 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Empty nesters here for 6 years. We love our son but are delighted he is living on his own. I remember when he went off to college it was a weird feeling not having him around everyday, almost like being in mourning. a short time later, my wife got a little dog, I got a little sailboat and soon we were both fine.
Old 07-13-13, 08:24 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
You get to try Cuban food. Try their Cuban sandwich.

Try their "Malta Hatuey" a soft drink.
Old 07-13-13, 08:31 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
We have been empty nested for a few years. Our daughter finished her graduate work at Georgia in 2011, living and working in Atlanta now. Our son works for his church and is leaving for graduate language instructors school in Quebec come September. They pretty much took responsibility for their lives and finances when they finished high school, very motivated kids. It has not been traumatic at all, thankfully. Your daughter will benefit, as said above, from being away and making her way. We made sure that both knew we were there if needed and reassured them we would support their choices.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-13-13, 08:36 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
All three off to college and beyond. It's like " ...oh yeah, what do we want to do with the rest of our lives? " The house stills feels empty, but refocusing on spouse and yourself, it's like a rebirth. I think it really hits when you clear out the bedrooms and garage of all the kid stuff.
Old 07-13-13, 09:16 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
All three off to college and beyond. It's like " ...oh yeah, what do we want to do with the rest of our lives? " The house stills feels empty, but refocusing on spouse and yourself, it's like a rebirth. I think it really hits when you clear out the bedrooms and garage of all the kid stuff.
I had a very emotional moment last week. I have always kept a "step basket" on the staircase that leads to my boys' room. It was used to collect all the "stuff" they left lying around the house; at first LEGO pieces yo-yos, and pencil cases. As the years passed it became keys, wallets, sunglasses, mail, etc. I realized we don't need it anymore...there is no "stuff" to put in it and nobody to collect it. *sniff, sniff*
Old 07-14-13, 04:04 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
I had a very emotional moment last week. I have always kept a "step basket" on the staircase that leads to my boys' room. It was used to collect all the "stuff" they left lying around the house; at first LEGO pieces yo-yos, and pencil cases. As the years passed it became keys, wallets, sunglasses, mail, etc. I realized we don't need it anymore...there is no "stuff" to put in it and nobody to collect it. *sniff, sniff*
Put the stuff your husband leaves around in it, lol. It hasn't been too strange now that we are an empty nest, but it also could be that my SIL, wife's sister, has been in town and lives always go upside down when she's around. When the SIL & hubby and neice all settle down, the empty nest will then probably hit me.