Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

aaaaaahhh!

Old 07-16-13, 01:53 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
aaaaaahhh!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh!

It's pea gravel season!
Old 07-16-13, 01:59 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Sounds like an imbedded gravel road rash kind of thing.
Old 07-16-13, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
If one gets stuck in your ureters, you are really hosed.

Old 07-16-13, 02:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hope the bike's OK.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-16-13, 03:25 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are your corners like this?

I've been away from central Illinois (where this was taken) long enough now that I'd forgotten this particular phenomenon - pea gravel so deep at country intersections that it becomes a hazard. For some reason we don't have that where I live now.
Old 07-17-13, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB

I've been away from central Illinois (where this was taken) long enough now that I'd forgotten this particular phenomenon - pea gravel so deep at country intersections that it becomes a hazard. For some reason we don't have that where I live now.
Thank goodness my county no longer has the money to waste on all that excess pea stone. OTOH, they also don't have any money for road repairs.

Yeah, the two are related, if you understand how government works. For the last 15+ years they've been 'saving' money by chip-sealing instead of fixing the roads. Even though the roads kept getting worse, they were under budget! But in government, when you are under-budget, they cut next year's funds (because the formerly-allocated amount was obviously too much, right?) By now they don't even bother patching most pot holes, unless a particular patch of them gets so bad that the farmers complain. Most of my riding is now done in adjacent counties.
Old 07-17-13, 11:22 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My sister's husband told me the story once about his "departure" from bicycles.

It was most of 20-30 years ago; he was drunk, borrowed a buddy's bike to ride home, hit a gravelly corner, and peeled his face up past the hairline. Got up, walked away from the bike, never threw a leg over one again...until I gave him one that I'd rehabbed. Now, he rides once in a blue moon.
Old 07-17-13, 11:23 AM

Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
The adminstrators of my local MUP once decided to 'resurface' the trail with pea gravel. It was a disaster. Where it wasn't too deep it was like riding on marbles. In some spots, the worst possible locations, it was so thick your front wheel would just sink and stop, and you back wheel would just dig a hole. They thought it would 'pack down'. Pea gravel doesn't pack very well. Luckily, Hurricane Irene caused most of it to wash away due to flooding. But wait, there's more! The repairs to that left a shapr two inch drop off on both sides of the trail. Your front wheel drops off, and down you go.
Old 07-17-13, 11:45 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB

Yes although the roads are marginally better. I didn't go down as the season has just started. I was out scouting a possible new bike route and came upon the trucks laying down tar and gravel. Lucky they waited as the "pedal for paws" used that road on last weeks ride. I swear they figure out where I feel like riding and immedialtely go out with their trucks.1
Old 07-17-13, 01:58 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Thank goodness my county no longer has the money to waste on all that excess pea stone. OTOH, they also don't have any money for road repairs.

Yeah, the two are related, if you understand how government works. For the last 15+ years they've been 'saving' money by chip-sealing instead of fixing the roads. Even though the roads kept getting worse, they were under budget! But in government, when you are under-budget, they cut next year's funds (because the formerly-allocated amount was obviously too much, right?) By now they don't even bother patching most pot holes, unless a particular patch of them gets so bad that the farmers complain. Most of my riding is now done in adjacent counties.
Even just chip sealing makes the ride pretty rough on 110 psi tires when they use larger rock. That's provided they sweep the excess loose rock off. I used to run a chip spreader for seal coat crews and you can do several miles of road per day at that. On rural county roads with lesser traffic (especially truck traffic) that's what you often get.
Old 07-19-13, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Even just chip sealing makes the ride pretty rough on 110 psi tires when they use larger rock. That's provided they sweep the excess loose rock off. I used to run a chip spreader for seal coat crews and you can do several miles of road per day at that. On rural county roads with lesser traffic (especially truck traffic) that's what you often get.
On one of the local roads, someone had the brilliant idea to seal it with crushed limestone. That didn't work so well. Talk about rough! Everyone complained!