Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Rise of the MAMILs (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/903436-rise-mamils.html)

surfjimc 07-24-13 12:45 PM

Rise of the MAMILs

Saw this article over in the commuting forum and thought it deserved a run here. BBC Article
I've read that the biggest group of cyclists in the US are also men in their 50's.

Gerryattrick 07-24-13 01:13 PM

Nothing to do with us. We're OMILs

Bikey Mikey 07-24-13 01:25 PM

I may be a MAMIL or an OMIL, but I look good in it--and cycling is one of the reasons why...the major reason.

Biker395 07-24-13 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For me at least, it's not so much about carbon fiber bikes. It's about this:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=330869

Dudelsack 07-24-13 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick (Post 15884684)
Nothing to do with us. We're OMILs

Sad but true.

I'm sure Societal Forces will make fun of us and try to shame us into giving up our lycra and hanging our bikes up on the garage hooks, only to get fatter and gather dust (depending if you be man or bike).

Well, it's not going to work. I intend to be buried in lycra, and when they come to my open viewing I'll be wearing a helmet because I do not intend to take chances in the Afterlife.

Gerryattrick 07-24-13 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey (Post 15884732)
I may be a MAMIL or an OMIL, but I look good in it--and cycling is one of the reasons why...the major reason.

Yup. I also find that Lycra is good for holding in all those little flabby bits.

Mr. Beanz 07-24-13 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by surfjimc (Post 15884577)
................... and thought it deserved a run here.

A run or another run?
It's dated 2010 and has been running through these forums since then. :D

DnvrFox 07-24-13 04:00 PM

I guess I have graduated to a VOMIL. You figure it out :)

billydonn 07-25-13 01:36 AM

You go boy! :thumb:

Bikey Mikey 07-25-13 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 15885304)
I guess I have graduated to a VOMIL. You figure it out :)

Just be glad your not DMIL(dead men in lycra).

That would be funny(kind of) and scary seeing some guy buried in his kit.

OldTryGuy 07-25-13 04:42 AM

Not enough Lycra in the world to make this OMIL look good.

Reynolds 07-25-13 07:08 PM

I wear lycra on group/training rides and am not self-conscious about it, even if we go into a convenience store, etc. Some non-cyclists friends have pointed it out to me, but only at that time I realized it.

billydonn 07-26-13 05:04 AM

MAMIL SCHMAMIL..... I have lived long enough to stop acting like a teenager, worrying about whether everyone is watching me and what they may or may not think. If people don't like seeing my fine firm quads and glutes, they can take a flying leap.

mapeiboy 07-27-13 05:11 AM

Is this one of those feel good marketing articles ? I still remember the YUPPY , DINK , UPWARD MOBILE , TECH SAVVY . or the slogan from one of the local banks : you are richer than you think " .

DnvrFox 07-27-13 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 15886643)
Not enough Lycra in the world to make this OMIL look good.

I don't wear Lycra to look good. I wear it because, for me, it is suitable clothing for the activity. The same as I wear a swimming suit when I swim and proper shorts or long pants when I hike and appropriate skiing clothing, etc.

Lycra is comfortable for me, doesn't chafe, stretches when needed and is appropriate to this activity. I don't care a hoot how I look or what others think, although around here bicycling is so common no one notices anyway.