Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   So why do I love mtn biking/single track? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/903446-so-why-do-i-love-mtn-biking-single-track.html)

DnvrFox 07-24-13 01:34 PM

So why do I love mtn biking/single track?

8 Attachment(s)
To clear things up - I am a sub novice mtn biker/single track person. Nevertheless, here are some reasons I am loving it
  • New skill set required
  • Thinking fast - in "how do I avoid these roots and rocks going up a steep hill at about 3 mph and still maintain my balance?" I didn't fall once.
  • Different strength/muscle groups required
  • Scenery, scenery, scenery
  • No car sounds, only a few people
  • Controlling going down that steep hill at 15 mph or so ( for me,, at least)
  • Maneuvering through "sand traps"
  • It's fun and a change
  • I'm 73 AND I CAN DO IT!! :)

It was cool early this am - ergo a light jacket!

There is a trail in front of that pine tree in the 3rd pic - look carefully. That's is an old family cemetery on the 6th pic with the fence.

And you? Do you enjoy single track/mtn biking? Why?

Below are some pics from today's ride at Spruce Mountain Open Space in Douglas County, CO Click again on the 2nd picture for a large picture

ModeratedUser150120149 07-24-13 02:14 PM

Looks like a great ride.

con 07-24-13 02:19 PM

Nice pics, looks like you had a great ride.

I really like single track as a change from all my road miles. It can be so quiet and peaceful. The qualifier for me is what single track. I don't do the hard core single track with the monster drops, etc. I'm too old to fall hard and I ride a bike with zero suspension, a cross style bike, a Salsa Vaya.

My bike on one of our local trails
http://rad.smugmug.com/photos/i-bGdB...-bGdBRgD-M.jpg

You live in pretty country.

No goat heads today?

DnvrFox 07-24-13 02:43 PM

Nope- no goat heads, at least the tires are still pumped!!

Dudelsack 07-24-13 02:53 PM

The last time I went mtbing I was out in CO and left chunks of lung tissue on the side of the trail.

Still, it is fun for all the reasons you outlined.

There is a new trail about 5 miles from my house. It is not technical - no logs to jump or gnarly rock gardens - but there is a lot of up and down. I've been walking my dog out there and may go out there today, in fact, with the dumb mutt. In due course I'm going to try to ride it. I may regret it, but as they say: bones heal (though not very quickly at our age) but glory is forever.

Dudelsack 07-24-13 02:59 PM

One other thing. I'm actually heading out to Erie, CO, in August. I was planning on renting a bent and sticking to the bunny paths, but are there MTB trails in that area that I could navagate on an appropriate bike without Fear of Death? I did the trails of the Dirty Bismark last year, and frankly they were just too demanding, although with some judicious rerouting I think I could do the easier trails.

eg: Marshal Valley trail - bad.
Cowdrey Draw - very bad.
Mayhoeffer - fine.
Coalton and High Plains - good, as long as you carry oxygen.

And so on.

Gerryattrick 07-24-13 03:41 PM

XC and singletrack every time for me. The views, the silence, the absence of cars, the limited requirement for Lycra.

I can see the beauty of road riding and the exhiliration of speed, but for me the fun and freedom of mtbs is impossible to beat.

I might go back to road biking when I'm more mature. ;)

DnvrFox 07-24-13 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15885095)
One other thing. I'm actually heading out to Erie, CO, in August. I was planning on renting a bent and sticking to the bunny paths, but are there MTB trails in that area that I could navagate on an appropriate bike without Fear of Death? I did the trails of the Dirty Bismark last year, and frankly they were just too demanding, although with some judicious rerouting I think I could do the easier trails.

eg: Marshal Valley trail - bad.
Cowdrey Draw - very bad.
Mayhoeffer - fine.
Coalton and High Plains - good, as long as you carry oxygen.

And so on.

I am not familiar with specific mtn biking trails in Northern Colorado. I was only at about 7,200 feet today.

Dudelsack 07-24-13 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 15885246)
I am not familiar with specific mtn biking trails in Northern Colorado. I was only at about 7,200 feet today.

Just thinking about that causes me to hyperventilate.

The trails I mentioned are probably a 1/2 hour from where you live. Check them out, but the ones I said were bad really were bad. I'll not ride them again.

Im getting ready to email my s-i-l. I'll ask him about the trail you rode. I might make a day trip out of it. Could a daring soul do it on a hybrid?

DnvrFox 07-24-13 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15885340)
Just thinking about that causes me to hyperventilate.

The trails I mentioned are probably a 1/2 hour from where you live. Check them out, but the ones I said were bad really were bad. I'll not ride them again.

Im getting ready to email my s-i-l. I'll ask him about the trail you rode. I might make a day trip out of it. Could a daring soul do it on a hybrid?

I am in south Denver Boulder alone is over an hour away. This trail was south of Castle Rock, about 25 miles further south.

Dudelsack 07-24-13 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 15885405)
I am in south Denver Boulder alone is over an hour away. This trail was south of Castle Rock, about 25 miles further south.

I thought you lived in Westminster. My mistake. The area I'm talking about is in Lafayette.

cyclinfool 07-24-13 06:21 PM

Nice pics, nice ride. I MTB'd years ago. Downhill was pure craziness. Flatter trail riding was OK but I enjoyed road better - more of a sense of accomplishment. I may try it again as there is a set of trails about a mile from my house.

DnvrFox 07-24-13 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 15885701)
Nice pics, nice ride. I MTB'd years ago. Downhill was pure craziness. Flatter trail riding was OK but I enjoyed road better - more of a sense of accomplishment. I may try it again as there is a set of trails about a mile from my house.

Interesting!!

I find a great sense of accomplishment in going up a steep (to me) hill at 3 mph, finding my way through some rocks and tree roots on the trail and not tipping over.

John E 07-24-13 07:17 PM

Great post, Denver, but be careful out there. I suspect my friend was going somewhat faster than you or I do:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...-roth-injured/

This one hits a lot of us in the San Diego bicycling and technology communities pretty hard -- Duane is popular and well respected.

VNA 07-24-13 07:41 PM

I hope to be there, that is at 73, in a few years and do enjoy MTB with very steep trails and gorgeous views, single or fire roads don't make that much difference to me!

I bought a new fully suspended bike earlier this year it helps a lot particularly in very steep trails, but I now bought a brand new composite road bike and it is a pleasure to ride on the road as well--I had no idea that it would make such an improvement just like a fully suspended bike!

Great pictures!

DnvrFox 07-24-13 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 15885847)
Great post, Denver, but be careful out there. I suspect my friend was going somewhat faster than you or I do:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...-roth-injured/

This one hits a lot of us in the San Diego bicycling and technology communities pretty hard -- Duane is popular and well respected.

Yes, your suspects would be correct. I am into CAREFUL.

BTW, between 4th and 9th grades I would be driven 7 miles to the Lodge at Lake Cuyamaca, there to meet the bus for the 9 mile ride to Julian school. I think everything has burned down now.

cyclinfool 07-24-13 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 15885765)
Interesting!!

I find a great sense of accomplishment in going up a steep (to me) hill at 3 mph, finding my way through some rocks and tree roots on the trail and not tipping over.

Each person has their own measure for accomplishment. To me, road biking has always been more satisfying. As a kid I use to ride my bike everywhere, over anything. I beat the snot out of it - I cracked the head set out of the frame from jumping off rocks with it, that was fun then but holds little attraction for me now. I have tried mountain biking several times over the past 15 years, it just does not appeal to me as much - but I am not you and believe me when I say, I am happy that you enjoy it and get great satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment from it - I celebrate your victories with you.

DnvrFox 07-24-13 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 15885968)
Each person has their own measure for accomplishment. To me, road biking has always been more satisfying. As a kid I use to ride my bike everywhere, over anything. I beat the snot out of it - I cracked the head set out of the frame from jumping off rocks with it, that was fun then but holds little attraction for me now. I have tried mountain biking several times over the past 15 years, it just does not appeal to me as much - but I am not you and believe me when I say, I am happy that you enjoy it and get great satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment from it - I celebrate your victories with you.

Of course, and I did not mean to put down the road biking. I also enjoy completing my road bike training rides with less effort at a faster speed and/or more ease.

It is all good.

NOS88 07-24-13 09:12 PM

Nice to know there are new adventures to which one can look forward. Denver, I eagerly await the post when your 80 and get a unicycle! ;)

Sweetpete 07-24-13 10:18 PM

Like to mtb as my primary cycling. Only a short drive to a great trail system. I sort of did it backwards and moved into road cycling after mountain biking for years. Like both and since it is almost two different sports in terms of the skill set it is nice to do both for variety. Besides I can justify more bikes to the boss that way. :)

Daspydyr 07-24-13 10:44 PM

Great report, I love fat tires and single track.

BluesDawg 07-25-13 06:34 AM

:thumb:

mkane77g 07-25-13 07:30 AM

We like off road also. Out the front dhttp://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...e63t/002-5.jpgoor and on to the trails.

rumrunn6 07-25-13 07:41 AM

thanks for sharing, I just might pull the fenders from my winter commuter, add the missing chain and get out with it.

osco53 07-25-13 01:08 PM

Doing It the woods !

http://www.swampclub.org/
http://www.swampclub.org/boyette/

The Swamp club people are great, the trails they made and maintain thrill me big time.
I am not ready for the real hard stuff yet, may never be but IDC.

I love My Tour Easy and ride early AM's when the streets are mine,
I think riding the edge of a two lane country road is just too dangerous, cager's texting and all...
Cage=Cars
Plus riding near lots of cars,, not for me, the fumes will kill ya..

The Intensity of workout I need I can only get In the Dirt.
10 miles on my 29er HT in the sand, mud, roots, jeep trails and switchbacks is a real butt kicker I tell ya !
I get bored cranking mile after mile on pavement. In the woods things happen,,,

Almost Hit a deer, a young buck, came real close, He looked up, flinched,
crapped a pile and sprinted away super fast,, yeah I slid right into his,,, pile, almost crashed, LOL

The Fresh air !
the people,
the surprises,
the super hard workout,
the heat,
the mosquitos, ants, mud, tree limbs IN YER FACE !!

and yes the pain of the crash, reminds me I am alive it does..

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=331042http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=331044

I do not intend to leave a good looking corpse behind, rather a busted up scared worn out carcass, the worms wont mind a bit :D