Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

changing old Raleigh 10spd to modern gearing...HELP!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

changing old Raleigh 10spd to modern gearing...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 07:17 AM
vhj

Bikes: 1970 Raleigh 10sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Builders custom frames can be high dollar. Take your time and do some research. Us tall guys have a harder time finding quality old framesets to fit us.

If you like classic lugged steel looks and have deep pockets here are some links I just picked up over in C&V. They only go up to 61 though which would work for me but might just be short for you.

https://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/steel/tipo-corsa/
https://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road.../tipo-corsa-2/
https://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/steel/dolomiti/

I have done the online custom fit calculators and talked to a couple of popular frame builders. I have also talked to a few LBSs. Everyone’s opinions vary about the geometry of the frame. And most places want a good deal of money to do a REAL fit and geometry. I get that people need to make a living, BUT, I'm not sure whose opinion to take after getting varying ideas.

I am very tall and have proportionately VERY long legs. I am riding a 64cm 1970's Raleigh and with the seat stem maxed out it's really not tall enough. The top tube is 60cm to flat bars extend forward and the reach seems o.k., except my toes are very close to the front tire on turns. I also have 165 cranks and think I need longer cranks. I also wonder about the overall length of the frame hub to hub.

What is the best way to figure up a proper geometry drawing to take to a builder when I get so many opinions?
Old 07-28-13, 09:06 AM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I've done a couple of total running gear upgrades to old frames and I think a couple of points are worth bringing up.

When you do a total redo of the mechanicals you get the chance to really go to school on how your bike is put together and how to fix and adjust shifters, brakes etc.

To me, this is very valuable, no matter how many things I do on bikes I can always learn more and it brings you closer to being a fully functional rider who can solve problems on the road as they arise.

Also, if you load up an old frame with top quality and well chosen running gear and you find a frame you like better, you still have all that gear to do your next build. I have a very nice set of wheels that have been on three builds and have enough life to see a few more..money well spent I'd say.

This is my latest, an 86 Nishiki (I had this in C&V) built it in two days from a totally stripped frame, did one test/adjust afternoon and have been riding for a week now with zero issues.

Mike

Last edited by bykemike; 07-28-13 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 02:42 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by vhj
I have done the online custom fit calculators and talked to a couple of popular frame builders. I have also talked to a few LBSs. Everyone’s opinions vary about the geometry of the frame. And most places want a good deal of money to do a REAL fit and geometry. I get that people need to make a living, BUT, I'm not sure whose opinion to take after getting varying ideas.

I am very tall and have proportionately VERY long legs. I am riding a 64cm 1970's Raleigh and with the seat stem maxed out it's really not tall enough. The top tube is 60cm to flat bars extend forward and the reach seems o.k., except my toes are very close to the front tire on turns. I also have 165 cranks and think I need longer cranks. I also wonder about the overall length of the frame hub to hub.

What is the best way to figure up a proper geometry drawing to take to a builder when I get so many opinions?
Gee 64cm and it's still short. You are a taller man than me.
You can use a mountain bike seatpost to get your seat higher. Just make sure it's the right diameter, preferably by measuring yours with a micrometer or calipers and converting what you get to metric.

You can also use a longer Nitto stem to increase height & reach if you need to. On old fashioned bikes like yours your nose should be even with the centerline of the top of the bars with your hands on the drops and your head looking up and forward. I've even taped string to my nose with a little washer tied to the end just to get it right. Your bars should be about as wide as your shoulders, btw.

You will simply need the tallest bike and since I don't quite have that problem I wouldn't have advice for frame builders to refer. Someone local to you might be best I guess.

Your crankarms should be at least 175 and in your case I'd try and find some 180s or 185s.

Last edited by Zinger; 07-28-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-29-13, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
https://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2013-khs-models/flite-747/

This KHS is pretty big and has 200mm cranks.

For custom I think Gunnar is the best value I know of.