Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Left One Out (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/903996-left-one-out.html)

Frankfast 07-27-13 05:05 PM

Left One Out

After returning from my ride today I noticed that my rear wheel on my SS had a lot of play. So I took the rear wheel off and discovered that the bearings were loose. It was a good opportunity to clean things up and repack the bearings, which I did. I reassembled everything, tightened up the bearings and reinstalled the rear wheel, adjusted the chain.
I grabbed a beer and sat down feeling like I accomplished something and was ready for my ride tomorrow. No such luck. I looked down on the floor and picked up a nice shiny ball bearing. Instead of being angry, I laughed. This is not the first time this has happened. Now I'm not the worlds greatest mechanic but I have managed to build up all three of my bikes. I like fiddling as much as riding. There's something about walking into the local LBS and laying down a wad of cash and leaving with something ready to ride that bothers me.
So I started the process all over again. Shame on me for making the same mistake more than once. But, at least, it kept me off the couch.

Rowan 07-27-13 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Frankfast (Post 15895147)
After returning from my ride today I noticed that my rear wheel on my SS had a lot of play. So I took the rear wheel off and discovered that the bearings were loose. It was a good opportunity to clean things up and repack the bearings, which I did. I reassembled everything, tightened up the bearings and reinstalled the rear wheel, adjusted the chain.
I grabbed a beer and sat down feeling like I accomplished something and was ready for my ride tomorrow. No such luck. I looked down on the floor and picked up a nice shiny ball bearing. Instead of being angry, I laughed. This is not the first time this has happened. Now I'm not the worlds greatest mechanic but I have managed to build up all three of my bikes. I like fiddling as much as riding. There's something about walking into the local LBS and laying down a wad of cash and leaving with something ready to ride that bothers me.
So I started the process all over again. Shame on me for making the same mistake more than once. But, at least, it kept me off the couch.

You aren't the first home bike mechanic to make this omission. More than once. On this, you can trust me completely... we won't be the last.

Take consolation that it didn't roll and drop off into a loop pile carpet, or on to a hard floor so it bounced in some indeterminate direction and under something else.

I really like magnetic-based parts dishes for keeping this stuff together now.

Frankfast 07-27-13 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan (Post 15895185)
You aren't the first home bike mechanic to make this omission. More than once. On this, you can trust me completely... we won't be the last.

Take consolation that it didn't roll and drop off into a loop pile carpet, or on to a hard floor so it bounced in some indeterminate direction and under something else.

I really like magnetic-based parts dishes for keeping this stuff together now.

Actually I did find it in a loop pile carpet. I was lucky to see it. Otherwise I would have headed out for tomorrows ride with eight balls in the bearing instead of nine. Not sure what the result would have been.

Rowan 07-27-13 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Frankfast (Post 15895202)
Actually I did find it in a loop pile carpet. I was lucky to see it. Otherwise I would have headed out for tomorrows ride with eight balls in the bearing instead of nine. Not sure what the result would have been.

Nothing too serious in the short-term to medium term. Trust me on this one, too. :D