Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A Life changing moment.... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/905106-life-changing-moment.html)

bruce19 08-02-13 08:13 AM

A Life changing moment....

Last Wednesday I heard that sickening sound of a human skull being smashed into pavement.If you have ever heard that "thud" sound you know what I am talking about. No one's fault but my own. A split moment when a perfect storm of events (each one of which is not much on it's own) occurred. Riding in a line with my cycling club a bit of over braking put me face first into the pavement only 2 mi. into a ride. As I lay there I was sure that the left side of my face was crushed. My first thought was "Don't move." My gf rushed over and said "let me take you helmet off"..."No. Don't touch the helmet." By that point I had checked my fingers and toes to see if I had movement...I did...and had looked up and seen a beautiful sky with my right eye and nothing but a dull white blob with my left eye. I thought, ""Well, you will still have vision out of one eye." By then the EMTs had arrived the neck brace was on and I was off to the local hospital. This was to be a short stop. Within hours I was at Hartford (CT) Hospital.The first MRI had showed some serious destruction to C2 but the one at Hartford Hosp. showed worse damage for the C2 and found two more fractures. The next day (Thursday) I was in surgery for 5 hrs. Post surgery was accompanied by the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life.Sitting up all night, tears in the eyes, "give me a gun and let me kill myself" pain. The next day the surgeon told me he has seen the post-op MRI and wanted to go in for a quick re-angle of one of the screws because he was concerned it might cause a problem sometime in the future. So, off I went to surgery for a quick tweak.Turns out this took over 3 hours followed by the new "worst night of my life." By this time my definition of "pain" had grown my immense proportions. I am home now, 10 days later...wearing a collar and trying to believe life will someday become normal again.

In between all the surgeries there was the surgical repair of the "through and through" tear my now shattered front tooth had but in my lower lip. the 1 1/2 hrs. of stitches that a cosmetic surgeon put in my nose and the 7 stitches in my right hand.

This was not easy and I have a new found empathy for so many people who have had their bodies shattered and manage to pick up the pieces and go forward.

Biker395 08-02-13 08:19 AM

Cripes. :( Thank God no one futzed with that helmet!

I trust there is no neural damage? As absolutely awful as that is, it could have been sooo much worse. I have a nephew who broke his C2 in an dirt bike accident, and he's a total quad for the rest of his life. I think about him all the time.

Howz the pain now? What's your prognosis?

Dudelsack 08-02-13 08:25 AM

Thinking massive positive thoughts in your direction. Please heal quickly.

Bill Kapaun 08-02-13 08:49 AM

Get well soon!

bruce19 08-02-13 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 15916916)
Cripes. :( Thank God no one futzed with that helmet!

I trust there is no neural damage? As absolutely awful as that is, it could have been sooo much worse. I have a nephew who broke his C2 in an dirt bike accident, and he's a total quad for the rest of his life. I think about him all the time.

Howz the pain now? What's your prognosis?

I'm home and trying my best to "chill." The pain is so much less until I've been asleep on my back for several hours. Then the discomfort begins to build but some oxycodone takes the edge off. My prognosis is that I will one day be normal. This was also my parents' hope for me at birth. :)

Biker395 08-02-13 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 15917106)
My prognosis is that I will one day be normal. This was also my parents' hope for me at birth. :)

Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor!

Healing vibes to you, dude. I'm happy the story will have a happy ending.

chasm54 08-02-13 09:08 AM

Very unpleasant. Take a lap out, then rejoin the race.

mht7159 08-02-13 09:35 AM

Get well soon Bruce19.

Gerryattrick 08-02-13 09:39 AM

Scary thought that we're all only one mistake away from something similar, no matter how experienced. You always imagine that you'll have time to take some action to avoid injury, but you won't.

Glad to see that you're on the mend and I hope that full recovery doesn't take too long.

350htrr 08-02-13 09:44 AM

Wish you a speedy and full recovery, I broke my c6 5 years ago but I have been "normal" for 4 1/2 years now. Hope the same for you...

Dan Burkhart 08-02-13 09:57 AM

Mighty glad you were able to tell us the story yourself instead of reading it in the third person. Hope the pain is manageable and you heal quickly and completely.

Pamestique 08-02-13 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15916949)
Thinking massive positive thoughts in your direction. Please heal quickly.

Same here! Wow...story kindof made me sick to read. Take it easy and enjoy the rest period as much as possible.

overthehillmedi 08-02-13 10:02 AM

Heal well our friend. It will take time to heal and return to "normal". Don't rush, it takes time to do good repairs.

Daspydyr 08-02-13 10:08 AM

Sad to hear of your accident, crap happens.

In 2010 I went over the handlebars. Broke C1, C2 and T6, spent 9 day in ICU. I know that pain you are talking about. Every minute is hell!

Glad to hear you are home already and YOU KNOW-the miracle of being alive, your body is working hard to get better. This will mark you for the rest of your days. You will be better for it. I am now riding more miles than ever. I am more aware of my surroundings than ever. I appreciate people, hugs fresh air, all of life because of the event. You will live more richly on the simple things because of this event.

BluesDawg 08-02-13 10:14 AM

Very sorry to hear of your injuries and the pain you have endured. Glad to see that you are coherent and have your sense of humor intact. A positive attitude may or may not help you recover faster or more completely, but it will definitely enhance your experience of it. :thumb:

Good vibes coming your way from central Georgia!

VNA 08-02-13 10:16 AM

Wishing you the very best and be patient: mending takes time.

DnvrFox 08-02-13 10:18 AM

WOW!!

I've been through this twice with my sons. A word about pain. Pain is GOOD in that it shows you nerves are working. Be thankful for it.

My best to you and your recovery

baron von trail 08-02-13 10:25 AM

Holy Broken Neck, Batman. We all know we are one oops away from being in your brace.

Thank goodness you're fixable. Wishing you well.

aRoudy1 08-02-13 10:33 AM

Had the same injury and the same experience of needing a second surgery because of poor screw placement. My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Frankfast 08-02-13 10:49 AM

When I'm depressed I go look at my Ducatis. It will motivate you. Get well my man.

leob1 08-02-13 11:14 AM

Good thinking on your part, not moving from the start. Remember, we cyclists like pain. Imagine if you where a baseball player!
Do what the docs tell you, Get better soon. Good wishes being sent you way!

And BTW; How's the bike?
(somebody had to ask)

ModeratedUser150120149 08-02-13 11:19 AM

Prayers for the power to persevere and fight to a complete healing.

As my posts have reported life can, and often does, change in an instant. Devouring Monster pain is right there. But it is a monster that can be slain.

With you as you adapt and overcome.

Pamestique 08-02-13 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 15917503)
WOW!!

I've been through this twice with my sons. A word about pain. Pain is GOOD in that it shows you nerves are working. Be thankful for it.

My best to you and your recovery

Words of wisdom Dnvr... We all rather suffer some pain then have the realization of never having the ability of feeling it again.

bruce19 08-02-13 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Daspydyr (Post 15917461)
Sad to hear of your accident, crap happens.

In 2010 I went over the handlebars. Broke C1, C2 and T6, spent 9 day in ICU. I know that pain you are talking about. Every minute is hell!

Glad to hear you are home already and YOU KNOW-the miracle of being alive, your body is working hard to get better. This will mark you for the rest of your days. You will be better for it. I am now riding more miles than ever. I am more aware of my surroundings than ever. I appreciate people, hugs fresh air, all of life because of the event. You will live more richly on the simple things because of this event.

I feel like I just found a brother.

NOS88 08-02-13 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 15917409)
Mighty glad you were able to tell us the story yourself instead of reading it in the third person. Hope the pain is manageable and you heal quickly and completely.

+1 And, take the time to heal properly.