Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

6th Annual 50 plus ride. An official Poll, I hope!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Which Rides would you consider attending?
Boston-MassBike Tour (July, last weekend)
35.71%
Katy Trail Social (July 18-20)
23.81%
Denver Rio Grande (Sept)
28.57%
Las Vegas Gran Fondo (Sept, 2nd week)
19.05%
California Sonoma (Sept)
35.71%
Michigan Leelanau Wine Fest (Sept 14)
19.05%
Tucson (November)
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

6th Annual 50 plus ride. An official Poll, I hope!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 08:27 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Thanks for the bump, Jim!

Right now I'm out of work, but I can't actually make a plan yet for summer riding. I'm looking for other safety engineering work, but I don't know what the deal will be if I get it, in terms of taking vacation when I want to.

But I'm putting Boston, Katy, Colorado, and Leelanau on my schedule. For next November, Tuscon would be real good. If I retire, I'll be able to do them all. If Mrs. Road Fan's mother is ok, she'll be able to come with me.

Marc, do you know if the Leelanau Wine Fest is pre-registered or day-of-event? And where did you find it? I've been looking in the League of Michigan Cyclists Ride Calendar (https://www.lmb.org/index.php?option=...list&Itemid=22), and I don't see it.
Old 11-28-13, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Thanks for the bump, Jim!

Right now I'm out of work, but I can't actually make a plan yet for summer riding. I'm looking for other safety engineering work, but I don't know what the deal will be if I get it, in terms of taking vacation when I want to.

But I'm putting Boston, Katy, Colorado, and Leelanau on my schedule. For next November, Tuscon would be real good. If I retire, I'll be able to do them all. If Mrs. Road Fan's mother is ok, she'll be able to come with me.

Marc, do you know if the Leelanau Wine Fest is pre-registered or day-of-event? And where did you find it? I've been looking in the League of Michigan Cyclists Ride Calendar (https://www.lmb.org/index.php?option=...list&Itemid=22), and I don't see it.
Ken,
The Leelanau Harvest ride is run by the Cherry Capital Club, and can be found here. They have day of ride registration but offer substantial discounts for pre-registration and will not guarantee lunch without pre-registration. I have set aside time for the Boston trip, possibly the Katy trip and will do whatever fits my schedule here in Michigan. I haven't heard any plans about a Colorado get together, but I am planning a two week trip in the area of Denver at the end of June and early July. I wonder what's going on with that idea? Thanks for bumpin' this up Jim.

Marc
Old 11-28-13, 09:48 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Thanks, Marc! I know a lot of those Leelanau roads, and they are excellent! In the summer, lodging is quite a challenge in that area, but September might be close enough to season end for it to open up a bit.

Regarding Colorado, I vaguely recall D. Fox suggested that the Colorado trails are all still there, and provided for a good get-together for BF#1. So I had that plan, wherever it's documented, in mind. You must have gotten that date from somewhere. D. Fox would have to be engaged to coordinate it. Main good thing for me is that it's a two-day drive rather than a West Coast drive.
Old 11-28-13, 10:13 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

The date suggested initially for Colorado was in September also. I am planning a trip on my own for a two week tour to include a portion of the Continental Divide without getting off in too remote an area by myself. For me, Denver will be a train trip. Bikes can be checked on that train for $10 +15 for one of their boxes. I'd much rather do that than drive. That particular train has really good accommodations and dining also.

Marc
Old 11-28-13, 02:28 PM
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I would be up for the Mass area ride.
What length ride are you considering, I vote for century ride.
Pirk
Old 11-29-13, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
I would be up for the Mass area ride.
What length ride are you considering, I vote for century ride.
Pirk
Typically the Annual Rides are informal affairs held in conjunction with an organized bike ride sponsored by an organized club, or in the case of MassBike, an organized advocacy group. Usually such events offer different mileage routes, and the subscribers who attend choose according their ability, and ride at their preferred pace; well and good if some choose to ride together.

Previous Rides have had from four to about 10-12 BF subscribers of the Fifty-Plus persuasion attend. This year in Boston there were four of us and we all rode together the shortest distance of about 30 miles, which included a slow segment of about five miles through the historic Minuteman National Historic Park. We were a very sociable group.

If interested, there is a sticky chronicling all the Rides, and this post details the personal narratives.
Old 11-30-13, 02:36 PM

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could make the Boston and Michigan rides. rtool
Old 12-01-13, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by rtool
I could make the Boston and Michigan rides. rtool
Good to hear from you Dick. Are you planning to bring the crew with you?

Marc
Old 12-01-13, 07:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure, haven't asked them yet. Bev might be able to make both, but John will be back driving the school bus by Sep ride. Let you know more later. Good to hear from you also. Really enjoy your blog, keep it going.

Dick
Old 12-01-13, 09:09 AM

Hi, Richard, I hope we're at the Leelanau ride together this year, not to mention the Ann Arbor ride.

Do you know if Beverly is riding this year?
Old 12-01-13, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, Richard, I hope we're at the Leelanau ride together this year, not to mention the Ann Arbor ride.

Do you know if Beverly is riding this year?
Hi. Do you know the dates for the Leelanau and Ann Arbor rides? Kinda depends on their dates. As far as I know Bev will be riding this year. I know we really enjoyed the Ann Arbor ride. Good to hear from you. Dick
Old 12-01-13, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey R.Tool.. One Hell of a Ride is always second saturday in July. It was a beautiful day this year,blue skys and sunshine. Say hi to Bev. and John.
Old 12-01-13, 03:43 PM

Not sure, haven't asked them yet. Bev might be able to make both, but John will be back driving the school bus by Sep ride. Let you know more later. Good to hear from you also. Really enjoy your blog, keep it going.

Dick
I'll plan on seeing you this summer then, Boston should be a blast with more folks around. I keep the blog going, people keep complimenting my meanderings through the language of bikedom. It's the best source for totally unqualified opinion.

Marc
Old 12-01-13, 04:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Hey R.Tool.. One Hell of a Ride is always second saturday in July. It was a beautiful day this year,blue skys and sunshine. Say hi to Bev. and John.
Thanks for the info. I'll tell them you said Hi. Hope to see you in July.

Dick
Old 12-10-13, 07:41 PM

Hi. Do you know the dates for the Leelanau and Ann Arbor rides? Kinda depends on their dates. As far as I know Bev will be riding this year. I know we really enjoyed the Ann Arbor ride. Good to hear from you. Dick
The Leelanau ride is September 21, 2014. You can find out about it at www.lmb.org in the Ride Calendar section. That is getting closer and closer to showing All Rides in Michigan.

This ride is hosted by the Cherry Capital Cycling Club in Traverse City, MI. Their website (linked by Marc in post # 27 of this thread) has more information, including routes.

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-10-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 06:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Leelanau ride is September 21, 2014. You can find out about it at www.lmb.org in the Ride Calendar section. That is getting closer and closer to showing All Rides in Michigan.

This ride is hosted by the Cherry Capital Cycling Club in Traverse City, MI. Their website (linked by Marc in post # 27 of this thread) has more information, including routes.
Thanks, I'll look it up.
Old 12-30-13, 12:10 PM

I'm putting together some plans for the summer. Does anybody have any plans for the Katy Trail. Last year they were starting in St. Charles and working around that. Is that the projected plan again?

Marc
Old 12-30-13, 12:21 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
None of the above , I just dont travel much anymore.

too expensive and I dropped out of the car thing.

and TSA has made Air-travel into a crime scene..

if you ride from Canada and down the Pacific Coast route, on US 101,

you will pass thru part of this town.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-16-14 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by irwin7638
I'm putting together some plans for the summer. Does anybody have any plans for the Katy Trail. Last year they were starting in St. Charles and working around that. Is that the projected plan again?

Marc
Hi Marc,

Here’s a link to the post that began the personal narratives of the Katy Trail ride, including these tentative plans posted after last year's ride:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
We're thinking we should make this an annual event and at about the same time so that would be July 12&13 or July 19& 20 next year. Dellphinus and Jerry STL arrived early and rode to Machens and back before the "official" Social so they got in roughly 50 miles on the day. David Bierbaum and I wimped out and only rode 25 but the combination worked perfectly for everybody. We'll definitely make the Machens out-and-back an "official" part of the Social next year for the folks who want it. For various reasons we decided to skip the Madison County, IL ride but will plan to include it next year with a choice of distances. We hope to have more riders and hopefully some out-of-towners next year.
Maybe you could PM Retro Grouch and stir him into action. Boston is still tentatively the weekend of July 26.

Jim

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-30-13 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by irwin7638
… Does anybody have any plans for the Katy Trail…

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Maybe you could PM Retro Grouch and stir him into action.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Already hearing queries about the Katy Trail Social [July 12 & 13] so I guess it's not too soon to start planning. The RAGBRAI promoters have asked to shift our date forward a week to minimize our impact on them.

Saturday's ride starts at 8:00 in St Charles for the long riders and at 10:00 for the for the short riders.
Sunday's ride will start at 9:00 at the Madison County trailhead office.

Can't promise the same photographer as last year, but we can hope.*
It would be nice to have a feel for how many folks are planning to come, but I'll ride on July 12 if I have to do it by myself.
So RG’s separate thread, Katy Trail Social, July 12 & 13 for the Katy Trail Social is duly noted. I might add this quote from the ride from last year, so attendees know what kind of bike to bring:

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
The Katy Trail is excellent for hybrids, cyclocross, and touring bikes with somewhat fatter tires. Mountain bikes are overkill but would work.

There are people who ride on it with road bikes having tires as small as 700x23. I've done it myself for short distances, but don't recommend it. The Katy isn't perfectly smooth and you can run into some soft patches where skinny tires can sink in…
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
*…The only bad thing about this shot, is that we didn't get a shot of the person taking this pic. We have nicknamed the intersection where this was taken "Bikini Crossing" in honor of this intrepid photographer...

Originally Posted by Dellphinus
**…She made my knees weak... []

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-30-13 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 07:27 AM

Thanks Jim,
I may have to weigh whether to go to the Katy or Ann Arbor ride since they are now scheduled on the same weekend.

Marc
Old 12-31-13, 09:04 AM

I can't say the Ann Arbor ride offers scenic photo-babes, unfortunately!

I'n thinking of doing GOBA in mid-June, then Ann Arbor, most likely, after that.
Old 12-31-13, 12:02 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
There isn't a "none of the above" selection.
I don't live anywhere near any of those rides. We moved to FL so I could ride year round.
How about a FL winter ride?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-31-13, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by RonH
There isn't a "none of the above" selection.
I don't live anywhere near any of those rides. We moved to FL so I could ride year round.
How about a FL winter ride?
Speaking (posting) for the original poster, Irwin 7638 (Marc) who started the above poll to get the ball rolling for one or more venues for the Sixth Annual Fifty Plus Ride, that poll was closed back on August 26.

Initiating another venue for such a ride is always possible if you are so inclined. On a previous thread, I proposed a definition of an Annual Fifty Plus Ride:

Marc and I have both ridden three of the last five Annual Rides…

I'd like to propose this definition of an Annual Ride: One that is announced on the 50-Plus Forum for all subscribers, with sufficient lead time to make preparations to attend. No minimum number of riders, other than at least one besides the “host.” After the ride there should be some narratives and photos of the event (“without pictures, it didn't happen”). Then the ride should be recorded in the Chronicles. It would be helpful to keep all the suggestions for a Ride on one single thread..

…For those interested, there is a sticky on the Fifty-Plus Forum, A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides, and in one post, I listed the threads that chronicled the Rides I to V beginning with the personal narratives and photos.

Recently, I perused the various threads about those Rides to reminisce. There was a definite pattern to the threads for those previous Rides: initial discussion in the winter about where to go, followed by a flurry of enthusiasm; spring doldrums; eventually the posts immediately preceding the ride as the participants departed for the destination; and the memorable tales afterwards about the event.

Originally Posted by miss kenton
As in past years, what it boils down to is an individual(s) willingness to step forward to provide the necessary information in regards to creating a route, or finding a organized ride in which the group can participate. In addition to spending a considerable amount of time investigating the ride itself; distances, routes, amenities, fees, etc., it would likely involve providing information about nearby lodging/campgrounds, possible social activities, meeting up points and such. Some may find that a bit too challenging, but I believe that is how all previous rides came together and I am grateful to those that did for the rides in which I was able to attend.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-31-13 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When and where in Florida?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.