Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for recovery

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 05:08 AM

Bikes: litespeed blue ridge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I took a 65 mile ride on Friday. It was pretty hot and I had two bottles of water that I went through. The last 15 miles or so I was without water, passed no place to refill, and bonked so that the last 5 miles were pretty tough. I'm still dragging, so I wondered if there's anything I should do except rest--maybe short rides for this week. I also hope it's just a hydration reaction and that I'm not suddenly too old for a long ride!
Old 08-15-13, 05:21 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
It's almost a week. If you haven't fully recovered at this point something may be wrong. Have you checked BP? Resting pulse? It's time to go to the doctor. Today.
Old 08-15-13, 05:27 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be able to rehydrate fairly quick but maybe you were dehydrated before you started...Try some Gatorade and Bananas...Might think of taking a Protein supplement...One with Amino acids in it like Prostat or some you can find on Pharmacy shelf...
Old 08-15-13, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Only 2 bottles of water on 65 miles on a hot day. I think you might have been seriously dehydrated. You need to either plan refilling stops or get a small hydration pack. For long rides I where I'm not sure of where I might stop, or really hot and humid days I carry a liter hydration pack along with 2 bottles filled with an electrolyte drink. You might also want to carry and take electrolyte pills - I like Hammer endurolytes - if just drinking plain water. Personally I try to drink about 1 bottle (for me 24oz) every hour but then I sweat a lot.
Old 08-15-13, 06:26 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry 4 bottles on the bike on a 25 mile ride and drink them all....Beginner, overweight, Eastern NC heat and humidity... dehydration combination....
Old 08-15-13, 06:28 AM

Bikes: litespeed blue ridge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm tired, and I think I caught a cold. I had a scratchy throat the night before and maybe should have done a shorter ride, but I set a goal. I think if I'd had another bottle of water and had been able to do more energy gel, I would have been OK.
Old 08-15-13, 07:09 AM

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Wow, I was in exactly the same boat as you a few weeks ago, 65 mile ride and ran out of water. Thankfully I found a farm that was willing to refill my bottles and another house later on that was open to giving me water. I went through 6 bottles that day.

Essentially you got dehydrated and stressed yourself. This may take a week or so to get over it, more if you caught a bug like you suggest. While it's too late now, it's important to GET rehydrated as soon as possible after arriving home. You should always drink cool (not cold) water until you can urinate. It's important to NOT lay down or recline until you've urinated. That's about the best way to tell that you are passing some water and that you have enough liquids to be able to pass some. Otherwise you could drop into renal failure in your sleep.

A tepid shower is advised too if you are overheated. Not hot or cold, just on the cool side. You can attempt to replenish your salts and electrolytes but to be honest with you, I don't really believe that the "sports drinks" do all that much good as I suspect you pass a fair amount of the "goodies" in them right through. Just eat a light meal once cooled off, rehydrated and have passed some urine.

The posters above have already mentioned it but try and route your ride to pas places you can get water next time. Filling stations, friends houses or public buildings. Also carry more, or get a re-hydration pack to carry on your back. Above all don't mess around with being "almost" close enough. Carry or have opportunity to get water when needed. Always stop for more water when the opportunity presents itself. Drink from the source (a water fountain, bought bottles of water etc) then fill your bottles so that you aren't having to suck down your resupply right away.

I hope you get over it, as I did. Take a few days off and get rested, repaired and rehydrated and be sure to see a doctor if the issues persist beyond a few days.
Old 08-15-13, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Just wondering, would a group of riders ever consider hiring a young driver to be a type of support vehicle that carries hydration, some food, etc?
Old 08-15-13, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
OP ~
how much time did the ride take?
what was your riding history and exercise routine before Friday?
what did you eat before, during and after your ride?
Old 08-15-13, 08:24 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Just wondering, would a group of riders ever consider hiring a young driver to be a type of support vehicle that carries hydration, some food, etc?
Our annual Wisconsin trip averages 75-100 mile days in early August. Our format allows SAG support drivers (family trip. Riders swap in and out. Non riders drive support and carry bags to next hotel). There is NO WAY we could maintain that kind of mileage in that heat without frequent support. The most beloved and welcomed person on those long hot days is the support driver with cold water and gatorade and snacks. When I'm empty (body and bottles), there is no better sight than a SAG vehicle in a shady spot up ahead.
Old 08-15-13, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Past-A.../dp/0880117370 This book was recommended to me here on Bike Forums. It has much good advice, based on experience and sport science research. For some of older people trying to pass for athletes, recovery is the key issue to being able to ride consecutive days of longer distances. As for hydration, I weigh myself frequently after longer rides to get an idea whether I've been drinking enough. If I'm down two pounds or a kilo or so, that is fine.

It is difficult to drink enough on the bike so if temps are very hot, say during mid-summer and the ride is to be a longer one, I will drink a bottle before the start, and carry two bottles for the ride. I also make sure I'm well hydrated even before drinking down that first bottle. I know this has worked for me even for a 70 mile ride in my area because I weigh myself after such a ride and know fluid losses have been in the expected range.
Old 08-15-13, 09:36 AM

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yep, a LOT of clubs and promoted rides do just that. Doing it for a casual ride may not be feasible though. What MIGHT help is to have a spouse or close friend available during a ride who can come and pick you up if you are calling it quits, injured or bike breaks down.

When I go too far I put the bike rack on my van and have my wife stand by just in case. I've had to call for a pickup only once, a flat with a blow out valve and no tubes (that's another story). It's important to KNOW where you are though so you can communicate this to your pickup, so pay attention to road signs, or better yet plan out your route ahead of time and give the other person a copy of your maps and route. I once did this with a 45 mile route I planned that took me waaaay off the beaten path. I actually broke the route up into sections and assigned each a letter of the alphabet, that way when i called her I could tell her I was stuck in section G, she could look at the map, pick the section, directly navigate to that area and easily find me.
Old 08-15-13, 01:16 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
you see this thread?

"Dehydration leads to low blood volume which causes low blood pressure."

scroll down to #10 , or read down to #10 :
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-after-riding
Old 08-15-13, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Maybe there could be a service type business that serves the riders. The local bike shop has the mechanics, the equipment, the inventory to do on the road assistance. The concept would have to be refined based on the geographical location and population density.

I would imagine that riders have similar routes they take and these would be the strategic targeted areas.
Old 08-15-13, 04:38 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I met a group of cyclists who were riding down the coast through Oregon and California. Their non-riding wives drove a support car. Sounds pretty ideal.
Old 08-16-13, 01:43 AM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
It takes two weeks to get acclimated to the weather, so if it was your first hot day, then your body wasn't used to it. I went for a ride yesterday and it hit almost 90. Even though I had enough water, the heat still got to me and I was ill all day today. You should sip water, etc, before, during, and after your rides to give your body a chance to absorb fluids. If your pee isn't almost clear, then you are dehydrated. You may also need to give your body a few days to get back used to the heat stress you placed on it. Do stops in the shade, have plenty of fluids, and take it easy until your body gets used to the heat.
Old 08-16-13, 01:45 AM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you see this thread?

"Dehydration leads to low blood volume which causes low blood pressure."

scroll down to #10 , or read down to #10 :
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-after-riding
Dehydration leads to thick blood and makes the heart pump harder to push the thicker blood through all the tiny little tubes, thus overworking the heart and making more heat. Lack of fluid leads to lack of proper blood flow because the blood is less fluid.
Old 09-18-17, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, Trek Superfly

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in Texas. I use a camelback.
Old 09-19-17, 09:44 AM
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)