Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Townie Electra vs. Giant DX Sedona

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-20-05, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just getting back into the bike business after several years of sitting on the couch, so to speak. Looking at bikes that are "user friendly" for my type/age. Tried both the Townie Electra (21 speed) and the Giant DX Sedona (14" frame). Giant seemed to be a smoother ride and liked the steering bar placement and comfortable seat, but also liked the Townie for its peddle placement. Not sure the Townie felt as smooth a ride as the Giant. Will be using it on the great bike/golf car paths in Peachtree City, GA, so don't need a mountian bike or such. Which is the better bike for an over 50 woman who wants to enjoy the sport, not park that bike in the garage after a few tries?
Old 03-20-05, 06:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use my Townie 21 daily for about one to one-and-a-half hours. It probably isn't as smooth as the Giant, but it has been reliable and comfortable. Either the Townie or the Giant will leave your tush sore after about 1.5 hours. You just can't sit upright for more than that without some discomfort & numbness. If you're willing to get off & walk for 10 minutes or so out of each hour, either should be fine. Buy the one that feels best to you - you'll ride more than it you buy what someone else thought was best.
Old 03-21-05, 06:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your advice regarding my bike selection dilema. Appreciate your jumping in and sharing your experience with a newbie!! How did you make your selection decision? Was it a clear choice, or did you have another bike in mind, also?
Old 03-22-05, 08:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was comparing the Giant Suede and the Townie....I picked the Townie because of the geometry of the seat and pedals....It felt better for my back...I am just starting to ride again. I stopped when my hybrid Raleigh bothered my neck and back