Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fit over sunglasses for riders with eyeglasses

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 01:06 PM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use eyeglasses with transition lenses and have a pair of cocoons to cover them. Does anyone make non-dorky looking sunglasses which can fit over a normal pair of eyeglasses?

Thanks, Rich
Old 09-05-13, 01:10 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
After giving the transitions a good try I finally broke down and got prescription sunglasses. Works well for me but I do have to carry my other glasses for starting and finishing double centuries.

Don't know of any that would work over your glasses . . . dorky or not.

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-05-13, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the fit-over glasses in both cars, and they are quite convenient. Probably a little dorky looking, but I don't mind.

I've never worn them biking -- I feel it would be just too much stuff on my face.
Old 09-05-13, 03:17 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Used to use the polarized clip-ons over eyeglasses but now have Progressive-Transition doing the job. Tried putting sunglasses over eyeglasses but Third Eye mirror didn't work right.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 09-05-13 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 03:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
I use eyeglasses with transition lenses and have a pair of cocoons to cover them. Does anyone make non-dorky looking sunglasses which can fit over a normal pair of eyeglasses?

Thanks, Rich
I have a pair of Polarized fit-overs for my eyeglasses. They're fine in the car, but for walking or cycling into the sun, glare is awful. For cycling I have Rudy Project sunglasses with prescription lenses that snap in behind the sun glass.

I will be having cartaract surgery in November, so hopefully I will no longer require the prescription.
Old 09-05-13, 04:25 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always liked the idea of transition lenses, but gave up on them many years ago. Are they better now (wider range of lightness/darkness)? I guess they still don't work in the car, right?
Old 09-05-13, 04:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I always liked the idea of transition lenses, but gave up on them many years ago. Are they better now (wider range of lightness/darkness)? I guess they still don't work in the car, right?
I have the Rudy Project transition lenses which I find really good on sunny days with lots of passing from sun into shade and vice verse. For overcast days I prefer yellow tinted, and for all sun I like polarized.
Old 09-05-13, 04:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Correct, they don't work in cars; that's why I carry a pair of fit-over cocoons in each of our cars. Furthermore when I'm trail riding in the shade they don't darken fast enough when I enter a clearing, or worse, riding in bright light and I enter a tunnel or overpass...I'm running blind for the distance. I'm also a travel photographer and when I enter a church, castle or what have you they're useless because they still take several minutes to lighten up...so much for shooting with them on!
Old 09-05-13, 04:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
I'd heard transitionals don't work. You've confirmed that. I have prescription sunglasses but it's a balancing act to decide whether it will get dark/cloudy etc and make them a liability. That is especially true if you're mountain bike riding where you go onto very shadowy trails. Carrying a second set of glasses is possible - but a nuisance.

I've never seen any non-dorky 'over-glasses' and can't really see much advantage over just wearing my prescription sunnies and carrying a pair of clear glasses. I'm not too fussy about how I look but the combo of appearance (even older than I am) and too many things/layers on my face turns me off them.
Old 09-05-13, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I have transition lenses and they seem to work just fine.

I was at my Dr. in July and if I were to do away with transition lenses there is now a company who will take you glasses and embed a small super magnet in the corner of each lens and the make a custom fit sunglasses that snap on to the magnets. This is what I am going to get next time.
Old 09-05-13, 06:50 PM

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Disposable contacts + regular sunglasses. I was looking for the same thing, but gave in for lack of a good solution. I have the Dailies contacts; I wear them on days I ride and throw them away in the evening. If you get a good fit, you will not even notice they are in.
Old 09-05-13, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go take a look a zennioptical.com. You can probably get prescription sunglasses for $30. Their glasses and frames are of pretty good quality.
Old 09-05-13, 07:30 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use the clip on sunglasses when riding. I have three pair and my favorite are a polarized pair, from Foster Grant I think. The sunglasses are about the same shape as my lenses so they don't look too bad. I like being able to flip them out of the way when my riding is not into the sun.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-05-13, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I only require reading glasses so have Duals. They have been pretty great considering they are priced to lose at $50.

https://www.dualeyewear.com/
Old 09-05-13, 08:37 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Correct, they don't work in cars; that's why I carry a pair of fit-over cocoons in each of our cars. Furthermore when I'm trail riding in the shade they don't darken fast enough when I enter a clearing, or worse, riding in bright light and I enter a tunnel or overpass...I'm running blind for the distance. I'm also a travel photographer and when I enter a church, castle or what have you they're useless because they still take several minutes to lighten up...so much for shooting with them on!
Actually, the Transitions Drivewear works behind the wheel.

I've done the clunky fit overs, but they sucked while wearing a helmet and then having to deal with them when not wearing them was a little problematic.

I got new glasses earlier this year, some full frame Ti that I picked specifically because they came with a magnetized clip on that matched up beautifully. Accidently put the clip on through the washer and dryer... $80 replacement cost means I'm now using some cheap flip up clip ons. They don't quite match my frame, but they virtually blend in with my ball cap when I flip them up .
Old 09-05-13, 08:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I only require reading glasses so have Duals. They have been pretty great considering they are priced to lose at $50.

https://www.dualeyewear.com/
They are carried at a local bike shop. I'll check them out tomorrow. Thanks!

Rich
Old 09-06-13, 06:53 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I have used magnetic clip-on sunglass attachments since they first came out. My year-old UltraClip system, which uses six magnets per lens, is much more secure than my old EasyClip system, which has only two magnets, one at each temple. Also, the newer ones are polarized.

My only problem is that my old single vision glasses are better for bicycling than my "office" progressives, which allocate 40% near, 40% mid, and only 20% far focus. The next time I see my ophthalmologist I plan to get a new set of UltraClip single visions, or perhaps mild progressives which emphasize distant vision. This will essentially give me "indoor" and "outdoor" glasses. My ophthalmologist, who is 68, is suggesting cataract surgery, on the theory that the procedure is easier with a lens which is just starting to harden, and because he can instantly cure most of my -7.0 diopter myopia. As an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" engineer, I am holding off for now and taking my antioxidants (in both food choices and supplements) and protecting my eyes with sunglasses to slow the inevitable cataract progression.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-06-13, 07:42 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts

Thanks, Rich
Our son ordered some from his optometrist for $35, then lost them. We found some at Costco for $13.99. They sell various shapes and sizes and are non-dorky, IMHO. I'm told Walmart also have some.
Old 09-06-13, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The walmart ones are great, very comfortable.You do need a smallish pair of glasses for them to fit over properly though.
Old 09-06-13, 05:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Our son ordered some from his optometrist for $35, then lost them. We found some at Costco for $13.99. They sell various shapes and sizes and are non-dorky, IMHO. I'm told Walmart also have some.
Originally Posted by spokes5678
The walmart ones are great, very comfortable.You do need a smallish pair of glasses for them to fit over properly though.
Do you have any brand/model names?
Thanks, Rich
Old 09-06-13, 06:49 PM

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I use stick-on corrective lenses on my sunglasses lenses, making them into bifocals. My distance vision is plenty good enough without correction, and the stick-ons (Optx brand, purchased at a drugstore) allow me to read the bike computer, maps, etc without switching to my everyday glasses.
Old 09-06-13, 09:54 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I use these
https://www.stickonbifocals.com/

I just put them on a pair of sun glasses
I also have them on a pair of clear safety glasses for riding in the dark
Old 09-07-13, 05:03 AM

Bikes: 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker & 2014 Brompton M6R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some additional info from a previous thread on the subject:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-The-Potholes
Old 09-07-13, 05:25 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
The Costco ones, which are polarized, are made by Visual Impact. $12.99, not $13.99. They have 4-5 different shapes to choose from.
Old 09-07-13, 07:54 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bent Bill
I use these
https://www.stickonbifocals.com/

I just put them on a pair of sun glasses
I also have them on a pair of clear safety glasses for riding in the dark
$25 US, heck my reading glasses were $2 at the dollar store.... I don't care if I see the computer while riding, I just throw my readers in the bag, and then check it after. Been thinking on the mountain bike of putting the computer under the seat, so that I don't see it. I don't really care about speed, as I ride, just the total distance and time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.