Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Great ride, but I saw none today, I'm glad

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-13-13, 10:39 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It was a great ride yesterday. These signs always make me think when I'm out on these deserted trails by myself.

It was a beautiful ride. The trails and the redwoods were stunning.

Love the view when I hit the meadows overlooking the Monterey Bay. That is the Pacific Ocean down below, and the hills above Monterey peaking out above the fog across the bay.

Last edited by con; 09-13-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-13-13, 01:55 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
Catamounts rarely attack people. There are something like 13 attacks on record since 1970 but one person in January 8, 2004 was Attacked and killed while mountain biking at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in southern Orange County California.

This includes Canada, btw. Looks like beautiful riding in redwood country.
Old 09-13-13, 01:57 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Nice bike. I hear they have a pretty demanding downhill run near there.

Old 09-13-13, 05:22 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Very nice looking riding location. Brings to mind the famous bear warning sign.....

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAQ&dur=4198
Old 09-13-13, 05:39 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by con
It was a great ride yesterday. These signs always make me think when I'm out on these deserted trails by myself.

It was a beautiful ride. The trails and the redwoods were stunning.

Love the view when I hit the meadows overlooking the Monterey Bay. That is the Pacific Ocean down below, and the hills above Monterey peaking out above the fog across the bay.
We got coywolves (part coyote part wolf) around here, biggest city in the nation, over 2.5 million people, in an area with a population of 8 million, and we have coywolves in some of the parks.......
Old 09-13-13, 05:58 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's always a good thing to know something about lions... I am a woman and think nothing of riding alone. I am more fearful of creepy men than lions. Lions will generally avoid all contact during the day and become active at dusk and into the evening. They like deer, not people so aways act like people and not deer. Know what to do if faced with a lion (act big, makes alot of noise, keep the bike between you and the lion)... anyway I would not worry. Just ride with confidence and enjoy the scenary.

BTW the man killed by the lion in So Cal (Whiting Ranch) - Mark Reynolds - did everything wrong (unfortunately) - it was dusk, he had pulled off the main road to fix a flat, he was bent over (crouching) and distracted; not paying attention. The lion was young and inexperienced and had lost his mother so was starving - just a weird series of events.

I ride in all the So Cal parks without fear. In Chino Hills it's not usual to be in the company of bobcats and coyotes who will trot along beside bike riders - thankfully there are tons of bunnies so the cats and dogs are well fed and could care less about us humans... I would be more fearful of a squirrel (cause it carries plague) than a lion, cat or coyote.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 09-13-13, 06:59 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Ugh. You had to remind me that the Black Death is alive and well and still infecting 10 to 20 people per year in the U.S. ...
Old 09-13-13, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by con

We don't have those signs where I ride, but we do have the cougars (and bears). Just last weekend my wife and I had a cougar run across the road about twenty feet in front of us while we were out marking a century ride for next Saturday.

A few decades back, someone from fish and wildlife put a collar on a cougar in NorCal. It went into the suburbs pretty much every night to get its dinner (cat food, perhaps including the cat, dog food and whatever else tickled its fancy). No one called in any sightings; they can be quite stealthy.
Old 09-13-13, 08:53 PM
con

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know the odds are very small of being attacked by a lion; however, I sometimes get about the same feeling early in morning riding alone on those trails as I did when I ocean swam alone for workouts.........Sometimes the theme music from Jaws would start playing in my head

Old 09-13-13, 09:09 PM
con

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Nice bike. I hear they have a pretty demanding downhill run near there.
I ride that Vaya up to the top and ride down, I don't take the really nasty single track. I can't do those on a cross style bike. I do take the mellower single track.

The hard core down hill boys and girls get shuttled to the top, suit up and just let gravity do all the hard work......Cheaters I say