Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I can see my fitness will take a hit... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/913235-i-can-see-my-fitness-will-take-hit.html)

NOS88 09-16-13 06:47 AM

I can see my fitness will take a hit...

The next 15 weeks are going to be interesting. I'll be working seven days a week until the end of the fall semester. The university at which I'm an adjunct has gone through some major changes in that last six weeks with lots of people being let go. I'm one of the fortunate ones that has been deemed valuable enough to keep around. However, to give me the nine credits I'm allowed to teach as an adjunct, I'm teaching on Saturday and Sunday. I've thought about taking some time off at my full time job, but we're in the middle of a project that will make or break us for the next year. It's 10 hours days until this project is over. So, I can see my fitness will take a real hit this fall. I'm trying to do what I can such as walking to the train station and continuing my commute by bike to my office, but it is still a major drop in activity. Any advice on what else I might consider?

Dudelsack 09-16-13 06:53 AM

Walking as much as possible is what I'd do. Indoor exercise like stationary bikes and eliptical machines bore the boots off me.

mkane77g 09-16-13 06:57 AM

Plan on putting on a few lbs. but enjoy the rest period.

Kai Winters 09-16-13 07:21 AM

Focus on your work and ride/exercise as the opportunity arises...

TromboneAl 09-16-13 08:25 AM

A lot of recent research says that just a few minutes of high intensity intervals per week will do the job of keeping you fit.

You'll probably get less good at long rides, but in terms of fitness, this might be just what you need. And do one strength training session per week.

Full video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz2...cise_lifestyle

az_cyclist 09-16-13 10:20 AM

Exercise when you can, and get in some higher intensity workouts if you can. Due to my work schedule, which included quite a bit of business travel, last fall I missed out on a lot of riding. I was able to regain fairly quickly

John E 09-16-13 02:44 PM

Practice aerobic commuting, if practicable. I racewalk a total of almost 6 mi / day to connect to public transit.

zvez 09-16-13 03:13 PM

consider walking/jogging on breaks and lunch.

tsl 09-16-13 06:21 PM

Trainer in the classroom. ;)

Winnershcyclist 09-17-13 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 16070239)
The next 15 weeks are going to be interesting. I'll be working seven days a week until the end of the fall semester. The university at which I'm an adjunct has gone through some major changes in that last six weeks with lots of people being let go. I'm one of the fortunate ones that has been deemed valuable enough to keep around. However, to give me the nine credits I'm allowed to teach as an adjunct, I'm teaching on Saturday and Sunday. I've thought about taking some time off at my full time job, but we're in the middle of a project that will make or break us for the next year. It's 10 hours days until this project is over. So, I can see my fitness will take a real hit this fall. I'm trying to do what I can such as walking to the train station and continuing my commute by bike to my office, but it is still a major drop in activity. Any advice on what else I might consider?

I think better to be unfit with a job than fit without

AmFaeEmbra 09-17-13 03:41 AM

Have you considered using a heavier bike for the commute?

OldTryGuy 09-17-13 09:18 AM

Some brief periods of aerobics spaced throughout the day can be very beneficial.

Originally Posted by John E (Post 16072228)
Practice aerobic commuting, if practicable. I racewalk a total of almost 6 mi / day to connect to public transit.

Just want to tip my helmet to you for your commitment to the underappreciated sport of racewalking. :thumb: True poetry in motion to the discerning eye. I could never maintain the form due to knee issues so I speed walk instead.

rumrunn6 09-17-13 12:41 PM

I did 3 months at 7days/wk + 2 nite shifts. I ran or did weight training for 20 min at lunchtime. By the end I was toast. I had big plans for my 1st day off but I think I just slept in or ran errands for my kids. had my 1st regular Sunday off in 3 yrs this past weekend and went to Martha's Vineyard for an overnight. I forgot what happy was. I might even start making plans again. good to be getting my life back.

hang in there, it's got an end

jsjcat 09-17-13 01:18 PM

Your fitness may suffer but be careful of what you eat too. Many hours of working with no down time sometimes tempts one to eat fast food which is worse than the lack of exercise. Heavier bike sounds good. Wear a pack with some weight in it. You'll get through.

rumrunn6 09-17-13 01:55 PM

tuna + carrots

Champlaincycler 09-18-13 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jsjcat (Post 16075927)
Your fitness may suffer but be careful of what you eat too. Many hours of working with no down time sometimes tempts one to eat fast food which is worse than the lack of exercise. Heavier bike sounds good. Wear a pack with some weight in it. You'll get through.

This. I had a health issue this summer that stopped me from riding for 5 weeks. I decided to radically change my diet and dropped that last 10 lbs that I just couldn't loose through cycling. When I got back on the bike I hadn't lost much fitness and it was just a few rides untill I felt I was back. Eat well ( and probably less) during down time or its a double whammy. Now, if you're one of those naturally skinny people then you can disregard this, although eating right usually makes you feel better regardless.

jdon 09-18-13 06:58 PM

Stairs! As many as you can at every opportunity.