Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'll try a tri at the Y by and buy before I die - but why?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

So I signed up for a tri. I guess this means I'll have to tell my family that I'm ..... Aw, never mind.

It all happened so fast.

The lab where I work has a 40 y/o gal (babe, actually) who dabbled in tri's last year and got about half the department charged up to Try a Tri at the Y next April.

I caught wind of it and assured them all that I'll be there, and will smoke the lot of them.

This is in spite of the fact that I can't run or swim, and the bike I ride now is not legal in tri competition.

The format is "winter rules", which is 8 mile bike ride, followed by a 2 mile run, then 300 m. swim in a pool.

Really, how hard could it be?

Right now my back has gone out again, which may put a damper on the training. I managed to swim 500m today (not continuously), and even that is causing things to hurt. It's depressing, not to mention painful.

Anyone here dabble in triathlons? I've been over to the tri forum and found out some helpful stuff. How about folks that are old enough to know better?

Old 09-21-13, 07:10 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, but the ONLY thing I'll "try at the Y" involves a condom.

I swim like a rock, and only run when my kids are spurting blood or on fire. (The bone spur in the heel doesn't help that, either)
Old 09-21-13, 07:12 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
63 with my first full Ironman hopefully completed 7 weeks, 1hr & 15 minutes from now after 15 hours of event. Started freestyle swimming in County pool March 2012 and still not good. Can't run due to knee issues but speed walk and recently started slow jogging. Today was 85 mile bike ride, tomorrow starting at 0400 a 15/18 mile walk/jog then a spinning 20 mile bike ride then 3000+ yard swim. Just want to finish the IM and have fun doing it.

Slow and easy does it at this age.
Old 09-21-13, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I would do it if the organizers would eliminate two of the sports.
Old 09-22-13, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
63 with my first full Ironman hopefully completed 7 weeks, 1hr & 15 minutes from now after 15 hours of event. Started freestyle swimming in County pool March 2012 and still not good. Can't run due to knee issues but speed walk and recently started slow jogging. Today was 85 mile bike ride, tomorrow starting at 0400 a 15/18 mile walk/jog then a spinning 20 mile bike ride then 3000+ yard swim. Just want to finish the IM and have fun doing it.

Slow and easy does it at this age.
That is awesome

Most of the lab is planning on speed walking. I'm going to start out that way, and maybe break out into a slow trot if the joints hold out.

I'm looking into total immersion swimming. In fact, I ordered the self-coaching DVD. I don't know if my gym offers it or not.

I'm going to ride my bent into the winter, then I'm going to put my road bike up on the trainer and do hard stuff on it. I've never done TT stuff on a bike. I'd love to get some input on it.

Old 09-22-13, 06:25 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
That is awesome

Most of the lab is planning on speed walking. I'm going to start out that way, and maybe break out into a slow trot if the joints hold out.

I'm looking into total immersion swimming. In fact, I ordered the self-coaching DVD. I don't know if my gym offers it or not.

I'm going to ride my bent into the winter, then I'm going to put my road bike up on the trainer and do hard stuff on it. I've never done TT stuff on a bike. I'd love to get some input on it.
Sounds like a good plan.

Total Immersion is excellent as is Swim Smooth. Problem I have with swimming besides sinking is a kick that makes me go backwards.

Got out at 0400 for 16 miles speed walk + jog as planned and now heading out for easy bike ride.
Old 09-22-13, 06:54 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The format is "winter rules", which is 8 mile bike ride, followed by a 2 mile run, then 300 m. swim in a pool.
That would be the worst possible format for me. I wouldn't drown until after I had already done the other two parts.
Old 09-22-13, 07:46 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

Total Immersion is excellent as is Swim Smooth. Problem I have with swimming besides sinking is a kick that makes me go backwards.

Got out at 0400 for 16 miles speed walk + jog as planned and now heading out for easy bike ride.
Ditto - I kick the paddleboard and end up back where I started!! However, I don't sink.

Total immersion requires a different kind of kick - i.e., unlearning the kick and then learning another style again. I'm getting too old to unlearn anything, as after I unlearn something, I may not ever relearn again, and then where would I be?
Old 09-22-13, 10:17 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done a couple of these sprint triathlons -- swim, bike, run.

On my last one I was determined to swim freestyle the whole way, and I worked on the total immersion thing also. It was good, and I improved, but still ended up swimming the last half sidestroke.

Luckily the swimming doesn't matter so much, and you probably will smoke your buddies, depending on the running.

I was in a duel with a 72 year old guy during the ride, and I finally won that, but he smoked me during the run. When I got off the bike and started running, it was torture!

You'll have a blast.

Old 09-22-13, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I noticed you're on the "Kids Bike" side of the sign. A man after my own heart.
Old 09-22-13, 11:52 AM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thats awesome d'sack !

When / where is the Tri ?
I ran the Marathon for our company for a couple of years. Although it was just shorter legs of the relay, I am not a runner. I 'trained' the first year, hard. The second year I didn't at all. There was only about 2:30 difference in times. The third year, I didn't train physically at all. But, did all this hippy, nu-age visualization and mental "training" as it were----> got n iPod and some strange music I thought would be a great soundtrack for the ensuing torture, and had at it! To be brief, the mental training yielded more positive dividends than when the emphasis was on physical training. A tri is way different and obviously needs more than relay running, I guess I will mercifully wrap up this epic bore d' force by saying not to discount the mental aspect of it all.
Very important when it's--------->

Happy training!
Old 09-22-13, 03:34 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Good luck.

For me to have any chance in that race the 300m swim would have to be vertical!
Old 09-22-13, 04:57 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Another bone spur on heel here and that rules out the running thank god. I can live without the drowning part too. Riding is how I roll.

Good luck to the willing though.
Old 09-22-13, 06:45 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So I signed up for a tri. I guess this means I'll have to tell my family that I'm ..... Aw, never mind.

It all happened so fast.

The lab where I work has a 40 y/o gal (babe, actually) who dabbled in tri's last year and got about half the department charged up to Try a Tri at the Y next April.

I caught wind of it and assured them all that I'll be there, and will smoke the lot of them.

This is in spite of the fact that I can't run or swim, and the bike I ride now is not legal in tri competition.

Really, how hard could it be?

Right now my back has gone out again, which may put a damper on the training. I managed to swim 500m today (not continuously), and even that is causing things to hurt. It's depressing, not to mention painful.

Anyone here dabble in triathlons? I've been over to the tri forum and found out some helpful stuff. How about folks that are old enough to know better?
If I trained very hard for a few months I could do that. Usually I sink when trying to swim and the last time I "ran" a mile I had searing back pain for days. My wife is talking crazy talk about doing a tri as a family; she rode her bike (one of many that have sat idle over the years) for the first time in 20 years last month.
Old 09-22-13, 07:05 PM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
[h=2]I'll try a tri at the Y by and buy before I die - but why?[/h]
That's what happens when you read Dr. Seuss while stoned
Old 09-22-13, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
Thats awesome d'sack !

When / where is the Tri ?
I ran the Marathon for our company for a couple of years. Although it was just shorter legs of the relay, I am not a runner. I 'trained' the first year, hard. The second year I didn't at all. There was only about 2:30 difference in times. The third year, I didn't train physically at all. But, did all this hippy, nu-age visualization and mental "training" as it were----> got n iPod and some strange music I thought would be a great soundtrack for the ensuing torture, and had at it! To be brief, the mental training yielded more positive dividends than when the emphasis was on physical training. A tri is way different and obviously needs more than relay running, I guess I will mercifully wrap up this epic bore d' force by saying not to discount the mental aspect of it all.
Very important when it's--------->

Happy training!
It's at the New Albany Y.

I practiced tumble turns yesterday and almost pulled it off.

My back is killing me right now, and swimming did not loosen it up. I'm begging my PT to see me tomorrow.

Injury is really the only thing I'm worried about. That, and the bricks. I understand the first brick or two is a very unpleasant experience.

Old 09-22-13, 08:34 PM

Bikes: KHS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got into tris this year. I found swimming very difficult and continue to struggle with it. The biking and running are pretty good. I found it very enjoyable. I don't get bored as easily because I practise each sport 2 x per week. The triathletes seem to be a very friendly and supportive group with a lot less ego than some other groups I've run across. There are a lot of helpful people at Beginnertriathlete.com. You may want to ask questions there.
Old 09-23-13, 08:43 AM

It's at the New Albany Y.

I practiced tumble turns yesterday and almost pulled it off.

My back is killing me right now, and swimming did not loosen it up. I'm begging my PT to see me tomorrow.

Injury is really the only thing I'm worried about. That, and the bricks. I understand the first brick or two is a very unpleasant experience.
Going for a flip turn is fantastic. I would think the actual swimming might not be the best for relaxing, loosening up your back since so much emphasis is on holding form using core strength.

Injury from OVER exertion or doing something dumb, e.g.-I couldn't unclip right shoe yesterday and went over on right side-not good, is always my concern. 6 weeks 5 days till IMFL and I messed up my right knee.

Take it easy and be careful. Do as I say not as I do.
Old 09-23-13, 12:08 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
That's what happens when you read Dr. Seuss while stoned
Or George Carlin.

Old 09-23-13, 02:06 PM

Going for a flip turn is fantastic. I would think the actual swimming might not be the best for relaxing, loosening up your back since so much emphasis is on holding form using core strength.

Injury from OVER exertion or doing something dumb, e.g.-I couldn't unclip right shoe yesterday and went over on right side-not good, is always my concern. 6 weeks 5 days till IMFL and I messed up my right knee.

Take it easy and be careful. Do as I say not as I do.
I just finished up with the therapist. He said pretty much the same, he actually did not want me to swim until things loosen up a bit. He told me to go ride my bent.

Old 09-25-13, 09:13 AM

So I told the peeps ​that the best strategy for training was to be free of injury, and I've jacked myself up so bad even my "I can fix anything" physical therapist told me I just have to cool my jets for a few days. Well darn it.

Old 09-25-13, 09:44 AM

So I told the peeps ​that the best strategy for training was to be free of injury, and I've jacked myself up so bad even my "I can fix anything" physical therapist told me I just have to cool my jets for a few days. Well darn it.
Great advice Knows his stuff.

When you start again take it easy and it will come back. We are older rubber bands that should not be over stretched. You'll be fine.
Old 09-26-13, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Eight miles, even on an upright - piffle! 300 yards swimming - all I'd need is a couple weeks' practice. Running two miles - would kill me!