Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should a 60 years old ride his bike everyday?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Should a 60 years old ride his bike everyday?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 60. I ride every day, weather permitting. From spring to late fall I average over 200 miles/week, even with a day off occasionally. In winter, I cut back to 100-120 miles/week---VERY weather permitting. I have ridden in light snow, but the big danger in winter is black ice.

Injury? Unless you crash or get hit by a motor vehicle, the risk of injury arises from fit issues---wrong seat height/position, poor pedaling mechanics like improper foot placement or mashing instead of spinning---stuff like that.

The big risk is overtraining---or as some astute person posted recently, under-resting. Some people don't need rest days. many do. You need to listen to your body. My gauge for taking a rest day is, if I do a big/fast ride one day, and my legs feel leaden towards the end of the next day's recovery ride, I take the following day off completely.
Old 09-23-13, 08:13 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm 62 and ride 4-5 days a week. 100 - 200 miles a week all year long. Last year only 1200 miles but I had heart surgery and that put me down for 3 months. Now it seems that I have gotten back into fair shape again and am doing lots more than I have in the last 8 years. So listen to your body, push when you can, and rest when you feel like it. Remember to take a nap once in a while. If you are not smiling when you ride, then you are pushing too hard.
Old 09-23-13, 08:33 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Im 75 and ride 30 to 35 miles every other day. I even slip in an exta 2 or 3 days a month. How ever I do ride either a recumbent bike or trike.
Old 09-24-13, 09:11 AM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I ride every day. It's my main means of transportation for getting around town for things like the market, the gym, the coffee shop, sporting events etc. Anything under 10 miles with very few exceptions is by bike. I'm retired by the way.

I also do longer road and MUP rides often but there is no rhyme or reason to when I do those rides.
Old 09-24-13, 10:10 AM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I'm 57, overweight because of a health problem we just figured out, and I ride at least 3-4 days a week. Only reason I don't ride on a particular day is because legs are dead or I have chores. I have a friend who's almost 95. He's pissed because he used to go out for 60 mile rides and the Doc told him to take it easy (I think he had hip replacement surgery) but he still does 100 miles a week.
If something starts to hurt, then get it checked. My orthopedist told me I need to add walking into my exercise program to keep some pressure on my back so it won't get worse (broke it in 1982), so as long as you are pain free and you do some cross training, you should be good to go. Learn to listen to your body. Differentiate between soreness from pushing yourself and pain from something being wrong. Pain means "STOP" and go get it checked out before it gets too bad.
Old 09-24-13, 09:04 PM

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 61 years old. 235 lbs (down from 275), I built and ride 4 different bikes. Two road/touring, one MTB, one fixie. 2 flat bars, one bum bars, one north road bars. I have never been comfortable with road bars (except flipped). I hate hills. I ride in street clothes, not leotards. I don't want to look like an Easter egg.

I ride every nice day. Hoping to extend it to the winter this year. My daily average ride is 20 miles on MUP. Biking is my only fitness excercise. It's like going out and playing as a kid. I am diabetic and a 2-3 hr ride knocks my blood glucose way down, which is good. Then I can have Haagen Dasz.

This summer was my first fixie, first aluminum frame, first North Road bars. I love the fixie and the North Roads. Undecided on Aluminum frame. It is shiny, though.

I see a LOT of Silver Surfers around here and I want to ride forever.

Peace.

Last edited by jodphoto; 09-24-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 09:17 PM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 71 and ride 6 to 30 miles an average of six days per week. I've been doing this for about a year. I was a reasonably good club rider 45-50 years ago and have not been athletic since. I am 50# overweight; lost a few and want to end up around 190#. No health issues that affect my riding.

I love riding and cant see myself stopping anytime soon. I am a wrench by nature and have been having a helluva good time learning about how bikes have changed/improved since I stopped riding hard in the middle of the last century ;o)

Yeah, it's dangerous but I do what I can about minimizing that. What's more dangerous is being afraid and not living. As Christopher Hitchens said: "The unlived life is not worth examining."

Like many folks my age, I am often surprised to wake up in the morning, and, realizing I've made through another night, want to celebrate by --- Riding My Bike!

Joe
Old 09-25-13, 10:45 AM

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 69, 217 lbs (trying to get down to 185/190) and I generally ride 30 miles Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with 5 mile rides on Tuesday and Thursday for a 100 mile per week total. My average speeds just hit 13 mph for my 30 mile rides.

When the weather is not good (rain, cold, and, yes, it does get too cold for me to ride), I go to my church's gym and use their stationary bike or walk. I find the stationary bike is harder than riding a regular bike outside.

The three medical problems I have are hypertension (controlled very well by drugs), high cholesterol (should be dropping), and COPD from forty-six years of smoking. I've been off the cigarettes for a little over five years now. What I am going to do is have my doctor give me a thorough physical this December and see if I'm making progress and if there are any issues we need to address.

Quite frankly, I'm feeling a lot better than I have in years and hope this continues.

As for the poster who said he'd pull a Kevorkian when he couldn't ride: Just don't do what one of my young soldiers did many years ago. The idiot tried to commit suicide by eating four boxes of a famous chocolate-flavored laxative!! Most miserable one human being I've ever seen and wasn't helped at all by all the rest of us laughing at him.
Old 09-25-13, 10:50 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Should decree . I May ride my bike every day , it is a choice. am I required?

not, if I don't want to leave the house. , but if no beer I will
Old 09-25-13, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Masi CX, Cannondale CAAD X

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
If he rides his bike every day of his life, he'll have more days in his life.
And more life in his days!
Old 09-25-13, 05:53 PM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I'm 64 and have CHF (congestive heart failure) with an EF (ejection fraction) of 20%. My wife.... not going to post her age and I moved to FL a few years ago to be able to ride a much as possible. Usually ride 20 to 30 miles a day. We just passed the 6.5k mile mark for the year. Get on the bike.... ride as much as you want..... and enjoy the ride!!!
Old 09-25-13, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I'll preface this by saying that I have driven my car once in the past 59 days. I am 61 and I like to ride my age 2-3 times a week and use normal utility and transportation cycling as "recovery" days. Those are the days I work in a little yoga and weight lifting also. I would drive my car more often, but I haven't been playing golf much and that's what I use it for, to get the clubs to the course.

Marc
Old 09-26-13, 07:06 PM
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should a 60 year old ride his bike everyday?

Well I hope so! I need something to look forward to in retirement.
Old 09-27-13, 03:41 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Over 6,000 miles YTD riding 6 days a week on a road bike with aero bars. Ride an average of 35 to 45 miles a day. I'll be 67 on the 15th of October. The answer to your question is "Yes!"

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress